aberdeen-music

Ps3 ylod

Tooms

So my launch 60 GB PS3 finally has given up. tbf i've had it for a good few years, 4 maybe?

I've rang playstation and they said they do an exchange (like for like) for about 135. :-(

Does anyone know if this can be fixed for much less than that?

Or i suppose is anyone looking to sell their PS3?

Oh my flatmate found a company that would fix it for about 90 and you get a 6 month warranty from them... they put on additional fans to stop the YLOD, and he hasn't had any problems with it since. He said it was ps-pros.co.uk, and they picked it up and dropped it off by courier.

Edit: he said he was able to keep all his game-saves too.

So my launch 60 GB PS3 finally has given up. tbf i've had it for a good few years, 4 maybe?

I've rang playstation and they said they do an exchange (like for like) for about 135. :-(

Does anyone know if this can be fixed for much less than that?

Or i suppose is anyone looking to sell their PS3?

Good effort making it that long with the original beast, im on my third launch gen console now and both times i've shelled out for the reconditioned unit. My advice, if your feeling brave go with the unofficial but cheaper fix, otherwise i think Sony run some kind of program where they give you a newer slim PS3 for cheap in some kind of part exchange for the croaked one. Not sure if theres a problem with the reconditioned units or if its just those early PS3's being prone to cocking up, but i'm on my third one, JimmyB's on his 5th and I know of a few others in pretty similar situations.

Oh my flatmate found a company that would fix it for about 90 and you get a 6 month warranty from them... they put on additional fans to stop the YLOD, and he hasn't had any problems with it since. He said it was ps-pros.co.uk, and they picked it up and dropped it off by courier.

Edit: he said he was able to keep all his game-saves too.

yeah the fans are all attached to a USB stick that you just plug in, it's not like they piss about with the shell of the console and modify it permanently. They are a bit noisy, but they do the job.