aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

I honestly did not intend for this to go off topic.

I enjoy my music and don't mind dipping my hand in my pocket to go see a band just for something to do. I'd rather pay for a ticket to see an unknown band than pay to go to a nightclub.

I've been here for a year but was returing home every weekend. For the last 6 months I now stay in Aberdeen every 2nd weekend and go out a few times during the week on top of that.

This weekend I was in The Globe inn for most of Friday night. Went to Drummonds afterwards to meet up with a mate and believe I missed a good Ska band. Sounded like the band that played the end of February that were indeed good.

Saturday I was at the Glasvegas gig and then paid to get into Drummonds afterwards even though the band was not to my taste.

I honestly could not count how many time I've been in Drummonds, I've been to the Globe a few times now, Lemon Tree a few times, AECC and even turned up at open mic nights in pubs for a listen.

I've not been to The Tunnels as yet but fully intend checking a few bands out there.

My comment was in general and not specifically the local scene or big touring bands.

From the big bands I've paid to see, outwith Glasvegas, who I felt were poor on Saturday night, I've got what I've expected.

From the unknown bands I've popped in to see at the other venues there has not been that many that I felt were any good. Yeah a lot comes down to personal taste but outwith The Tunnels I'm not sure where else to look?

As I say I apologise that my comments have upset people but I was only passing my opinion.

Part of the reason of joining this forum was to get more information about what was happening and I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm missing.

I suspect that I am slightly older than most of the contributors to this forum and whilst I agree that Aberdeen does suffer from being musically challenged for big names I must say a couple of things.

I completely and utterly applaud the Seaton park festival initiative. I don't know who is behind it but big kudos to who ever it is. I hope it is a raging success - bands will get to hear about it and want to come. People will attend as it doesn't mean they have to travel miles to attend other festivals. Keep it going. Get someone locally famous (ie Billy Connolly to support it and get him to come and play some of his music - probably no-one has heard of the Humblebums but with something like that you will get publicity and masses of it.) And Connolly is nuts enough to do it. I attended a small festival called Glastonbury some 20 years ago and say a small band that ended up being Oasis.

It would be great to have famous names playing in Aberdeen with local bands supporting them but that takes money, publicity and money. It hopefully will improve over the next few years if this keeps going.

Well done.

I like the fact they asked every single person 'where are you from?' as if it was something we just had to know and was going to be anything other than 'Aberdeen'

What were they expecting?

'I'm bill, i've come all the way from New Zealand for this unique opportunity'

I like the fact they asked every single person 'where are you from?' as if it was something we just had to know and was going to be anything other than 'Aberdeen'

What were they expecting?

'I'm bill, i've come all the way from New Zealand for this unique opportunity'

Well to be fair there are bands playing from up north as far as Inverness and as far south as Glasgow so fairly reasonable to ask where theyre from. And a fair number come from Aberdeenshire and other surrounding areas.

STV are aiming to cover around 10-12 of the showcases. Whilst quality of the acts is going to vary, its great to see people paying attention to whats happening.

Unlike the likes of Tbreak when it held heats despite largely knowing who they were going to pick anyway, there is no snobbery in terms of bands. Anyone can apply to play and will be given the same time as anyone else - who knows out of nearly 100 bands playing these showcases there might be a gem or two.

Well to be fair there are bands playing from up north as far as Inverness and as far south as Glasgow so fairly reasonable to ask where theyre from. And a fair number come from Aberdeenshire and other surrounding areas.

STV are aiming to cover around 10-12 of the showcases. Whilst quality of the acts is going to vary, its great to see people paying attention to whats happening.

Unlike the likes of Tbreak when it held heats despite largely knowing who they were going to pick anyway, there is no snobbery in terms of bands. Anyone can apply to play and will be given the same time as anyone else - who knows out of nearly 100 bands playing these showcases there might be a gem or two.

No offence, and I bow to your greater knowledge of these things, but is it really the best method to let everyone play a showcase gig? Surely there could be some quality control to narrow down those getting to the stage of playing an actual gig. Just a 30 second listen to a demo could surely save a lot of time and effort here? That video on STV is hardly a great advert for a 'showcase' of Aberdeen's local talent...

Oh aye, I'm not having a go at anything to do with the music or the event. It's the stilted stv production I thought was funny. These vts they do are always shit and so formulaic with zero imagination.