aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

From our point of view, it is more an oppourtunity to play in front of more people than would normally have been in Drummonds on a Monday night. We've got our 'official' showcase on Monday night, but we were asked to play on the 28th just so there would be a wider range of music than just the acoustic acts that were originally going to have been there.

There were alot more prople there in the audience than a normal weekday night, purely because of the presence of the cameras and that was what we were wanting to be a part of, certainly not the interviews which nobody knew about until just before we played.

There are a whole load of really good bands showcasing, and although we're not expecting to get through, it has exposed us to a few new people and also a couple of promotors who'd not seen us before, and have picked up a couple more shows as a result of it, which I consider a success.

Everyone enjoyed themselves, and the people who were there seemed to have a good time. Was a win win as far as I'm concerned!

• 2 weeks later...

Who gets through??

That can't be right?

A few of those bands were in the STV video, which was from the 28th of last month i think.

They must have changed the order.

Ross or anyone else involved do you have the most recent line up?

We were told by Ross that they do not know how any bands will get through as they are still trying to book touring bands for the main line up. Also I don think it's a winner from each night. From the lis I am sur they will have a struggle to slim it down so I am sup prised the format is so loose.

So anyone been along to any of the showcases? How're things sounding?

I'm hoping to get along to a few once my exams are past.

I popped in last night and caught the last couple of bands.

Enjoyed both bands especially the last.

Not sure what the restrictions are for entry to Drummonds especially late at night?

One of the bands had brought their parents along. They looked borderline 18 but it was clear that there was many underage kids present with them. Many drinking soft drinks but a few were worse for wear.

A few drunken shenanigans came close to a fight and a few other people clearly annoying others in attendance.

Music was good but I really never felt at ease with too many drunken idiots close by.

I popped in last night and caught the last couple of bands.

Enjoyed both bands especially the last.

Not sure what the restrictions are for entry to Drummonds especially late at night?

One of the bands had brought their parents along. They looked borderline 18 but it was clear that there was many underage kids present with them. Many drinking soft drinks but a few were worse for wear.

A few drunken shenanigans came close to a fight and a few other people clearly annoying others in attendance.

Music was good but I really never felt at ease with too many drunken idiots close by.

Are you suggesting they are underage?

How old are you, out of interest? You will always have drunken idiots in pubs, Drummonds arguably more so than most, unfortunately...

Are you suggesting they are underage?

How old are you, out of interest? You will always have drunken idiots in pubs, Drummonds arguably more so than most, unfortunately...

I'm in my 30s.

Without a doubt there was people under 18 in last night and by a margin. There was quite a few around 14-15 but I did notice they were drinking soft drinks they had brought in.

There was a few who looked underage who were drinking too.

I've been in enough pubs over the years to understand the workings and been in Drummonds enough to know what normally goes on.

There was quite a few moments last night.

It was not especially busy either.

I'm in my 30s.

Without a doubt there was people under 18 in last night and by a margin. There was quite a few around 14-15 but I did notice they were drinking soft drinks they had brought in.

There was a few who looked underage who were drinking too.

I've been in enough pubs over the years to understand the workings and been in Drummonds enough to know what normally goes on.

There was quite a few moments last night.

It was not especially busy either.

To be fair, the first time I played Drummonds some drunk staggered pretty close to the stage and yelled word salad at me and I almost played a song in the wrong key as a result. I think this was like, my third gig overall and it wasn't a great thing to happen.

Then again, the Esperi gig was far better in terms of crowd (probably because it was a promoter gig and had people who wanted to be there there rather than just another night at the pub).

SO BASICALLY Drummonds is fine for big enough gigs, but for the average band booking the place for a small gig you're likely to see a few more drunks, due to it being a pub first and foremost.

(I should point out that I'm 18 and usually my parents attend my gigs because I'm just awesome like that.)

It's a 14+ venue which s brill for us as our lead guitarist has jus turned 14. Tunnels has the same licence in place. Without these to places 14+ would not be able to see live music. Both places are very strict on underage drinking as the 14+ lot support loads of local bands

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not seen this for a while...

