aberdeen-music

Bruce Millers

Frosty Jack

This is very sad news.

Bruce Millers has been trading for 111 years. My "wee shop in Rosemount" is a mere youngster that my family started in 1935 - 76 years ago.

My late parents knew the generation of Millers who were the parents of the present directors.

It must be a very stressful time for Miller family and for each of the excellent staff members like Phil. This is a very sad day.

So, what I want to know, is now that R&B will be the only instrument shop in the City Centre, will they:

a) Jack up the prices because they have a captive market

or

b) Lower the prices to compete better with online stores, being aware there arent any other stores to compete with.

wHaT wIlL hApPeN?

Our prices will not increase, as that would be entirely pointless.

The prices will be responsibly managed. With the overheads and buying power considerations that differ between little independent shops and internet bulk 'power' buyers, there will never be scope to compete with the online stores to the level that the consumer seems to desire (or even require, it would seem).

By competing with some other - online - stores, places like Sound Control and even Dolphin Music have went out of business as they are making such little margin that it ceases to be worthwhile undertaking the sale a lot of the time.

As a lot know, but many others don't seem to take onboard, with continual blind purchase solely through internet means, the opportunity to 'try before you buy' will disappear as shops which require that margin of profit just to survive will keep closing their doors.

I know that I am very hesitant to ever even consider the online purchase of a guitar as they are all drastically different and so I could end up with something poor as I didn't have a chance to assess it in advance and compare it side by side with alternatives. I fear for the - inevitable with the way things are going - day when blind purchase is the only option.

I also like the idea of having somewhere that I can purchase the goods as and when I need them. For example, if I break a string when playing guitar in the morning of a gig, I would like to think that I could go into a shop and buy the replacement string(s) I require without having to order them online (at an inflated price to receive them in a prompt manner) and wait until after the gig or whatnot.

We checked a price of a particular set of strings in the shop compared with an online retailer, they quoted cheaper initially, though when adding the postage costs and next day delivery surcharge etc. etc. it worked out as being more than twice the cost. Other examples also exceeded local prices. Again, I'm not looking forward to when the term 'local' stops applying in Aberdeen with regards to musical gear.

Though I work for the 'opposition' and very rarely set foot in BM over the last while, let alone made purchases with them, it is an extremely sad time that it has come to this.

Thanks for that, Jimmer. I definitely agree about the "try before you buy" element and also smaller items being immediately available. Shame BM is going though. The only shop in Aberdeen where you could get a telly and a Tele at the same time.

Went in after work yesterday, and I was saddened by the whole experience. There are huge empty gaps in almost all of the sections, and deals/bargains were being made by staff who seemed void of effort, and I cant say I blame them.

This whole time I was thinking "oh, it's a shame Bruce Millers is going" but having actually been in, it hit me that shortly it wont actually be there anymore.

Still though...25% off CDs and DVDs upstairs!

Website down now. I'm going to miss Bruce Millers a hell of a lot.

Before becoming self employed I worked for a company that collapsed so I know who shitty the staff must be feeling. I truly wish you all the best.

It was the only shop in Aberdeen that I ever actually looked forward to visiting.

Aberdeen is steadily going down the toilet.

Now I will have to go to Debenhams with my wife for the rest of our marriage.:moody:

Does anybody know when the shop is closing?

Really gutted to see it go. I got kitted out with all my saxophone needs for the duration I played in school and latterly in my band. My mum and I used to regularly go for lunch in the cafe at weekends but with me working 2 jobs every weekend, I haven't been for ages.

Wishing all the best to all staff involved.

That was quick! I hope the employees got enough compensation to make the job hunt bearable. I've disagreed with the guy loads in the past but one thing I'd never question is whether alkaline knows his shit in his chosen audio-visual domain. it's a shame to hear someone who's clearly passionate about what he does can't do it anymore. I hope this outcome proves positive in the long run and you get to take a step up in your career and you can continue to help people tell the difference between their coaxial cables and their arseholes.

That was quick! I hope the employees got enough compensation to make the job hunt bearable. I've disagreed with the guy loads in the past but one thing I'd never question is whether alkaline knows his shit in his chosen audio-visual domain. it's a shame to hear someone who's clearly passionate about what he does can't do it anymore. I hope this outcome proves positive in the long run and you get to take a step up in your career and you can continue to help people tell the difference between their coaxial cables and their arseholes.

This. Must spread.

Best of luck to the staff, had no idea the place would close it's doors so soon!

xx

Aye, was in speaking to Phil the other day and he said that the administrator was deciding whether it was worth keeping the place open or not, with all the ongoing energy costs etc.

Best of luck Phil, as I said the other day, we need to view this as an opportunity. :)

Things I'm going to miss about Bruce Millers;

They did a damn fine breakfast in the cafe.

They sold lottery tickets.

They sold mandolins.

The clock cheered me up when waiting for a bus.

All the music was layed out. Unlike most music shops where finding a music book is like digging through your old LP collection.