aberdeen-music

"Music Cafe" on Union Street?

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Hypothetical question...

If there was a wee cafe on Union Street, that was licensed to sell booze, and billed itself as a "music cafe" - i.e. a kind of chilled out ambient place with acoustic/shoegaze type music in the background, and with the potential for some live acoustic music - would you go there?

Obviously, that's difficult because you have no idea what it looks like and what sort of food and beverages are on offer, but think your sort of normal coffee selection with snack type food - sandwiches, paninis, cakes, etc and a selection of slightly more "upmarket" booze - i.e. bottled ales, some wines, maybe some malt whiskey, that sort of thing.

Chilled out atmosphere, probably with free wi-fi, and that sort of stuff.

Do you reckon there would be a genuine market for that in Aberdeen city centre?

Guest Gladstone
I'd go, as long as it wasn't live acoustic cover songs, or I might as well stand outside the John Lewis centre with a sausage roll and listen to the buskers.

A good singsong and a slice of cake sounds like a good evening out though.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of (for example) JJ Bull type artist. It wouldn't be acoustic gigs as such, just someone with an acoustic guitar in the corner playing some songs. Maybe not even a PA system because the place would be so small.

Guest Gladstone
Wasn't there a Music Cafe round the back of Bruce Millers? Not sure if it's still there.

Yeah there was - I never went. "The Music Club" - it shut down very quickly. I think location screwed it over.

I think the market is pretty saturated, you've pretty much described a cross between Kilau and Musa.

That said, it sounds like a cool idea, but would have to be competitively priced and have something that stands it aside from other places that do similar things. :)

Would the fact it's on Union Street (very close to the Music Hall) make it stand out a bit?

Guest Gladstone
If you were talking non hypothetically and it was something you really wanted to work I am sure it could be pulled off. It could be a pretty expensive project to get going though. Sounds like my kind of place.

It's hypothetical just now, but potentially non-hypothetical...

Thought I'd float the idea on here to see what folk on here though of it.

Guest Gladstone
9am-4:30pm most days. "Gigs" are sometimes on in the evenings on Thursday when we're open 'til 8pm.

That's kinda what I thought. My thinking would be that this could be a sandwich shop mainly during the day, but the "music cafe" idea would be in the evenings, so it wouldn't even be in competition with BMs.

That's kinda what I thought. My thinking would be that this could be a sandwich shop mainly during the day, but the "music cafe" idea would be in the evenings, so it wouldn't even be in competition with BMs.

Having seen/heard what happened with the one out the back of BMs, it certainly wasn't a viable business model at that point in time.

The sandwich shop would be in competition with the glut of eateries all along Union Street so it would have to offer something completely different from the current options *cough* vegan food *cough* and you would have to make that tricky decision on whether you were going to get an alcohol license and pay for door staff at "gigs" in the evening.

It's a murky business to get involved in and a pretty thankless one at that.

Guest Gladstone
Having seen/heard what happened with the one out the back of BMs, it certainly wasn't a viable business model at that point in time.

The sandwich shop would be in competition with the glut of eateries all along Union Street so it would have to offer something completely different from the current options *cough* vegan food *cough* and you would have to make that tricky decision on whether you were going to get an alcohol license and pay for door staff at "gigs" in the evening.

It's a murky business to get involved in and a pretty thankless one at that.

How do BMs work their "gigs"? Is it plug in acoustic stuff with PA system and stuff, or is it all pretty informal?

Guest Gladstone
There's usually a PA (we very often run acts through the Bose L1 PA systems that we sell). Pop along next Thurs (28th April) after work, we've got Wilson & Mckee on.

Thursdays are a no-go for me at the present time. Kids fitba training out in New Deer until 7.30pm!

Are you actively involved in the cafe / gigs? I thought you sold TVs and cables.

Thursdays are a no-go for me at the present time. Kids fitba training out in New Deer until 7.30pm!

Are you actively involved in the cafe / gigs? I thought you sold TVs and cables.

I'm a man of many talents. I wouldn't say i was actively involved in the running of it but i know how it's done.

