aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

So.... this has been cancelled?!?! They havn't sold enough tickets apparently and are short on acts. This is a damn shame and I am sorry to those involved with arranging it.

where'd you hear that? they seemed to deny it on their facebook page yesterday, seems to be a rumour doing the rounds but not confirmed yet.

would be a real shame, i know lots of people who are looking forward to it, myself included.

From what i heard, the Saturday headliner was pinned on after it looked as if festivals would be cancelled in Japan, after the earthquake.

It ended up later on that the festival wouldn't be cancelled so the band in question would have had to fill their other contract. A quick search of google shows that this band wasn't announced for the festival until 1st June, so not too long ago. I could be wrong on the band mind, but they would seem to fit very very well.

Bit of a shit situation that came up by the looks of it, if this is true. Having to find a headliner of that size must be hard.

I'd imagine they have managed to get someone now though, and just have to get things sorted out then will announce. In fact i have an idea/have heard rumours of who they might have, and they'd fit.

So i don't want what i say here to add fuel to the fire that they don't have a headliner.

If what i've written here is false or the organisers wouldn't like this up, please feel free to take it down.

I know loads of folk who have said they are going but haven't bought their tickets yet which is a shame. I'm assuming everyone is leaving it to last minute.....

Has the potential to be a good event for Aberdeen in the years to come.

I guess the organisers do need to come out with a headliner to get folk interested again (would be a good time to do so, pay weekend and all).

from fb

DUE TO THE UNEXPECTED CANCELATION OF THE NORTHERN LIGHTS MUSIC FESTIVAL , THE ORGANISERS FELT THAT DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING INTEREST FROM LOCAL BANDS THAT THEY WOULD OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE PRIZE OF 2000 CASH TO THE BANDS WHO HAVE PLAYED THE SHOWCASES AND ANYONE ELSE WISHING TO TAKE PART IN ANY OF THE PLANNED EVENTS IN JULY.

BANDS NEED TO PLAY AT LEAST ONE SHOWCASE , BUT CAN DO AS MANY AS THEY WANT .

ONE ACT FROM EACH GOES THROUGH TO A PAID SEMI FINAL GIG ON A WEEKEND , THEN ONE FINAL EVENT .

#

We're so sorry to announce that the Northern Lights Music Festival has been cancelled. This has been a heartbreaking decision to make, which has simply been taken out of our hands due to poor ticket sales. To those that have supported the festival from the beginning by buying tickets, we can only thank you and apologise........ all tickets will of course be refunded from the point of purchase. It would seem, however, that forces this year have conspired against us and unfortunately the show can't go on. We cant even begin to explain how were feeling right now and were so sorry we just tried to something for the good of all but alas it wasnt to be x

21 seconds ago LikeUnlike

Really sad news. That said, I hadn't bought tickets...

Strongest festival lineup in/around Aberdeen in a long time, and it's not happening now.

Jamesy did bloody well to get this as far as he did, and I have nothing but respect for people who tried their best to make this happen.

I echo all of this. So much hard work has gone into this, and is such a shame that it's not happening. I know it's had its detractors over various things, but this would have been a GREAT thing for the Aberdeen music scene, and Aberdeen in particular. Huge respect needs to go to everyone who invested their time and money into trying to get this to work.

• Upvote 1

Gutting. I was waiting until next pay-day to get my ticket and I can't help but wonder how many were in the same boat. I know a lot of my mates were planning on going, but don't know any who had actually bought their ticket yet. Damn shame.

I hope that this experience doesn't deter the organisers, or anyone else, from trying something again in a couple of years, although I'd imagine putting that much work and see nothing back (and perhaps lose a lot too?) would be pretty off-putting.

• Upvote 1

There is no doubt that the organisers will be down a ton from this. Pretty much zero chance of anything like this ever being attempted in Aberdeen again. If this lineup, which was pretty remarkable for a start-up festival, couldnt shift tickets, then nothing will. Also, the price was not exactly prohibitive either.

Just a big fucking shame, really.

This is really gutting.

I was gonna buy tickets but was waiting to see Saturday headliners as it would decide whether i wanted a day or weekend ticket...

Cheers for trying though guys, you seemed to put a lot of effort into it. Maybe it was just too ambitous.

It is a shame that loads of folk will now continue to complain about Aberdeen and things not happening. People just need to get down to gigs aswell and support things, i don't see why people need a festival to go see music.

How about a gig at Tunnels though with Idlewild, Twilight Sad and Xcerts to recoup some costs??

This is really gutting.

How about a gig at Tunnels though with Idlewild, Twilight Sad and Xcerts to recoup some costs??

Putting on those three bands in such a tiny venue would lose money, given the sheer cost of booking them and the limited capacity. Music Hall FTW!

Putting on those three bands in such a tiny venue would lose money, given the sheer cost of booking them and the limited capacity. Music Hall FTW!

Good point! I was thinking more cause they already have probably already paid them some forms of deposit.

Surely thats just too much of another risk though?

This is such a shame.

I was having doubts with the lack of information, planning and feedback going on.

I hope that the costs involved and then to refund people has no negative impact on Drummonds and The Tunnels.

Such a shame to see a low interest in what was a pretty good line up in Aberdeen.

There's an article on the STV website here:

Aberdeen music festival cancelled due to 'poor' ticket sales | Aberdeen City News | STV Local

It seems that once again Aberdeen has been offered something truly great - something innovative and fun and a massive coup for the city - but the dour North East attitude got in the way. Again. It happens far too often up here: change seems to be met with a Granite-set determination to keep things they way they were.

I really feel for the organisers - you've done a spectacular job, and you should be commended for all the hard work (and money) you've put into this.

P.S. According to the STV site it was Faithless who were supposed to be the mystery guests.

I was kinda sitting on the fence with regards to buying a ticket. There were a few bands playing that I sort of like but there wasn't, for me anyway, a band on there that I really really wanted to see, so I was waiting to see if there were any more bands announced that would push me into definitely wanting to go. I would have probably ended up buying one anyway though just for the sake of doing something different in Aberdeen and to support those trying to put it on.

Not that it matters now I suppose, but the rumour I heard about the Mystery Headline Act was Biffy.