aberdeen-music

Osama Bin Laden DEID

After a bit of thought, I've decided that while it is never nice to be celebratory about a killing, the fact that OBM had time to reflect/gnaw/shite it while awaiting his certain fate, is about as close to justice as you can get in an atheist universe (which I think it is, obv). He knew they were coming to get him as a result of his murderous actions, and there would be no bargaining or escape, some truly deserved psychic/karmic agony for a bad person.

People who think putting Bin Laden on trial and jailing him would have been better don't understand how terrorists work.

Year after year we'd have simply have had more cases of people captured to ransom for the release of Osama. Captives would then have been beheaded when he wasn't.

The story would have been repeated multiple times, over and over and over. The trial would have dragged on for years. Multiple captives tortured for years. Terrorist attacks with the threat of "If you don't release Bin Laden expect more of the same..."

No, capturing him would have galvanised his supporters even more than his death.

It was a lot cheaper and no less dangerous to put a bullet in his head.

Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand what the 'No!'s are about.

I feel myself starting to agree with Robert, but at the same time I'm like "Aye but we can't just going about killing". It's almost a catch 22. I can't rejoice in his death. But I'm finding myself agreeing that killing him there and then might have been a better option. The worst part is that they won't just give us the details straight.

Plus, I see pictures of him and to be honest, I actually feel bad. He looks young and in certain photos actually just looks naive. Of course this is wrong but you know when you look at a picture of someone and see these things? Like in the eyes and stuff.

The No!'s were about the fact that Bush would not have taken the US to war with North Korea, and that if you know anything about the history of Iraq between 1990 and the invasion, you'd know the threat he posed.

I don't know enough about the detail of what would need to happen to try Osama other than in, say, Saudi, for example. But i don't really see it as relevant - he's technically been on trial since the early 90s when AQ began operations and declared war on the US. The bureaucracy of international criminal courts would only frustrate the already signed / sealed / delivered verdict, and i doubt by taking him in you would gain much intel that can't be found from other sources picked up in the operation. I have no 'moral or ethical' problems with him being bumped off and thrown in the sea, though.

The No!'s were about the fact that Bush would not have taken the US to war with North Korea, and that if you know anything about the history of Iraq between 1990 and the invasion, you'd know the threat he posed.

I still believe that WMD's were made up to go in for oil. You know, the Bushs being the bushs.

No. Again, if you know the history of Iraq since the Gulf war, as well as the SC resolutions through the 90's you wouldn't just believe WMD's were made up to go in for oil.

Just a few points:

- countless (all) UN resolutions broken since 1990 (including 1441; "a final opportunity to comply...)

- continuing failure of economic sanctions

- 100,000's of dead

- removal of UN inspectors / the building of a nuclear program that would have been weaponised given more time

- profits from the oil-for-food program diverted to the regime / mass starvation

- funding insurgencies in North Africa / West Bank and Gaza / etc

- the list goes on

Not to move away from Osama even more, but today Iraq is the only functioning Arab democracy. OK, it's imperfect, fragile, and prone to the odd bomb or two, but it has multiparty elections and the freest press in the region. If Egypt or Libya were to be as politically developed in 2 or 3 years as is Iraq today - talk about success. The US is moving out of Iraq - it's taken no oil; established no permanent military bases; and has left not a puppet regime, but a functioning democracy. But hey, whatever.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, you've made some really good points but I've still got to say that we went in and risked lives over something that wasn't even there. If there wasn't so much leaning on WMDs. If Bush was going on and on about the points you made there, instead of just shouting WMDs all the time, then yes. But I think the benefits of the war are just perks in an oil crusade. Plus... Fucking Hanging him? That's what I hate the most about invading Iraq... Fucking hanging? What a horrible thing to do.

No. Again, if you know the history of Iraq since the Gulf war, as well as the SC resolutions through the 90's you wouldn't just believe WMD's were made up to go in for oil.

Just a few points:

- countless (all) UN resolutions broken since 1990 (including 1441; "a final opportunity to comply...)

