aberdeen-music

Death Cab for Cutie - Codes and Keys

Guest B. Arthur

Guest B. Arthur

Well, it was streaming online in its entirety, so I'm assuming some of you guys have heard it.

Thoughts so far? To me, its a lot more electronically driven, it seems. more sampled drums and synths in places.

Some great songs on there, but others that bored me to tears.

Guest B. Arthur

I think it sounds like it should have come between Plans and Narrow Stairs, as it's much more of a transitional sound. Perhaps they are heading back to the indie guitar sound of their earlier albums, to try and recover from the shit-heap that was Narrow Stairs.

The new record is predictably meh, just as the last two were.

Their quality is almost exactly inverse to their chronology, with a couple of minor changes:

Facts > Airplanes > Photo Album > Transatlanticism > Plans > Narrow Stairs

Gonna reserve judgment for another coupla listens of the new one, but so far I am underwhelmed.

This is maybe only semi relevant to this thread, but I noticed that the arrangement morrissey's band play of This Charming Man is the same as Death Cab's cover from the You Can Play These Songs with Chords demo album.

YouTube - ‪morrissey this charming man live on the johnathan ross show‬‏

As for the new album, I have only heard the single which I enjoyed. Going to wait till the album is out before I listen to anything else from it.

Guest B. Arthur
This is maybe only semi relevant to this thread, but I noticed that the arrangement morrissey's band play of This Charming Man is the same as Death Cab's cover from the You Can Play These Songs with Chords demo album.

I don't understand what you mean. You mean Morrissey's band play it "the Death Cab way" rather than "The Smiths way" ???

I don't understand what you mean. You mean Morrissey's band play it "the Death Cab way" rather than "The Smiths way" ???

Yes, that is what I meant. Both versions are pretty much the same and Death Cab did it that way before Morrissey. Was just wondering if Morrissey had heard it and decided to play it that way as both are so similar.

Yes, that is what I meant. Both versions are pretty much the same and Death Cab did it that way before Morrissey. Was just wondering if Morrissey had heard it and decided to play it that way as both are so similar.

I wouldn't imagine Moz wanted to ape their version, maybe one of his band did though. At least he gets the lyrics right in his version...

Guest B. Arthur

Pardon the ignorance, but do his band play it differently to how The Smiths play/ed it!? I'm still unsure what point is being made here.

Pardon the ignorance, but do his band play it differently to how The Smiths play/ed it!? I'm still unsure what point is being made here.

No jangly Marr style guitars in the way Morrissey's band play it. Instead its distorted power chords. Much like the way Death Cab covered it.

Thats a link to the way Morrissey has played it for the last couple of years.

And thats a link to Death Cab's cover from like 15 years ago.

I don't get the Narrow Stairs hate, I think that it's a great record. I've listened to Codes and Keys a few times and I'm really liking it. I would say that it's a stone groove.

Bass groove on 'I Will Possess Your Heart' is awesome, but any song that takes 4 minutes to "start" is RARELY worth the wait.