aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

Guest Gladstone
My comments were nothing to do with Ross as I have no idea which bands he is involved with on a personal level.

My point was that I disagreed with the suggestion that any of the bands mentioned represent the 'best' of Aberdeen's music scene by dint of perceived 'contribution'. If we follow the logic of longevity etc, best get that Pallas band on the bill as they have probably 'achieved' more than any of the other bands put together on paper. They could update that annoying banner ad.

I think you've misinterpreted my comments. The length of time the Little Kicks (for example) have been on the go was only intended to be relevant because they've been consistently achieving great things throughout that whole time. It's far more to do with their actual musical merit, output, gigs, what they would bring to the festival and relevance than the length of time they've been a band!

Anyway - let's stop arguing about it, I don't think we even disagree...!!!

nah, I said the 'scope of the festival' i.e. choose bands that play the kind of music that aligns with the promoters' vision.

put it this way:

Free at the Dee - doesn't matter who comes to play. Any old michelle mcmanus or whoever is popular at the time. As long as people show up.

This festival - Decent enough bands, some less good (in the opinion of who's booking) but popular, some really good but less popular. A good mix basically to cover a lot of tastes and still maintain the credibility.

A niche festival where big crowds aren't expected - then it really matters what the quality is like and what the promoter's tastes are.

Am i alone in thinking this? i.e. to get crowds promoters must surely sacrifice personal taste to a certain extent. I dunno the first thing about it so tell me if im wrong.

I see where idol_wild is coming from, but I'd pretty much agree with this, in this instance.

I reckon this festival really needs to concentrate on getting good numbers behind it in the first year, in order to perhaps have more scope for growth (and possibly more niche stages) in future.

I don't really see the need for local showcases as I'm pretty sure the guys running the festival will know who is most suitable. We could all easily come up with 5 or 6 local names who would fit the bill and I'm sure there would not be many in disagreement.

Anyway. Well done everyone in getting this far. Big thumbs up. :up:

More on James Walbourne and Edwynn Collins

Further to my earlier message (see below) - James tells me he is not appearing at the Festival with his band but will be there only to play bass for his friend Edwynn Collins.

This seems a shame as James is very talented - maybe the promoters don't even know that James will be there.

Graham

I don't know about the other names that have previously been mentioned but I can confirm that my "Facebook Friend" James Walbourne is booked.

James used to be with Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders, the Pernice Brothers etc. He has been much in demand for recording sessions here in the UK and in the USA. James is featured prominently on Jerry Lee Lewis's recent Mean Old Man CD that was recorded in Memphis.

James is on Heavenly Records and often appears at the same show as his labelmate Edywnn Collins who is also booked for the Aberdeen Festival.

These links detail both artists' latest recordings.

James Walbourne // Heavenly Recordings

Edwyn Collins // Heavenly Recordings

This is a link to James playing some great guitar.

James is a very accomplished musician.

I've already bought a couple of tickets as a gift.

Don't think 90 is too bad to be honest.

Aberdeen does not have a very good music scene and I honestly thought people would jump at this.

If it's a success who know where it might lead in future years?

Someone else mentioned earlier about taking their own drink etc. Like nearly all events you are not allowed to take your own food and drink on site. This t&c is printed on the tickets but should have been expected anyways.

I honestly did not intend for this to go off topic.

I enjoy my music and don't mind dipping my hand in my pocket to go see a band just for something to do. I'd rather pay for a ticket to see an unknown band than pay to go to a nightclub.

I've been here for a year but was returing home every weekend. For the last 6 months I now stay in Aberdeen every 2nd weekend and go out a few times during the week on top of that.

This weekend I was in The Globe inn for most of Friday night. Went to Drummonds afterwards to meet up with a mate and believe I missed a good Ska band. Sounded like the band that played the end of February that were indeed good.

Saturday I was at the Glasvegas gig and then paid to get into Drummonds afterwards even though the band was not to my taste.

I honestly could not count how many time I've been in Drummonds, I've been to the Globe a few times now, Lemon Tree a few times, AECC and even turned up at open mic nights in pubs for a listen.

