aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

There's an article on the STV website here:

Aberdeen music festival cancelled due to 'poor' ticket sales | Aberdeen City News | STV Local

It seems that once again Aberdeen has been offered something truly great - something innovative and fun and a massive coup for the city - but the dour North East attitude got in the way. Again. It happens far too often up here: change seems to be met with a Granite-set determination to keep things they way they were.

I really feel for the organisers - you've done a spectacular job, and you should be commended for all the hard work (and money) you've put into this.

P.S. According to the STV site it was Faithless who were supposed to be the mystery guests.

No offense but that's bollocks. People in the north east are exactly the same as the rest of the world. Its got nothing to do with attitude. Maybe there just isn't a sizeable festival demographic? Also, if rockness relied on selling tickets to locals itd get cancelled every year. Did people outside of Aberdeen know about the festival?

Its a real shame that it came to this, in some ways having advertised the mystery headliner was a mistake as I think people might have bought on the original line up anyway but some were then waiting to see who the mystery person was, kudos to all involved and I hope they didnt personally lose anything.

It seems that once again Aberdeen has been offered something truly great - something innovative and fun and a massive coup for the city - but the dour North East attitude got in the way. Again. It happens far too often up here: change seems to be met with a Granite-set determination to keep things they way they were.

This sort of nonsense grinds my gears. Do you people ever get out of Aberdeen? Everywhere has their allocation of cynics. 'North East attitude' is a stupid myth.

I think many would've been in the same boat as RussellT, waiting to see the Saturday headliners before getting either a weekend or a day ticket.

I honestly feel the interest was there to make it viable. I was originally told about the whole thing happening whilst I was in Australia by two Glaswegians who were planning on heading up after their travels - just as an example of how wide the appeal of it was.

I guess translating that initial interest into ticket sales is Aberdeen's problem for a lot of things. The whole thing with the Saturday headliners clearly had a big effect on things as well, but I'd imagine these are the circumstances that conspired against them that Jim is speaking about.

No offense but that's bollocks. People in the north east are exactly the same as the rest of the world. Its got nothing to do with attitude. Maybe there just isn't a sizeable festival demographic? Also, if rockness relied on selling tickets to locals itd get cancelled every year. Did people outside of Aberdeen know about the festival?

Nobody I spoke to in West Lothian, Glasgow or even Fife knew anything about it.

Many people I tried to convince were all waiting on the big headline act getting named. The longer that slot remained empty the more doubt and hesitation crept it.

I'm not going to get into a big debate about this, so let's just agree to disagree on the attitude thing.

Wizard Festival sells out most years, though, so there must be some sort of festival demographic up here in the North East. Why they didn't latch onto Northern Lights - which had a much better line-up in my opinion - is anyone's guess.

It's a shame that it's come to cancellation. Quite a few folk were about to get paid this week/weekend and I assume they would have been holding out until this weekend to buy their tickets. This seems to be what's being said on FB anyway.

Really hope that the organisers aren't too disheartened by what has happened and maybe even try something next year, even if it means aiming a little smaller to gather a following. This really would've been something great for Aberdeen.

Deary me, seen a few folk complaining about the price on facebook.

You'd be looking at at least 20-30 for several of those acts at their own shows.

A missed opportunity by Aberdeen, really poor show.

Feel sorry for all involved and I know Jamesy had been knocking his pan in trying to sort out stuff that had cropped up.

The thing is, this would have been the first festival of its kind, which means that "big" acts arent gonna flock to it because they want to test the water first.

I know that several "bigger" bands were being pencilled in for NEXT year, dependent on the success of this one. Everyone starts somewhere. The first TITP was like 70 and the lineup was nothing like what they get nowadays, for the same reasons.

The thing is, this would have been the first festival of its kind, which means that "big" acts arent gonna flock to it because they want to test the water first.

I know that several "bigger" bands were being pencilled in for NEXT year, dependent on the success of this one. Everyone starts somewhere. The first TITP was like 70 and the lineup was nothing like what they get nowadays, for the same reasons.

This.

I'd bet there were loads of bands champing at the bit to play this festival on it's second year. Crying fucking shame.

xx