aberdeen-music

Bruce Millers

Frosty Jack

All the information I have is that my mate Stuey bought a "diggerydoo" (sic)

The diggeridoo did sell for a remarkably low price and there was an amazing variety of percussion instruments. If Alan Cynic had bought just one variety box full, he would have been able to create an entirely new show featuring cowbells, a 25 bar chime, castinets, maraccas, rainsticks, claves, mini-glockenspiels etc and that was all in one box that went for a fiver.

The top-end hi-fi products from Bose went for about a third less than their original price.

Thousands of guitar strings from Fender etc were sold for the equivalent of a few pennies each.

A 1962 Fender Stratocaster that looked original and unmodified went for 3400.

A 1959 Gibson went for 900.

Modern guitars sold briskly. The huge quantity available, together with the vast choice and the forced sale meant that most of the prices were far lower than usual.

Some prices paid did surprise me as people were apparently prepared to pay high prices for radio microphones (old vhf ones at that) but hundreds of pickups of all shapes and sizes and thousands of guitar picks went for ridiculously low sums.

Some schools did well buying boxes full of sheet music, tutors etc.

Amplifiers were of varying quality but mostly sold cheaply.

I thought I bid 20 for 200 fuses but when I went to collect the goods at the end of the auction I was surprised to see the staff filling about five black bin liners with drums of speaker cable that are marked at 125 per drum! Apparently the lot I bid on did have the fuses I had previously noticed but also included the contents of the rest of that shelf - thanks Alkaline if you prepared that lot!

Yesterday I mentioned the historic His Master's Voice 1949 78rpm recording lathe and all the ancillary equipment that made up a portable recording studio in the forties. I gave the opening bid at 100 and it quickly went up to 350 and then I looked to the back of the room and saw that it was a hi-fi dealer I know from Dunfermline who was bidding against me. So I stopped bidding and IainThomson's Hi-Fi of Dunfermline now own this wonderful bit of kit. Some of the systems sold at the Dunfermline shop sell for 40,000 so I am sure it will soon be on display and a great talking point among recording enthusiasts.

One of the lighter moments came when Ross from R&B bought a very professional coffee machine that must have originally cost about four grand when it was new - so stand by for a Starbuck's like offering when you next visit R&B.

The sale went on until 5pm and judging by the smiling faces on some of the youngsters, I think the best that can be said about what is a very, very sad day, is that these new musicians will be off to a flying start thanks to this sale.

Graham

Good post. Thanks for the info.

I'm not surprised to see the Bose equipment getting good money back. Some of it is really nice and the brand has a great image. It's nowhere near as good sound quality as people think though.

Only a third off RRP will possibly be above shop purchase price and you can get that kind of discount online.

Good on the guys that got a bargain. Hopefully they put it to good use.

A 1962 Fender Stratocaster that looked original and unmodified went for 3400.

That guitar was not original or unmodified...if it was it would have fetched a lot more than 3400

Good post. Thanks for the info.

I'm not surprised to see the Bose equipment getting good money back. Some of it is really nice and the brand has a great image. It's nowhere near as good sound quality as people think though.

Only a third off RRP will possibly be above shop purchase price and you can get that kind of discount online.

Good on the guys that got a bargain. Hopefully they put it to good use.

Sorry two mistakes in my report. That bit about Bose equipent should have read for about a third of the shop price. For example a V48 system that sells online for over 3000 went for about 900.

My second mistake is about the Fender Stratocaster. I should have said, "It was described by the auctioneer as original and unmodified".

My apologies for misleading.

That guitar was not original or unmodified...if it was it would have fetched a lot more than 3400

When the shop was officially anounced as closing down I (and a few other people I think) was asked if I would like to buy the strat for 5k , I went along with my trusty screwdriver and proceeded to take it apart.

I declined the offer to buy , here's why........

inside the case was a scrap of paper stating that the body was refinished (obvious) the neck was re-finished and a replica decal had been applied (not so obvious) the tuners were replacements (obvious , no writing on rear , should have been single line klusons)

It was a genuine early 62 neck with slab fretboard , definitely refinished , replica decal was not quite straight and not enough patent nos

Body was completely refinisished do no way of dating it or confirming original , no nail holes , no extra routing but who know what was under the paint.

The scratch plate was a modern replacement with sticky foil sheilding on the rear instead of the separate foil sheild that should have been there , also the screw holes were in the wrong place for a 62 (this also means there are filled screw holes in the body)

Some of the wiring looked original but not all of it was , the pickups looked original but the neck pick up was not working , could have been a dry solder joint or could have been broken.

The bridge was a replacement vintage looking thing

The pick up covers and control knobs were replacements

The winning bid was 3400 but you have to add 15% auctioneers fee and 20% VAT to this giving a total of 4692 , far too much for all the changes / unoriginal stuff on this guitar

Here are some photo's : Flickr: BMinstruments' Photostream

That price is just crazy for such a mis-mash of strat parts.

there were 2 guys almost sat next to each other at the front bidding against each other for it , feel sorry for the guy who won , I don't think he will be a happy bunny when he gets it home and takes it apart .........:down:

I had a quick play of the Gibson J50, it had a nice straight neck etc... but didnt sound as nice as my Martin D35, I suspect a new set of strings would have helped.

Auction was good fun, and I picked up some bargains, but you have be aware of the VAT & hammer charge of 15%...

Some of the drum gear was good value ... but all in all it was a kind of sad day ...

:(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Gladstone
It's your fault BM closed. It's not a fucking library.

Fuck you man, both my bass guitars came from there. £800 worth, plus the hunners of plectrums and strings I've bought.

I blame you, to be honest.