aberdeen-music

LA Noire

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon have only just despatched my copy. I'll be pretty pissed off if it doesn't get here tomorrow.

Massive fan of James Ellroy's books and this looks like it's been heavily influenced by them. Charlie Brooker got an advance copy and has been tweeting some thoughts through the week. He reckons it's very evocative of Lucasarts point and click adventures. Sounds fantastic.

Sweet I was hoping it would have elements that remind you of point and clicks. I still remember spending hours looking for clues and trying to get the endings in the Blade Runner game on the PC.

Yeah Amazon are notoriously rubbish for pre orders. Game usually get you it a day early. I also bought the copy with the extra downloadable case to solve.

Hum ho. I've been reading reviews of it for months now, just not sure its my cup of tea. I love the GTA games, but this looks like it might have almost been a great game. Maybe if they do a sequal it will look slightly more appealing and have fewer flaws. Let me know what you think though, as you can't always trust IGN/Gamerspot etc.

I've learned not to trust IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers as they've given some brilliant games really mediocre reviews, but remember that 8.0+ out of 10 is still a pretty good score in terms of scale and I've yet to see one review below that for LA Noire.

This game reminds me so much of LA Confidential. Preordered, hoping it arrives today.

Amazon have only just despatched my copy. I'll be pretty pissed off if it doesn't get here tomorrow.

Massive fan of James Ellroy's books and this looks like it's been heavily influenced by them. Charlie Brooker got an advance copy and has been tweeting some thoughts through the week. He reckons it's very evocative of Lucasarts point and click adventures. Sounds fantastic.

Dammit Chris!!! Some of us have exams to revise for and sit!!

Just went to Tesco to pick up a copy.

Everyone at the self-service tills was buying it and the guy working was looking stressed a he kept having to go unlock those plastic boxes.

I have no sympathy as I didn't care I just wanted to get home to play it!

First impressions:

Surprised to see 3 discs in the box. Been a while since disc changes have been a part of my gaming experience.

There's a lot of cutscenes.

I'm not sure I like the one case at a time structure. I understand why they've done it - to give the game a TV series feel. Each case is like an episode in a police procedural series. But personally I'd prefer it to go a bit more like the old Police Quest games where you patrolled around and the game would trigger a case starting in the engine itself.

Apart from that I'm loving it so far. The interview/interrogation sections are genuinely ace and not always easy to get right. The action scenes are a good break from the concentration required for the actual casework. Oh and the sheer quality of the production is amazing. Everyone's been raving about the facial motion capture and rightly so. It's on a completely different plane to every other game in that respect.

Its far from perfect, I'm not keen on the linear nature of the cases and while the interrogation is clever, they don't seem to affect the outcome other than your missiotn rating. One early mission excepted.

Its also a bit buggy in places, my partner refused toget out of a lift on one mission.

In saying that, the production is great, the story is engaging and it plays pretty well. The interrogation is brilliant and genuinely tricky. Certainly a cracking game, but could be even better.

It's very good. It's not GTA though if that's what you're looking for (I think it's better personally I don't like all the random guff in GTA). There is a massive city and it's pretty awesome but it's empty. The side missions you just get while driving between places in the main storyline which is a linear stream of cases.

The style it's done in however is wonderful and it really feels like you're playing a noire film the cases are really interesting and different. 8.5/10 from me.

Humming and heying over buying this. Not sure if it's my cup of tea. I'm a very casual gamer and I lack commitment to get really into a game cos I only play a couple hours a week. I don't like slow games with loads of cut scenes, and I like my games nice and linear, not like GTA where you can do it in any order you like. Only game I've really properly got obsessed with lately was Arkham Asylum. Got a bit of a void since I completed it so need something new...

Humming and heying over buying this. Not sure if it's my cup of tea. I'm a very casual gamer and I lack commitment to get really into a game cos I only play a couple hours a week. I don't like slow games with loads of cut scenes, and I like my games nice and linear, not like GTA where you can do it in any order you like. Only game I've really properly got obsessed with lately was Arkham Asylum. Got a bit of a void since I completed it so need something new...

The way the cases are done would probably suit you then as they are almost like chapters so if you just had an hour here or there to play you could do a case then stop. There are quite a lot of cut scenes though but they're pretty cool.

Dunno if that helps you but it's certainly linear so you'd be fine with that.

I can't fucking WAIT for arkham city!

If it's not the greatest sequel to ever happen I'll fucking kill myself!

xx

As Cap USA said it's very linear. The sandbox element like GTA isn't utilised much at all so there's little benefit to just driving around and avoiding the casework.

I say buy it Lucky. I'm pretty similar in that I have a terrible attention span, but I'm finding the way it's divided into chapters really good for picking it up for just an hour or two. It's pretty rewarding too... the game doesn't let you get completely stuck, and if you fuck up a chase or something you don't have to do a whole lot of stuff over just to get back to where you went wrong. Despite all that, it's still really satisfying.

Just got onto the third disc myself. I love this game.