In response

Both Tunnels and Drummonds are 14+ venues for gigs. Whereas its impossible to stop an underage person drinking prior to a show, both venues are incredibly strict with IDing on 14+ nights - Id suggest its more likely they were high on Red Bull or something. I feel personally that its important for kids to be allowed to go and see live music.

With regards drunks I would say again that this is unfortunately common place for any bar/venue in town - at free entry events its obviously a lot harder to stop, but certainly at paid entry shows doorstaff or promoter are doing everything they can to stop anyone drunk from entering. I for one at AGP gigs could make a lot more money by charging pissed people to get into my shows, but have no urge for my events to be ruined by neds so dont allow them in.

And with regards the showcases - there have been over 200 bands applying and we are getting through them,. We have tried to fit everyone in. This has never been a battle of the bands format, merely a way for bands to play in front of festival reps at each showcase.

There is no set number of bands from each event going through. Alot of those taking part are far from ready, and hopefully know that and will get better, but from my point of view its good to see people getting involved with something and making an effort. Gigs during the week for local bands can be pretty hard to make busy so its been nice to see all of these events well attended and younger bands getting excited.

I would suggest it wont be that hard to decide on the bands getting offered a place at the festival, as despite the quantity there havent been that many that would suit or be capable of playing at a larger event. Thats not a slight on most of the bands - just fact that they may be too young, too inexperienced, and yes I guess in some cases - too shit.

I would also add before anyone says anything that despite booking the showcases - I still have nothing to do with deciding who gets offered a slot (cant be too careful on here!) :)

I bought my tickets as soon as they came out in April from Drummonds.

I was told that there was many high profile bands still to be added to the line up. I was told that they were signed but due to them playing in the local area close to the time of the festival, as per contract they could not announce them quite yet and possibly cause harm to their own gig ticket sales.

The main headline was all but sealed too and would be announced as soon as possible.

Since then only the Pigeon detectives have been added to the line up.

With the amount of other festivals on offer tempting people to part with their cash and the fact it's also during one of the busiest holiday periods, you have to fight early for people's cash in my opinion.

I was told that the last couple of weekend they have been in the shopping centre trying to promote the event further.

Surely most of the people who were going to buy tickets for what the line up is at present would have by now?

It only is 7 weeks away and I'm sure from the people who are travelling any kind of distance would especially need to know so they could organise private buses, cheap advance train fares and accommodation for the weekend.

I've bought my tickets on the basis that whoever the headline act is, it's a bonus. I don't think 90 is too bad from what is on offer at present.

If others bought tickets on what I was told at Drummonds with lots of high profile bands and a major headline act to be added, I guess they might have reason to be upset if it never happened.

I am starting to think I was correct judging if it was worth 90 and a weekend of my time as it was because I'm no longer expecting much else.

I'd like a surprise but I can't see why all of a sudden there will be a number of additions to the line up. These things are organised well in advance.

Has there been any layout plans published yet?

With 7 weeks to go I'd imagine this is all planned and set too. I'd would be nice to see how the festival is going to be laid out in the park.

Has anyone got any information how ticket sales have been going?

Guest Gladstone
I bought my tickets as soon as they came out in April from Drummonds.

I was told that there was many high profile bands still to be added to the line up. I was told that they were signed but due to them playing in the local area close to the time of the festival, as per contract they could not announce them quite yet and possibly cause harm to their own gig ticket sales.

The main headline was all but sealed too and would be announced as soon as possible.

Since then only the Pigeon detectives have been added to the line up.

With the amount of other festivals on offer tempting people to part with their cash and the fact it's also during one of the busiest holiday periods, you have to fight early for people's cash in my opinion.

I was told that the last couple of weekend they have been in the shopping centre trying to promote the event further.

Surely most of the people who were going to buy tickets for what the line up is at present would have by now?

It only is 7 weeks away and I'm sure from the people who are travelling any kind of distance would especially need to know so they could organise private buses, cheap advance train fares and accommodation for the weekend.

I've bought my tickets on the basis that whoever the headline act is, it's a bonus. I don't think 90 is too bad from what is on offer at present.

