aberdeen-music

Marischal College

Guest B. Arthur

I like how clean it is now. I assume they gave it some kind of industrial steam clean that makes it look like every single piece of masonry was replaced, rather than actually having replaced every single piece of masonry.

some might say it's lost its gothic charm though.

It looks like a right mismatch since they're not touching that building that's connected to the side, which is still dirty and aged. It's a small bit of building. They could have at least given it a rinse for consistency.

Well, I was told this was due to the Church of Scotland owning the church attached to the college. The council requested that they sand blast the church, but the church told them that they could stick it up their arses as it'll look shit (paraphrasing here). Apparently the council has now imposed an ASBO on the Church of Scotland in an attempt to get them to agree to cleaning the church up.

Guest B. Arthur
Well, I was told this was due to the Church of Scotland owning the church attached to the college. The council requested that they sand blast the church, but the church told them that they could stick it up their arses as it'll look shit (paraphrasing here). Apparently the council has now imposed an ASBO on the Church of Scotland in an attempt to get them to agree to cleaning the church up.

I believe the Church part is actually for sale, so until someone buys it and agrees to it being the same finish as the rest of the College, it's gonna look stupid and out-of-place.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. HR moved in on Monday. They are the only ones in so far. Marischal College was meant to be for the most customer facing departments within the council due to the new state of the art customer service hub, yet the first two departments to move in are HR are Finance. The two most non-customer facing departments in the council. We're getting shunted to the decrepit Crown House in August. That place is falling apart more than St Nicks. Pointless.

Guest Gladstone

HR - jobs for people who couldn't get a job.

A bit like recruitment agencies. A made up job for someone who couldn't find a job somewhere else. It's genius really. There is an incredible amount of money in recruitment. The bastards.

EDIT: I just remembered saying something to my Mum about "HR" the other day and she didn't know what HR meant. She's never worked anywhere that has an HR department - fucking bliss.

Human Resources sounds sinister, like people harvesting does, digging up fresh souls from the anthroposphere.

indeed and I've heard that they're bigger and badder and rougher and tougher, in other words sucka there is no other.

They also want to kiss themselves. o_O

With regards to St Nic House, a chartered surveyor told me a couple of years ago that places like St Nic House were going to have to be taken down because the cost of making them compliant with energy efficiency regulations - Energy Performance Certificates and all that bollocks - would be more than to simply rip them down.

For example, the space between each floor isn't big enough to install the necessary insulation to make it compliant. If you put the insulation in, the ceilings won't be high enough for some other health and safety bullshit. The windows all let out far too much heat etc etc. Basically, to make it comply, you'd pretty much have to take out everything inside it and build it again from the inside out, replace all the windows etc etc so it becomes so enormously expensive that it would just be cheaper to flatten it.

Now - I assume that Marischal College wasn't exactly energy efficient, so all that stuff would have had to happen there, but then it was a complete shell when they started working on it this time around - and it looks a shite sight better than St Nic House.

(How much of that is true, I have no idea)

It's not really about being compliant - the vast majority of buildings in Aberdeen have fairly shit EPC ratings. Occupiers these days like raised floor access, comfort cooling and suspended acoustic tiled ceilings with recessed fluorescent lighting. The floor to ceiling height in St Nick's house is too small to retro-fit these sorts of things so the building becomes redundant.

It's the cost of borrowing and a lack of available funding that's disrupting plans to redevelop just now, not the cost of demolition.