aberdeen-music

Pianist intending to form a casual jazz band

Eeb elbumb

This thread is intended to see who (if anybody) is interested before I do a proper search: putting up ads in music shops etc.

I'm classically trained with a love of jazz. In the last few months I have been putting my fingers to quite a bit of jazz with some good results, however playing solo isn't as fun as playing in a group!

So, after exam season is over I intend to assemble a group of about 3-5 musicians. We'd start out jamming to variety of jazz standards before deciding if and in what direction we're going to carry on based on how the jamming sessions go.

This would occur probably in late june/mid-july with practice once every week although no long term commitment to begin with. The style of jazz to be played will be flexible as my main concern is having a good jam :up:!

Hopefully there are a few other musicians here in the same situation; or maybe a casual summer jazz jamming just sounds like fun. :D

tl;dr - lonely pianist seeks others to play some jazz, with the view to forming a band if all goes well.

Guest droid
This thread is intended to see who (if anybody) is interested before I do a proper search: putting up ads in music shops etc.

I'm classically trained with a love of jazz. In the last few months I have been putting my fingers to quite a bit of jazz with some good results, however playing solo isn't as fun as playing in a group!

So, after exam season is over I intend to assemble a group of about 3-5 musicians. We'd start out jamming to variety of jazz standards before deciding if and in what direction we're going to carry on based on how the jamming sessions go.

This would occur probably in late june/mid-july with practice once every week although no long term commitment to begin with. The style of jazz to be played will be flexible as my main concern is having a good jam :up:!

Hopefully there are a few other musicians here in the same situation; or maybe a casual summer jazz jamming just sounds like fun. :D

tl;dr - lonely pianist seeks others to play some jazz, with the view to forming a band if all goes well.

How about some Jazz Funk ?

I'm not really concerned about the style, I'm happy to go along with the majority consensus. That being said, I'm likely to get a lot more enjoyment playing in a style that I love.

To give you an idea of my tastes: I'm a big fan of Miles Davis (Milestones and Kind of Blue are my favourites), Bill Evans, Monk and Coltrane to name a few. Admittedly I am conservative to a degree. For example, I am ambivilent about late-Miles Davis: I quite like In A Silent Way, but currently struggle to get into Bitches Brew or On The Corner.

Woop! It'll be a few weeks before I start getting everything together and things like what everybody wants to play can be sorted out then :). It'd be great if you could PM your e-mail so I can contact you.

Also, d'you know of any places which provide band practice rooms with drums and a piano (electric or accoustic) or keyboards? I was going to go down to Bruce Millers and see if they hire out their music rooms for an hour or so of band practice. Maybe Captain Toms?

sticks in hand...

it's a real pity that you're not into the later Miles electric stuff, cause that's what makes me burn, but I'd be up for a jam just to see what music we can come up with, I have a mate who's a great jazz sax-a-ma-foam player who blows a good tune and knows loads of the standards. Give me a shout when your ready cause my paiste cymbals have been just sat sitting waiting for something good to play... Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...