aberdeen-music

Scottish New Music Industry Awards

beetlejuice

The nominations for these were released last week, and Aberdeen has nominees in no less than 14 categories! A great sign that we must be doing something right! The local nominations are below. Voting starts on the 2nd of May at scottish music awards, set up to recognise the music scene in Scotland :)

Booking Agent - Ross Calder (AGP)

Booking Agent - Brian Youngson (Fudge)

Event Photographer - David Lovie (Hercules Moments)

Instrument Retailer - R&B Music

Live Club - The Lemon Tree

Live Sound Engineer - Stephen Podlesny (Snafu)

Major Concert Venue - Music Hall

Music Retailer - One Up Records

Producer - Iain Macpherson

Radio Show - Mixtape with Eoin and Emma (Aberdeen Student Radio)

Radio Station - Aberdeen Student Radio

Record Label - Bedford Records

Rehearsal Studio - Captain Tom's

Sound Engineer - Iain Macpherson

Website - Hercules Moments

Guest idol_wild
The nominations for these were released last week, and Aberdeen has nominees in no less than 14 categories! A great sign that we must be doing something right! The local nominations are below. Voting starts on the 2nd of May at scottish music awards, set up to recognise the music scene in Scotland :)

Booking Agent - Ross Calder (AGP)

Booking Agent - Brian Youngson (Fudge)

Event Photographer - David Lovie (Hercules Moments)

Instrument Retailer - R&B Music

Live Club - The Lemon Tree

Live Sound Engineer - Stephen Podlesny (Snafu)

Major Concert Venue - Music Hall

Music Retailer - One Up Records

Producer - Iain Macpherson

Radio Show - Mixtape with Eoin and Emma (Aberdeen Student Radio)

Radio Station - Aberdeen Student Radio

Record Label - Bedford Records

Rehearsal Studio - Captain Tom's

Sound Engineer - Iain Macpherson

Website - Hercules Moments

Do they know the difference between 'promoter' and 'booking agent'?

One or two of those candidates will be getting my vote. Unless, of course, the other candidates in the category trump them.

I saw their website a few days ago and honestly thought it was a parody/joke thing.

To be honest, I reckon anything that celebrates Scottish music - especially something which seems to focus more on the smaller scale things - can't be a bad idea. Should we not be celebrating the fact that people are interested in Aberdeen music, rather than finding reasons to belittle it?

(And I'm not just saying that because I'm nominated.)

Who nominated the Aberdeen nominees?

I nominated a couple of folk for things. Some got through, some didn't.

They ignore Nous Aimons Danser, they mess with the bay.

Actually, that's not fair, my blog doesn't really give a fuck about where music's from. Don't really understand the need for awards, it's enough fun doing musical things as a hobby/full-time job (if you're really lucky). But hey, what do I know?

Guest idol_wild
To be honest, I reckon anything that celebrates Scottish music - especially something which seems to focus more on the smaller scale things - can't be a bad idea. Should we not be celebrating the fact that people are interested in Aberdeen music, rather than finding reasons to belittle it?

(And I'm not just saying that because I'm nominated.)

I nominated a couple of folk for things. Some got through, some didn't.

Whilst I thoroughly agree with your point, I do also consider these things sort of trite and it introduces a very dangerous notion to low level music - competition. Competitiveness in music makes me very sad. As does nepotism, which these sort of things also breed.

It also has the exclusion/inclusion factor in general. Looking at the vast majority of these nominees, I've never ever heard of them, and I consider myself relatively clued up about Scottish musicians at all levels, particularly the lowest level, as they are my peers and contemporaries.

it introduces a very dangerous notion to low level music - competition. Competitiveness in music makes me very sad. As does nepotism' date=' which these sort of things also breed.[/quote']

Yes, I agree at the very base level that competitiveness in music can be a very negative thing. For that very reason, I'm not a fan of battle of the bands-type competitions. However, take Indian Red Lopez for example: they are still very much part of the underground scene, but were awarded a prize at the Scottish Alternative Music Awards earlier this year. Perhaps these sorts of awards ceremonies are aimed at recognising those bands who have worked for years to improve their sound, but have never made it "big". I can think of a few more in Aberdeen that fit into that category.

As for nepotism, I think you're probably right. All I can say is that for the two nominations I've got - Hercules Moments and Mixtape - I don't know who nominated. However big or small the nomination/awards, however, I am very humbled to be considered.

Did they approach press type people in different areas or something?

No, I was made aware of the awards through a few posts on this very forum, and it was an open nomination process.They also posted somewhere about a forum they set up, can't find the post, but it's god-awful!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/61979-scottish-music-awards.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/64403-only-3-weeks-left-industry-award-nominations.html

Whilst I thoroughly agree with your point, I do also consider these things sort of trite and it introduces a very dangerous notion to low level music - competition. Competitiveness in music makes me very sad. As does nepotism, which these sort of things also breed.

It also has the exclusion/inclusion factor in general. Looking at the vast majority of these nominees, I've never ever heard of them, and I consider myself relatively clued up about Scottish musicians at all levels, particularly the lowest level, as they are my peers and contemporaries.

Exactly this.

• 2 weeks later...