I've not been to The Tunnels as yet but fully intend checking a few bands out there.

My comment was in general and not specifically the local scene or big touring bands.

From the big bands I've paid to see, outwith Glasvegas, who I felt were poor on Saturday night, I've got what I've expected.

From the unknown bands I've popped in to see at the other venues there has not been that many that I felt were any good. Yeah a lot comes down to personal taste but outwith The Tunnels I'm not sure where else to look?

As I say I apologise that my comments have upset people but I was only passing my opinion.

Part of the reason of joining this forum was to get more information about what was happening and I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm missing.

I honestly did not intend for this to go off topic.

I enjoy my music and don't mind dipping my hand in my pocket to go see a band just for something to do. I'd rather pay for a ticket to see an unknown band than pay to go to a nightclub.

I've been here for a year but was returing home every weekend. For the last 6 months I now stay in Aberdeen every 2nd weekend and go out a few times during the week on top of that.

This weekend I was in The Globe inn for most of Friday night. Went to Drummonds afterwards to meet up with a mate and believe I missed a good Ska band. Sounded like the band that played the end of February that were indeed good.

Saturday I was at the Glasvegas gig and then paid to get into Drummonds afterwards even though the band was not to my taste.

I honestly could not count how many time I've been in Drummonds, I've been to the Globe a few times now, Lemon Tree a few times, AECC and even turned up at open mic nights in pubs for a listen.

I've not been to The Tunnels as yet but fully intend checking a few bands out there.

My comment was in general and not specifically the local scene or big touring bands.

From the big bands I've paid to see, outwith Glasvegas, who I felt were poor on Saturday night, I've got what I've expected.

From the unknown bands I've popped in to see at the other venues there has not been that many that I felt were any good. Yeah a lot comes down to personal taste but outwith The Tunnels I'm not sure where else to look?

As I say I apologise that my comments have upset people but I was only passing my opinion.

Part of the reason of joining this forum was to get more information about what was happening and I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm missing.

Check the Gigs And Events forum bit. You'll get an idea of what is going on from there.

Have you just been turning up at random gigs and hoping for the best?

Some of the midweek random local band stuff can be pretty gash, if you go to the gigs put on by the likes of AGP and IMP most of them are always awesome.

There are some awesome local bands, and we get some great touring bands too. You just have to keep an eye out for it.

Aberdeen is just as good as Glasgow in some respects, it just isn't as immediate or as noticeable at first.

Aberdeen is just as good as Glasgow in some respects, it just isn't as immediate or as noticeable at first.

I don't agree with that.

The Aberdeen music scene has always been quite small but it has never been great IMO. Someone on here mentioned a while back that there is a lot of mutual back slapping and not much else. I agree with that.

I think a Tunnels related thread went through this.

Anyway, back to the festival itself. Heard a whisper that Ian Brown is playing/or has been approached to play. If that is true then this will sell out without any problems at all.

Can't be arsed reading your massive response, but don't worry about it, no one is having a go at you. Welcome to Aberdeen Music!

He's right - I didn't mean for it to come across like I was having a go, apologies if it did!

Aberdeen has some great 'local' bands and thanks to IMP, AGP and Steven Milne (DHC, The Lemon Tree) can now attract a lot of 'touring' acts that perhaps wouldn't have considered playing the city in the past.

I would suggest following/befriending The Tunnels, Drummonds, AGP and GFN on Facebook as a start, as they regularly update their pages with gig information.

The Gigs & Events sub-forum on this website is also extremely handy for finding out what's on. Would also propose that you check out what's on before you turn up as russtyeh is right - if you stumble into the wrong line-up it can be a nightmare!

Aberdeen does not have a very good music scene and I honestly thought people would jump at this. .

What do you mean?!?! Madness are playing!!! Fucking Madness!!! I saw them last night on The Young Ones! Status Quo were here last December...yes..THE QUO!! Who says Aberdeen is always stuck 30 years in the past!!8-)