aberdeen-music

Ridiculous News

Soda Jerk

two people work in a supermarket, one has been there for 2 months and is 16, one has been there 2 days and is 23. The 23 year old gets more money. How is that fair?

The 23 year old has more than likely held other positions in other jobs and has more experience in a work based environment. They are also likely to be more mature and less of a risk than their 16 year old counterpart. The 16 year old also won't be able to do several of the general supermarket tasks i.e selling alcohol etc

• Upvote 1

Well I disagree. It is unfair. The only things 16 year olds can't legally do that 18 and 21 year olds can is drink and smoke. They get paid more to pay for addictions? Because 16 year olds can have kids and have a place to rent. And with minimum wage being so low, when they find themselves in that position where they've had a kid too young and need a job quick, they might only get jobs that pay minimum wage, and with a kid and a flat to pay for they'd probably be better off on the dole, which many are.

Well I disagree. It is unfair. The only things 16 year olds can't legally do that 18 and 21 year olds can is drink and smoke. They get paid more to pay for addictions? Because 16 year olds can have kids and have a place to rent. And with minimum wage being so low, when they find themselves in that position where they've had a kid too young and need a job quick, they might only get jobs that pay minimum wage, and with a kid and a flat to pay for they'd probably be better off on the dole, which many are.

It's all about experience. You're missing the point (like you do with a lot of things it seems).

It's all about experience. You're missing the point (like you do with a lot of things it seems).

Say someone has worked since 16, and is 18 now. they have 2 years experience. Someone that went to uni and couldn't get a job at the end of it goes and works with our 18 year old. The uni graduate is 21. They're degree has nothing to do with the job so they have 0 years experience but get paid more. How's that fair then?

How's the view from up there? The point is they are less likely to have experience. They are then more attractive to employers as they don't have to pay them as much and you get your foot on the first rung of the ladder of employment.

Say someone has worked since 16, and is 18 now. they have 2 years experience. Someone that went to uni and couldn't get a job at the end of it goes and works with our 18 year old. The uni graduate is 21. They're degree has nothing to do with the job so they have 0 years experience but get paid more. How's that fair then?

They are more mature, have shown dedication to something and an aptitude for higher learning and are more than likely going to show the traits that may lead to them moving up through promotion than someone who's just worked in that job since they were 16. Chances are that 18 yeare old will get opportunities as well and if they're good enough at their job will more than likely be getting paid above minimum wage by their employer anyway.

How's the view from up there? The point is they are less likely to have experience. They are then more attractive to employers as they don't have to pay them as much and you get your foot on the first rung of the ladder of employment.

I knew that would get picked up on, I was just hoping it was Alkaline that it would annoy ;)

And to be fair, most of the minimum wage jobs I've worked in, the staff were all young to save money. Paying out less money > experience. I mean, how much experience does a shelf stacker really need vs how much money does the employer want to pay out.

They are more mature,

Bullshit.

My first job, in a chipper, I was paid minimum wage, as was everyone else. The 20 odd year olds and 30 odd year olds would do stuff like not clean up right, fuck off early etc. One even came in off her face and I had to do the cooking all night. I was getting paid a lot less.

My next job, also minimum wage, we had the same sort of folk, in their 20s and 30s, buggering off early, taking longer breaks and stuff. Oh, and one girl who was top tier minimum wage was caught stealing mobile phone top ups.

I knew that would get picked up on, I was just hoping it was Alkaline that it would annoy ;)

And to be fair, most of the minimum wage jobs I've worked in, the staff were all young to save money. Paying out less money > experience. I mean, how much experience does a shelf stacker really need vs how much money does the employer want to pay out.

It's not experience with stacking shelves that they're looking at though, it's positions of responsibilty, abilty to interact in working groups with other adults and members of the public and so on. At 16-23 most people haven't adequately developed thos skills (especially workplace and personal responsibility).

Bullshit.

My first job, in a chipper, I was paid minimum wage, as was everyone else. The 20 odd year olds and 30 odd year olds would do stuff like not clean up right, fuck off early etc. One even came in off her face and I had to do the cooking all night. I was getting paid a lot less.

My next job, also minimum wage, we had the same sort of folk, in their 20s and 30s, buggering off early, taking longer breaks and stuff. Oh, and one girl who was top tier minimum wage was caught stealing mobile phone top ups.

Generally people get more mature and are more responsible as they get older. There will of course be exceptions to that generalisation but by and large it's true. You'll kick yourself reading some of the bullshit you have written on here in your younger years when you look back at it 10 years from now, i know i do myself and i'm sure some of the other older members will agree.

• Upvote 1

A sixteen year old can't do a lot of things an 18 year old can do, much like a 18 year old can't do things a 21 year old can do.

When I started working at 16 for McDonald's I couldn't work after 11pm without permission from my parents, and working until 3am was totally out of the question. I also had to have a certain length of time between shifts, which decreased with age until it got to 12 hours rest between shifts. I was also unable to carry out some of the tasks that were routine due to health and safety laws.

Minimum wage is there to ensure workers are not relying on tips to make a living.

A sixteen year old can't do a lot of things an 18 year old can do, much like a 18 year old can't do things a 21 year old can do.

When I started working at 16 for Mcdonald's I couldn't work after 11pm without permission from my parents, and working until 3am was totally out of the question. I also had to have a certain length of time between shifts, which decreased with age until it got to 12 hours rest between shifts. I was also unable to carry out some of the tasks that were routine due to health and safety laws.

Minimum wage is there to ensure workers are not relying on tips to make a living.

I was 15 and working in a chipper until 5am...

I was 15 and working in a chipper until 5am...

Well your employer was breaking so many laws it's not funny

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/work_s/work_young_people_s/young_people_and_employment_scotland.htm]

Children and young people under minimum school leaving age

There are strict limits to the hours children and young people under school leaving age are allowed to work. You must not work:-

[*]during school hours on any school day

[*]for more than two hours on any school day or for more than 12 hours in any week in which you are required to go to school

[*]for more than two hours on a Sunday

[*]for more than eight hours (five hours if you are under 15) on any day which is not a school day or a Sunday

[*]before 7am or after 7pm

[*]for more than 35 hours (25 if you are under the age of 15) in any week in which you are not required to go to school

[*]for more than four hours in any day without a break of one hour

[*]at any time' date=' if during the 12 months beginning 1 January, working means that you have not had two uninterrupted weeks of holiday from school.

[/list']

There are strict limits to the hours children and young people under school leaving age are allowed to work. You must not work:-

• during school hours on any school day - never did that.
  • for more than two hours on any school day or for more than 12 hours in any week in which you are required to go to school - worked half 7 till 10 when I was at school
  • for more than two hours on a Sunday - worked 2 and half, or 3 and a half hour shifts
  • for more than eight hours (five hours if you are under 15) on any day which is not a school day or a Sunday - the 10pm to 5am shift was 7 hours.
  • before 7am or after 7pm - Worked until 10, or 5am in town
  • for more than 35 hours (25 if you are under the age of 15) in any week in which you are not required to go to school - I never did that, out of my own laziness. The shifts were there.
  • for more than four hours in any day without a break of one hour - aye we took breaks all the time like. even on short shifts.
  • at any time, if during the 12 months beginning 1 January, working means that you have not had two uninterrupted weeks of holiday from school. I had a 2 week holiday in Turkey. And thanks to my job, I had loads of spending money too.