If others bought tickets on what I was told at Drummonds with lots of high profile bands and a major headline act to be added, I guess they might have reason to be upset if it never happened.

I am starting to think I was correct judging if it was worth 90 and a weekend of my time as it was because I'm no longer expecting much else.

I'd like a surprise but I can't see why all of a sudden there will be a number of additions to the line up. These things are organised well in advance.

Has there been any layout plans published yet?

With 7 weeks to go I'd imagine this is all planned and set too. I'd would be nice to see how the festival is going to be laid out in the park.

Has anyone got any information how ticket sales have been going?

I think you need to sit back and think about how much work all of these things entail. I'm sure they're all working flat out behind the scenes to get everything done. There's no need 7 weeks before the event for punters to see a site layout (for example) - although the site layout will probably have been sorted out by now, they'll have more important things to do right now than publish that on the website etc.

As for the announcement of acts etc. they will have their (good) reasons for announcing and when to announce. If, like you say there are big name acts still to be announced but they're holding off due to other gigs nearer the time then they'll still be holding off because gig tickets won't all sell out that far in advance. A big announcement a couple of weeks from the festival will see a surge in ticket sales. I've no idea what the capacity of the festival will be, but given that it will be very accessible to an entire city of people I doubt the travelling arrangements that you mention will be that much of a consideration for many folk going to the festival.

As for the point that people who were going to buy a ticket for the event based on current line up would have done so already - not if they haven't already heard about the festival! Which is why they would have been promoting the event!

I've no doubt that it does take a huge amount of planning and there is plenty to keep occupied with.

Nice touches inspire confidence though and it seems that's what a lot of people don't have with this festival and with time passing doubt is creeping in for many more.

Like you say it does take a lot of planning and things are usually nailed down a long time in advance. I just don't see why your main act and selling point still would not be named by now.

For all the time it would take, updates to the website would be a nice touch, but the website is still advertising 25 day of May-hem to go. That's over a month out of date.

The guy from Drummonds told me the capacity is 25,000. That's a lot of people and it's obviously dependant of people travelling from elsewhere to get that amount.

I'm sure you would appreciate the cost of a festival for anyone, especially those who need to travel. Take the lady and you are 180+ fees for tickets, accommodation, food, drink and travel. You could quite easily be looking at 600 for a couple with all things considered.

With 7 weeks to go you can book the train for 20 return from Edinburgh. Wait until the last minute and it's 70.

If you have bought your festival tickets well in advance that will also reduce the big hit in such a short period.

It's not really an impulse buy for many as it will cost a lot of cash.

If they do announce a huge band with a few weeks to go, I'm sure a lot of people will simply be unable to scramble the amount of cash together quickly.

Do you not appreciate that as a fair point of view?

This is not bashing the festival. I want to see it succeed and I've already bought my tickets.

It does seem to be the case that many people lack confidence in the event. Even this thread on a music forum has a fair amount of doubt within it.

Not meaning to sound like a moaner, but I feel my points are fair and constructive.

What exactly do you lack confidence in? The event actually happening? Because it is happening.

Just the fact a lot has been promised and with weeks to go none of it has happened as yet.

I don't believe that knowing the full line up 7 weeks before the event is really a major ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think not having announced the Saturday night headliners just now is a bit weird. I read on here, or possibly aberdeen-mad, that it was all confirmed and they were just delaying the announcement to maximise the second wave of ticket buyers, i.e. those that were interested, but needed a bit of persuading. Surely the announcement has got to be imminent for that to work, as any later and I'd imagine you'd risk missing out on sales due to it being too short notice for a lot of folk. I guess waiting until around pay-day could work.

I must add that I know nothing about promoting or marketing whatsoever like.

I had a look around and noticed that Ocean Colour Scene are doing a few little festivals but are free on this weekend.

A bit old, but still gold.

There seems to be a fair amount of promotion going on to give away the tickets to help promote the event.

The music side of things has been quiet though.

I'm still looking forward to it. I would not mind Maximo Park being pushed up to headline act, but we would need something in the middle.