aberdeen-music

"Music Cafe" on Union Street?

Guest Gladstone

I think something like what you're talking about would do well in Rosemount. Other than the Queen Vic there isn't really anything up that way for evening social. There are also plenty of the kind of clientle you'd be after. It could have some nice beers and wines, in contrast to the QV, maybe have some snacky gourmet nibble type thing, all at an affordable price. Student deals. Live music, DJ ... cosy dcor. NO TVs

you might want to consider doing something in Torry. The retail rocks competition means that there will be a few brand new shops in the area later this year, and Torry imho is crying out for something to do at the weekends/evenings other than 'go to the big Spar'.

The problem with putting on live artists of te singer/songwriter sort is that so many are really bad. And most artists are not really interested in being background music so to speak - they want to perform (quite rightly), and so you will be alienating plenty of customers who have no interest in hearing another forgettable guy with a guitar. JJ is great, but imo he is in the minority.

But yeah, as mentioned, Kilau already has the mellow indie music side covered, so a licensed cafe-bar with good DJs would surely be the path to take.

so a licensed cafe-bar with good DJs would surely be the path to take.

This.

It's bog standard fare everywhere else in the country but i can't think of one place except 99 where it's done in Aberdeen.

If there's an acoustic singer songwriter in my vicinity that I haven't specifically paid to go see I will leave. No exceptions. Noone likes live background music do they?

I think something like what you're talking about would do well in Rosemount. Other than the Queen Vic there isn't really anything up that way for evening social. There are also plenty of the kind of clientle you'd be after. It could have some nice beers and wines, in contrast to the QV, maybe have some snacky gourmet nibble type thing, all at an affordable price. Student deals. Live music, DJ ... cosy dcor. NO TVs

Posh Paws has been vacant for some time.....

I would only go and sit down inside somewhere other than a home or work if it was licenced. I don't think I've ever been out for a coffee in my life.

Make stuff that other people don't and serve it until a later time and you're onto a winner! If you served fresh/toasted sandwich's and paninis until late evening then you would beat most other places that serve that food. Vegan food would be ace as well.

Duncan Bannatyne: "So what have you got that others haven't; why should I invest in you?

John W: Cheese and onion toasties...IN THE EVENING!

• Upvote 1

What happened to the jazz band that played in Kef on a Thursday night? Either the band or the night were called Precipeace, but they were pretty great.

If you got those guys and a couple of reggae DJs, then it could become my favourite place in Aberdeen. That is, if it were to actually happen.

Come along to our night in musa this Sunday. It's similar vibe but funk junk instead of jazz

You're right, that was the only USP i was suggesting he have. Not just one thing that i thought would be a good service to provide.

But in all seriousness, when i get into town for band practice after 6, i'm stuck with the shitty fast food like BK and KFC if i had to come straight for work and need to catch food in town. I'd kill for a decent toastie at that time of day.

Subway do toasties I think.

In Melbourne, there's a whole load of these SpudBar places - Spudbar - Healthy people, healthy world.

I reckon something along those lines could really take off in Aberdeen, and also sounds like what you're after Gladstone. Cheap, quality, wholesome grub. Plenty of veggie options and does wraps and stuff as well. The thing that sets it apart from other quick foody places is that you're encouraged to stay past the meal. Cheap bottled beers (no draughts) and always decent music and a nice vibe, weekends there's a live DJ in the corner. Loud enough that you can listen and enjoy, but quiet enough to continue a conversation over a meal and beer. :love:

It's full of people getting takeaway or a quick bite during the day, but come evening it's a good place to have a decent cheap meal and chill out with friends, or line the stomach and have a few beers before heading somewhere else for a big night.

I'm really not sure if the licensing laws back home would fuck you over too much if you were serving alcohol - I suspect they would, hence the reason Kilau etc don't go for something like this.

Guest Gladstone
In Melbourne, there's a whole load of these SpudBar places - Spudbar - Healthy people, healthy world.

I reckon something along those lines could really take off in Aberdeen, and also sounds like what you're after Gladstone. Cheap, quality, wholesome grub. Plenty of veggie options and does wraps and stuff as well. The thing that sets it apart from other quick foody places is that you're encouraged to stay past the meal. Cheap bottled beers (no draughts) and always decent music and a nice vibe, weekends there's a live DJ in the corner. Loud enough that you can listen and enjoy, but quiet enough to continue a conversation over a meal and beer.

I'm really not sure if the licensing laws back home would fuck you over too much if you were serving alcohol - I suspect they would, hence the reason Kilau etc don't go for something like this.

Surely the picture to the right in the bottom half of this page is a condom...?

Spudbar history - A spud is born