aberdeen-music

how to ship a guitar amp

Paul G

I'm trying to sell a Marshall head and have had plenty of interest from folk down in England, but nobody here seems to be interested. I'm reluctant to go down this road, as I've heard loads of horror stories about damage (real and alleged) to amps in transit. I also know how much of a pain in the arse some delivery companies can be. I want to avoid my amp being smashed by delivery muppets and/or being ripped off by anybody alledging damage that hasn't been done.

Have any of you folks shipped amps that you've sold? Good or bad experiences? Any advice is totally welcome.

Alternatively, if anybody here wants to buy it, let me know!

Here's the amp too...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/equipment/65005-fs-marshall-jcm-900-hi-gain-dual-reverb-50w-head.html

I sold an Orange Rocker 30 head and sent it down south a few months ago. I boxed it and packed it to high hilt, insured it and it got down the road fine. I think shipping and insurance came to like 40 with DHL. I'd be a bit iffy doing it out with eBay though in case the guy was a dodger, although I think eBay charges were about 40 too.

By the time you add it all up you get pretty raped by the whole process from my experience.

Thanks for the advice. I figured it would be expensive, but 40, ouch! I considered Ebay, but have heard so many horror stories about paypal buyer protection that I don't think I'd go there. Then there's the fees!#

If I'd know you were selling the Rocker, I might have taken it off you! As it happens I'm selling this stuff to pay off a TH30 I bought a month ago.

As for the Ibanez, nope, I still have it. I'm open to offers on this one too.

Use a website like Interparcel or ParcelMonkey to find the best price for couriers. I sent away my DSL50 for 11.99 through Interparcel, though the packaging was quite expensive.

You can pick and choose between the couriers it compares prices for. I'd personally avoid DHL. My DSL50 took a pretty bad bash despite being packaged like a tank. I had it insured though, and got the full value of the amp back, even though it was just a crack in the chassis corner. Profit!

I've heard plenty of bad things about DHL in general. I'd go with Parcel Force if possible.

Use a website like Interparcel or ParcelMonkey to find the best price for couriers. I sent away my DSL50 for 11.99 through Interparcel, though the packaging was quite expensive.

You can pick and choose between the couriers it compares prices for. I'd personally avoid DHL. My DSL50 took a pretty bad bash despite being packaged like a tank. I had it insured though, and got the full value of the amp back, even though it was just a crack in the chassis corner. Profit!

I've heard plenty of bad things about DHL in general. I'd go with Parcel Force if possible.

Parcel Force are evil. I dunno where they stand on amps but as far as musical instruments go they cap the maximum insurance value depending on the swankiness of service you choose. express48 gives you a whopping 50 cover, express9, express10, expressAM gives you 200. That is the absolute max. They will happily take your money at the post office for higher insurance cover but they won't pay out if it all goes wrong. Check the small print. Shower of bastards.

UK and worldwide parcel sending and delivery services from Parcelforce Worldwide

"Musical instruments - no enhanced compensation is available" - but they'll happily not bother to ask you what the parcel contains and sell you enhanced cover you can't claim on.

UK and worldwide parcel sending and delivery services from Parcelforce Worldwide

"Musical instruments will only be covered up to the amount of inclusive compensation for loss or damage which varies per service. "

I could go on, but basically it pisses me off too much. Suffice to say that I avoid Parcel Force whenever possible.

I stand corrected then. That's good knowledge to know too. I've heard alot of bad things about DHL, and them managing to bash my amp chassis in despite it being wrapped up like Alcatraz didn't do them any favours. I did get a refund of 310 on my amp though (270 sale plus postage and packing refunded).

So, good cover, but they might toss it around like a rugby ball.

I've shipped guitars before with no problems, just in double or tripple cardboard and bubble wrap. Got a guitar shipped from Ukraine packaged the same with no issues.

I've also moved some fairly hefty cars parts with no issues, the biggest was a complete engine. Courier Services - UK Delivery Service Companies can get you some good deals on couriers but I usually just use cheapest on interparcel.com. I've had no problems from UPS, Parcel force, Hermes or DHL.

You have to package stuff well though, its just a parcel to the driver/depo/other driver/other depo/posty they have millions to deal with, they wont give a fuck if its fragile valve amp that's not been package well. Amps are generally heavy so are probably going at the bottom of the pile in the van, there's going to be stuff stacked on top of them as noone's going to drive a van with one parcel in it.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think I'm still gonna avoid shipping my amp just now to save myself some of this hassle. Sounds like the delivery alone is a bit of a minefield. Definitely want to avoid Ebay/Paypal too - fees are steep and the buyer protection has lead to me essentially giving (thankfully less expensive) things away to unscrupulous folks in the past.