aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

Dylan's recent output is pretty strong on the whole, the Christmas seems a misjudgement. I've not heard it, but that's because the thought of Dylan singing Christmas songs seems horrific. I do like Boab though.

You'd have to be a mentalist of huge proportions to suggest Status Quo are superior in any way to Bob Dylan. They had a few catchy tunes way back when and I'm sure that they represent a more enjoyable live experience to Dylan but that's more likely down to the fact they are happy to trundle out the favourites in identikit fashion rather than f**k around with their songs in the way Dylan does.

Guest Gladstone
Dylan's recent output is pretty strong on the whole, the Christmas seems a misjudgement. I've not heard it, but that's because the thought of Dylan singing Christmas songs seems horrific. I do like Boab though.

You'd have to be a mentalist of huge proportions to suggest Status Quo are superior in any way to Bob Dylan. They had a few catchy tunes way back when and I'm sure that they represent a more enjoyable live experience to Dylan but that's more likely down to the fact they are happy to trundle out the favourites in identikit fashion rather than f**k around with their songs in the way Dylan does.

Homo....

I'm not comparing careers just stating that the recent output I've heard from both bands, Quo's was better as the last Dylan I heard was the Christmas album, which was beyond awfull: I enclose a clip from his Christmas album playable at the amazon download site: Amazon.com: Hark The Herald Angels Sing: Bob Dylan: MP3 Downloads

Dylan is undoubtedly the more influential artist and is the greater artist over his career which is why he should know better ;) Quo are just great fun and don;t take themselves too seriously, at least since their noses fell out.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
For true homosexual leanings suggestion, you should have altered my original text to state 'I love the Boaby'.

Do better next time :up:

Homo....

I'm not comparing careers just stating that the recent output I've heard from both bands, Quo's was better as the last Dylan I heard was the Christmas album, which was beyond awfull: I enclose a clip from his Christmas album playable at the amazon download site: Amazon.com: Hark The Herald Angels Sing: Bob Dylan: MP3 Downloads

Dylan is undoubtedly the more influential artist and is the greater artist over his career which is why he should know better ;) Quo are just great fun and don;t take themselves too seriously, at least since their noses fell out.

Aye man, you were definitely on the noise up though when the Quo tune you produced as 'evidence' was the Anniversary Waltz, shit, that's worse than Margarita Time, *shudders*, but for internets noise up, 'twas the perfect choice.

There is some defence for 70s Quo, but not a shred for 80s, and that is a direct ruling from the Associated Tribunal for What is Artistically Tasteful.

Seriously, as if the interview camera being present at the showcase wasn't embarrassing enough, does anyone here really want even one single person from out of town finding this thread and getting the impression that the citizens of Aberdeen prefer Status Quo to Bob Dylan?

Have some fucking pride. It ends here.

I've been looking at the line-ups to these showcase shows with quite a lot of interest. I like to think I have a fairly good grasp of the active bands in Aberdeen, but there are some folks in there I have simply never heard of. Ever. And I have yet to find someone else who has heard of them. Are these people who have just got together for this, thinking that playing a festival might be good banter? Or are they new bands, who have decided Northern Lights should be their big debut?

That said, there are some great bands taking part in these showcases, and out of all that have applied I can see what should be a pretty decent line-up taking shape.

I've been looking at the line-ups to these showcase shows with quite a lot of interest. I like to think I have a fairly good grasp of the active bands in Aberdeen, but there are some folks in there I have simply never heard of. Ever. And I have yet to find someone else who has heard of them. Are these people who have just got together for this, thinking that playing a festival might be good banter? Or are they new bands, who have decided Northern Lights should be their big debut?

That said, there are some great bands taking part in these showcases, and out of all that have applied I can see what should be a pretty decent line-up taking shape.

Have you got a link to the show case line ups?

I've mostly found out about them through Facebook invites by AGP and the bands themselves.

Also found a partial list on FnS whilst Googling, out of the 30-odd bands listed on there, I recognised less than half: Northern Lights Festival 2011- Updates | Flares n Seagulls

Shame there isn't a complete 'official' list on the NL website actually...

EDITED FOR HEINOUS SPELLING MISTAKES.

Mon 2 May

Elevation' date=' Semperfi, Cook Doo, Tensium Rising, The Ruckus

[b']Mon 9 May

Ghosts of Progress, Nicky Powel Band, Emerald Sunday, Willie G Trio, Good Police

Mon 16 May

The Myke Black Band, Shy James, Crooked Little Vein, Silver By Skyline, Rich Gordon Band

Sun 22 May

Which Way Now?. The Kurbs, Zulu People, Three Knots, Bryan Anthony Alvarez Band

Sun 29 May

Turning 13, Talking Sideways, Suburban Saints, Aperture, Michelle Barclay

Sun 5 June

Lost City Soul, Arrogance, Gutter Godz, Joy Riot

Sun 12 June

Nova Kings, Malfunction, Foxhunting

Mon 13 June

Ded Rabbit, Pre Teens

A quick look at Facebook also throws up...

Fri 13 May

Wildcrow, Red Drone, The Shakedown Project, Xtreme Machine

Mon 30 May

Stanley

And of course that one filmed by STV and any others before the 2nd of May...

I would SERIOUSLY doubt that one act per showcase would make it through - if that televised showcase is anything to go by, I would assume none of those bands make the cut. They aren't very good.

Plus, by luck of the draw it would stand to reason taht two or three good bands are in the same heat and it would suck for them to be limited to just one winner.

Originally Posted by flaresnseagulls.com

Mon 2 May

Elevation, Semperfi, Cook Doo, Tensium Rising, The Ruckus

Mon 9 May

Ghosts of Progress, Nicky Powel Band, Emerald Sunday, Willie G Trio, Good Police

Mon 16 May

The Myke Black Band, Shy James, Crooked Little Vein, Silver By Skyline, Rich Gordon Band

Sun 22 May

Which Way Now?. The Kurbs, Zulu People, Three Knots, Bryan Anthony Alvarez Band

Sun 29 May

Turning 13, Talking Sideways, Suburban Saints, Aperture, Michelle Barclay

Sun 5 June

Lost City Soul, Arrogance, Gutter Godz, Joy Riot

Sun 12 June

Nova Kings, Malfunction, Foxhunting

Mon 13 June

Ded Rabbit, Pre Teens

A quick look at Facebook also throws up...

Fri 13 May

Wildcrow, Red Drone, The Shakedown Project, Xtreme Machine

Mon 30 May

Stanley

And of course that one filmed by STV and any others before the 2nd of May...

That can't be right?

A few of those bands were in the STV video, which was from the 28th of last month i think.

They must have changed the order.

Ross or anyone else involved do you have the most recent line up?

Guest Gladstone
I would SERIOUSLY doubt that one act per showcase would make it through - if that televised showcase is anything to go by, I would assume none of those bands make the cut. They aren't very good.

Plus, by luck of the draw it would stand to reason taht two or three good bands are in the same heat and it would suck for them to be limited to just one winner.

Yeah - exactly. Otherwise it would be a "battle of the bands" with a winner from each heat going through.

This is a "showcase" where the organiser can check out bands in a live setting. The ones that are deemed good enough out of all the showcases as a whole will get a place at the festival. Probably 5 or 6 bands in total I'd take a guess at.

I wasn't suggesting it would be one per showcase, mate.