- continuing failure of economic sanctions

- 100,000's of dead

- removal of UN inspectors / the building of a nuclear program that would have been weaponised given more time

- profits from the oil-for-food program diverted to the regime / mass starvation

- funding insurgencies in North Africa / West Bank and Gaza / etc

- the list goes on

Not to move away from Osama even more, but today Iraq is the only functioning Arab democracy. OK, it's imperfect, fragile, and prone to the odd bomb or two, but it has multiparty elections and the freest press in the region. If Egypt or Libya were to be as politically developed in 2 or 3 years as is Iraq today - talk about success. The US is moving out of Iraq - it's taken no oil; established no permanent military bases; and has left not a puppet regime, but a functioning democracy. But hey, whatever.

I'm also not sure it's a good idea to move away from Osama and onto the morality of the Iraq War :D but I really doubt many in Arab non-democracies (or non-democracies generally) would envy Iraq, "democracy" or not. I'll admit to not being too knowledgeable about Iraqi politics but I'm sceptical that its democracy could be considered "functioning". A cursory look at the corruption perceptions index shows it much worse than even Cambodia (just to use an example I'm more familiar with), which I would consider to be a "nominal" or indeed "joke" democracy.

Regardless of the functions, you could argue that Iraq's purple-fingered exercises in elections seen on television everywhere had a part to play in setting an example for the entire region, and what we've seen over the past few months. And sure, Iraq will never be Switzerland; they're building from the ground up with critical internal and external problems. It certainly won't happen over night, and it might get worse again before it gets better. But not to get too positive (which is rare for me), with the right support and work there is a framework that can be built on long term. Then again, everything could go tits up and the image of a balancing Iraq in the region disappear in swathes of Sunni/Shia Iraq/Iran bitterness. I definitely think Iraq over the next 10 years will be pretty key, anyway. OK - enough about Iraq.

So the worst thing about the Iraq War was the method used by the Iraqis to execute a horrible, barbaric dictator who murdered his own people in droves? o_O

Riiiiiiiight.

Yes. It's fucking horrible. In this day and age, when putting someone to death we hang them? A firing squad would still be better than that. Hanging is disgusting and not even the worst people to have ever lived should have it done to them.

Yes. It's fucking horrible. In this day and age, when putting someone to death we hang them? A firing squad would still be better than that. Hanging is disgusting and not even the worst people to have ever lived should have it done to them.

Sorry, but your sense of perspective is completely nuts.

I, like most others, would prefer to focus on the deaths of hundreds of innocents as a reminder of the true horrors of war....not the death of some barbaric cunt who had it coming.

I'd understand if you were just saying capital punishment is wrong as a whole, but o_O? Getting your neck broken instantly isn't any less human than being riddled with bullets, having your organs shut down by chemicals or electrocuted in a chair.

Hanging is the method of capital punishment in Iraq. It wasn't "the west's" method to choose.

That's not where my focus is at all. But, when the west is meant to be the civilized people going in to Iraq to save the day, it's pretty disgraceful that we would hang someone for punishment. It's horrible. No lethal injection? Hung? 2000s not 1800s.

"The West" didn't even hang him!! The US captured him and handed him over to the Iraqi Goverment for trial.

How the hell did this pass anyone by?

Plus, I see pictures of him and to be honest, I actually feel bad. He looks young and in certain photos actually just looks naive. Of course this is wrong but you know when you look at a picture of someone and see these things? Like in the eyes and stuff.

Osama Bin Laden naive? What sort of drugs are you currently taking?

Guest Gladstone

As much as I thought the Saddam execution was a bit ridiculous - it's a bit of a vague memory, but the whole hanging thing on youtube etc just seemed a bit odd - it was NOT the West that executed him. He was tried, convicted, tested and executed by the Iraqi authorities.

I don't know what the capital punishment regime in Saudi Arabia is, but I'm guessing they are every bit as "barbaric" as Iraq (just a guess) - if Bin Laden had been captured, Saudi Arabia may well have been where he was tried and convicted. If the correct process had been followed, would you get your knickers in a twist if the Saudis hanged Bin Laden?