In theory I would always like the idea of an independent cafe in my area. However, I would think that Kilau has nailed the market in cosy, 'alternative' coffee shops in Aberdeen. Otherwise I can't imagine the daytime, nine-to-five crowd being particularly interested in shoegaze music over lunch, particularly given their inherent preference for branded coffee outlets. To capture them you'd need to offer something truly different and innovative in terms of food and drink.

Musically,how many acoustic performers in Aberdeen draw crowds? Few, in my experience.

Without saying it's not possible, I think it would be very expensive to get right given the amount of competition around. Has anyone else noticed 'Sunshine Cafe' on George Street or 'Ruby Cafe' on King Street?

As other folks have mentioned, there are a few interesting cafes in and around the centre of town. At the moment, Kilau, Musa and Books & Beans spring to mind. I love visiting all three, for various different reasons (crepes/art/music; music/more of a sit-down meal; tasty soup/second-hand books).

That said, I would whole-heartedly support a new venture on Union Street. good music + good food is a winner in my books. To stand out, and survive against the already-existent cafes, you'll need an angle that makes you different from all the others.

So... what's your angle?

P.S. best of luck :)

Guest Gladstone
In theory I would always like the idea of an independent cafe in my area. However, I would think that Kilau has nailed the market in cosy, 'alternative' coffee shops in Aberdeen. Otherwise I can't imagine the daytime, nine-to-five crowd being particularly interested in shoegaze music over lunch, particularly given their inherent preference for branded coffee outlets. To capture them you'd need to offer something truly different and innovative in terms of food and drink.

Musically,how many acoustic performers in Aberdeen draw crowds? Few, in my experience.

Without saying it's not possible, I think it would be very expensive to get right given the amount of competition around. Has anyone else noticed 'Sunshine Cafe' on George Street or 'Ruby Cafe' on King Street?

I know I put "music" in the title, but I don't mean quite so much influence to be put on the music side of things. I wouldn't be expecting an acoustic artist to pull a crowd or anything like that. It would just be a nice thing to do now and again to have someone actually playing some songs fairly quietly in the corner whilst folk sat with their bottled ale or coffee or whatever.

The 9 to 5 crowd would really just be for take-away I reckon. It would probably only open for coffees first thing, couple of hours at lunch and then from about 6pm-11pm or something in the evening.

Just ideas...

Cheers!

As other folks have mentioned, there are a few interesting cafes in and around the centre of town. At the moment, Kilau, Musa and Books & Beans spring to mind. I love visiting all three, for various different reasons (crepes/art/music; music/more of a sit-down meal; tasty soup/second-hand books).

That said, I would whole-heartedly support a new venture on Union Street. good music + good food is a winner in my books. To stand out, and survive against the already-existent cafes, you'll need an angle that makes you different from all the others.

So... what's your angle?

P.S. best of luck :)

I like Kilau but it's too wooden. The seats are uncomfortable and all the wood makes it echoey and really noisy. Could do with some soft furnishings to warm the place up a bit and dampen some of the noise.

I know I put "music" in the title, but I don't mean quite so much influence to be put on the music side of things. I wouldn't be expecting an acoustic artist to pull a crowd or anything like that. It would just be a nice thing to do now and again to have someone actually playing some songs fairly quietly in the corner whilst folk sat with their bottled ale or coffee or whatever.

The 9 to 5 crowd would really just be for take-away I reckon. It would probably only open for coffees first thing, couple of hours at lunch and then from about 6pm-11pm or something in the evening.

Just ideas...

Cheers!

I don't think you could stagger opening hours effectively like that with staff. You'd have to have people working over "closed" times and wouldn't be maximising your opertunity for income against expenditure.

Also, rates for shops on Union Street are ridiculous, even the small ones.

Guest Gladstone
I don't think you could stagger opening hours effectively like that with staff. You'd have to have people working over "closed" times and wouldn't be maximising your opertunity for income against expenditure.

Also, rates for shops on Union Street are ridiculous, even the small ones.

I've seen the rates, so know what that would be. Not sure whether it would be viable yet!

The staff would probably be me and my wife!