aberdeen-music

Tell me what you need...

Guest Gladstone

As I've outlined in the "what would you invent" thead, a turbo fridge. I hate coming home from the supermarket, and having to wait a good few hours for my juice/booze to be chilled to how I like it. Putting it in the freezer for half an hour usually works, but I don't have that as an option, as I don't have a freezer in my current flat. So, if someone could invent a Turbo Fridge, since I can't, that would be swell. In my head, it looks like a microwave, but works the opposite way. Is there an opposite to microwave energy? I don't know.

They used to have these in Oddbins or Viccy Wine.

When you bought a bottle of white or Champage, you would put the bottle in this device, and selected what style of wine you bought. It would then chill it to the required level. And if you selected red wine it would warm it to the sufficient level too.

Just to wade in to say how good an idea a proper food takeaway is. Where I live there seems to be no distinction between a restaurant and a takeaway. Basically thats because everywhere that sells food delivers. If you dont fancy a Chinese/pizza/Indian you can get a salad or a wrap or... well anything you want realky. Also, there's a genius little site/app called seamless web that you can order from just about any restaurant like you order dominos online in the UK. It's Fucking awesome. I got a steak delivered at 3 in the morning once, ordered from my phone.

Just to wade in to say how good an idea a proper food takeaway is. Where I live there seems to be no distinction between a restaurant and a takeaway. Basically thats because everywhere that sells food delivers. If you dont fancy a Chinese/pizza/Indian you can get a salad or a wrap or... well anything you want realky. Also, there's a genius little site/app called seamless web that you can order from just about any restaurant like you order dominos online in the UK. It's Fucking awesome. I got a steak delivered at 3 in the morning once, ordered from my phone.

Sounds like you live in a futuristic paradise.

Sounds like you live in a futuristic paradise.

In food terms it kinda is. They've got it right here. Everyone talks about how Americans gorge on shitty fast food but it's just not true. (NY maybe can't really be an indicator of the rest of the US I suppose) The difference is though that here there is a market for any old shit. Like there aren't just a slew of vegan places, there are really specific vegan places that serve just cupcakes or just pizza or whatever. And they're open 24hrs. In Aberdeen the market is a fraction of the size so any venture would have to be really well researched.

Gladstone. I had a meeting once with a business advisor a couple years back about getting a veggie food truck for the edinburgh festival. It never materialised but he had some awesome advice: Do foot counts - i.e. stand with a clipboard and pen in the location you are thinking of and just watch people. How many people walk past? how many look like the type of customer you want? If you are looking to serve take-out food, how many are carrying coffee and/or sandwiches? It's this kind of empirical data that helps you see if things are viable even if it seems pretty trivial.

Gladstone. I had a meeting once with a business advisor a couple years back about getting a veggie food truck for the edinburgh festival. It never materialised but he had some awesome advice: Do foot counts - i.e. stand with a clipboard and pen in the location you are thinking of and just watch people. How many people walk past? how many look like the type of customer you want? If you are looking to serve take-out food, how many are carrying coffee and/or sandwiches? It's this kind of empirical data that helps you see if things are viable even if it seems pretty trivial.

If it's a 'foot' count, would you have to count every person twice?

xx

In food terms it kinda is. They've got it right here. Everyone talks about how Americans gorge on shitty fast food but it's just not true. (NY maybe can't really be an indicator of the rest of the US I suppose) The difference is though that here there is a market for any old shit. Like there aren't just a slew of vegan places, there are really specific vegan places that serve just cupcakes or just pizza or whatever. And they're open 24hrs. In Aberdeen the market is a fraction of the size so any venture would have to be really well researched.

If I ever get to the US soon the food is maybe what I'd look forward to most.

I had a vegetarian friend who moved here for a while from NY and she went on all the time about how much better the food on offer there is.

I wouldn't go for the vegan restaurants though, I'd spend the first week just searching for the ideal burger.

ca_gere have you been to this place Burger Joint (Le Parker Meridien) - New York City, USA: pictures, address, map & videos

As I've outlined in the "what would you invent" thead, a turbo fridge. I hate coming home from the supermarket, and having to wait a good few hours for my juice/booze to be chilled to how I like it. Putting it in the freezer for half an hour usually works, but I don't have that as an option, as I don't have a freezer in my current flat. So, if someone could invent a Turbo Fridge, since I can't, that would be swell. In my head, it looks like a microwave, but works the opposite way. Is there an opposite to microwave energy? I don't know.

I think it would be cheaper to just buy a freezer rather than a Turbo Fridge. I'd imagine that the R&D investment faced by a company when creating such a fridge would be quite sizeable.. and so the initial purchase price, when first released, would likely be high in order to cover these costs.

That said, for some reason I really do love the idea...

Freezers take too long. I've decided I also want it to make instant ice cubes, because I only have one ice cube tray (and no freezer to even use it in at the moment) so I could make a load, pop them in, and then make more, for guests at a hypothetical cocktail party, which I host ALL the time.

Turbo fringe, an instant freezer. It's going to happen one day, the human race will become so efficient that waiting for things to cool down in a fridge or freezer will just be so primitive you'll wonder how to god damn fuck you got by before you had a Turbo Fridge. I love the idea. Do it!

You've done it again John...

"Turbo fringe" ?...... (my imagination is running riot) yet you spell it right later in the sentence !

Your always good for giving me a laugh ! :up::laughing: