aberdeen-music

Bob Dylan - 70 today

Alphas

So what are your favourite Dylan songs to mark the occasion.

Things Have Changed (First song he played the first time I saw him, fantastic lyrics)

Ballad of a Thin Man

A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall

Probably already a thread about his songs but I'm in a hurry to leave work so don't have time to dig it out!

Oh god where does one begin?

A few of mine are

From A Buick 6

Subterranean Homesick Blues

Like A Rolling Stone

Gates Of Eden

I Want You

Hurricane

Political World

Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

Someday Baby

Outlaw Blues

Just ten plucked off the top of me head!

I was having a Dylan night last night and listened to a couple of his 80's efforts 'Infidels' and 'Empire Burlesque' and actually they feature some really good songs.

I like his Christmas album as well but not to be compared to his other work, I tend to listen as a stand alone album, its most surreal!

As far as individual tracks go, I am crazy about some of his later, more wistful stuff like Mississippi and Not Dark Yet. They are incredible. The Slow Train Coming record, and its title track in particular, is probably my most-listened-to Dylan record; I think it is one of the best records of all time.

One More Cup of Coffee, O Sister, You're a Big Girl Now, Visions of Johanna, Tom Thumb's Blues, Ballad of a Thin Man, Girl From the North Country...Jesus, the list is endless.

Without question, the greatest artist ever.

But really, pretty much all of them up until Nashville Skyline, then just a few until Planet Waves, then everything off Blood On The Tracks and Desire, then pretty much nothing until World Gone Wrong, then some intermittent peaks and troughs. I think most Dylan fans would concur.

Disagree, as mentioned by others Slow Train Coming and Infidels are both good, aided of course by The Knopf. :)

And if you haven't already, go and seek out his Theme Time radio shows. They are fucking amazing, he is hilarious (good tunes too).

My favourite Dylan songs change all the time but there is three or four which are constant!

Ill keep it with mine (biograph version).

Girl from the North Country

Fourth Time Around

Tell Me Momma / anything of disc 2 of 1966 Free Trade show.

Desolation Row

And my favourite is Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol.

Myself and Iain recorded a version of it as a free download this week:

help yourelf if you want it.

The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll | Steven Milne

I think the thing with Dylan is there is always quality in his work even the albums in the 80's such as Infidels and Empire Burlesque don't sound too bad production wise unlike say the Stones whose 80's albums suffered badly from the poor tinny production techniques of the time.

Even those who may not like his gruff tones surely must appreciate his body of work and legacy. Long love Bob!