aberdeen-music

Seaton Park Festival? Any info

rowan

Very good news.... for some people !..... and I do commend all the hard work that this must have entailed....well done !..... a great thing for Aberdeen music lovers !

Having said that.... there is not much there that I would be willing to pay so much money on !

(does not really feed my musical tastes...shame ! :()

I guess it isn't for you then. Maybe you can put on your own festival next year.

FIIIIGHT

Also, I'm sort of in that boat. It's an astonishingly good line-up in terms of profile, but musically I'd see a few of the acts, not them all.

Is that not generally the rub of festivals? You'd like to see some of the acts but others you wouldn't. They've got to make an attempt to appeal to a variety of audiences.

I'm sure they'll be other stuff there as well to pass the time in between acts. Drinking is springing to mind.

Is that not generally the rub of festivals? You'd like to see some of the acts but others you wouldn't. They've got to make an attempt to appeal to a variety of audiences.

I'm sure they'll be other stuff there as well to pass the time in between acts. Drinking is springing to mind.

Well yes, but it sounded as though Jim felt he should be properly up for this.

I personally would love to go - oddly the fact that it's in Seaton and so cheap turns me off, per neds.

It's not like neds are going to just crawl out of the bushes brandishing used condoms. I presume the park will be fenced off. If you can survive George st on a Saturday afternoon, you can survive this.

Aye, I know, but if you actually meet me you'll understand why I'd be nervous. ;)

I guess it isn't for you then. Maybe you can put on your own festival next year.

Hey, Jim, don't get me wrong....I've nothing against any of the acts thats on, if its what you like ?.....but most are just not my cup of tea (saying that, I would like to see Madness, but even they are not worth paying that much for me!)......

..... and I would never presume to be skilled & organized enough to be able to "put on my own festival next year"..... so really, your sarcasm was lost on me...sorry ! :D

Hey, the festival's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but Sam's right in recognising the achievement of organising it regardless!

Reading on aberdeen-mad as well that they are 'tactically' holding back the announcement of the Saturday night headliners, but going by Jamesy's posts on there, it sounds like it's going to be another great catch.

When I lived in Edinburgh I used to go and see Bombskare in The Postillion pub by the bus station every second Sunday afternoon/evening, ska covers band, used to be a brilliant day out. I remember being in Drummonds post-Pittodrie one day and they were setting up gear as they were playing that night, there was only a couple of the members left who I recalled.

I'm still finding the idea of Kelis playing in Aberdeen slightly surreal. That more than anything else. I'm going, anyway.

What do people think is going to happen with neds? That they will be hiding behind buildings waiting for crowds of unsuspecting music fans and they will come roaring out on home-made dune buggies like something in 'Mad Max 2' for a little rape and pillaging?

What do people think is going to happen with neds? That they will be hiding behind buildings waiting for crowds of unsuspecting music fans and they will come roaring out on home-made dune buggies like something in 'Mad Max 2' for a little rape and pillaging?

This. If I was camping I might worry about the crowd, but even then, someone might mildly annoy you in the night. At worst your tent gets peed on, which would cuk. People are annoying when they're drunk though. In terms of violence, I don't think that will be a big problem and I'm sure the staff will have anything that does kick off under control. So what is it? The very sight of them? That they like the Happy Mondays (a slight problem at Wizard)?

Hey, Jim, don't get me wrong....I've nothing against any of the acts thats on, if its what you like ?.....but most are just not my cup of tea (saying that, I would like to see Madness, but even they are not worth paying that much for me!)......

..... and I would never presume to be skilled & organized enough to be able to "put on my own festival next year"..... so really, your sarcasm was lost on me...sorry ! :D

Posting that you musical taste isn't catered for in this festival is akin to saying you don't like eggs. Not really any point. Anyhow, I'm nae picking a fight just thought it was an odd post :up:

Don't let the inmates take over the asylum. Music fans buy all the tickets, no neds. Besides, neds shop at sports direct so I doubt 90 Is in their budget

Sadly the cost can often not be a concern for such types.my last experience camping at TITP was bespoilt by an ever expanding family of weegie neds camped over the path from us. They had no tickets, or indeed tents, just hung about the campsite all day after jumping the fence at some point. They were lucky the weather held as most of them just seemed to be sleeping on the grass. I think the first night 2 guys tried to share a tiny one man tent but when we got up in the morning there was only one guy left in it and it was wrapped round him like a blanket.

We ended up deciding to pack up on the Sunday morning in readiness to drive home after it was finished rather than stay another night.Displaying the standard lack of awareness typical of this sort of person, rather than realise exactly why we were uprooting, one ned boldly tried to blag my wristband off me as 'I wouldnae need it anymoooore'. Um no, you dumb f**k, I still need it to gain entry

I think I'm going to try and get a hotel booked for the Saturday night to save haking back to Stoney.

Guest Gladstone
Sadly the cost can often not be a concern for such types.my last experience camping at TITP was bespoilt by an ever expanding family of weegie neds camped over the path from us. They had no tickets, or indeed tents, just hung about the campsite all day after jumping the fence at some point. They were lucky the weather held as most of them just seemed to be sleeping on the grass. I think the first night 2 guys tried to share a tiny one man tent but when we got up in the morning there was only one guy left in it and it was wrapped round him like a blanket.

We ended up deciding to pack up on the Sunday morning in readiness to drive home after it was finished rather than stay another night.Displaying the standard lack of awareness typical of this sort of person, rather than realise exactly why we were uprooting, one ned boldly tried to blag my wristband off me as 'I wouldnae need it anymoooore'. Um no, you dumb f**k, I still need it to gain entry

I think I'm going to try and get a hotel booked for the Saturday night to save haking back to Stoney.

Neds are fucking everywhere you go, particularly at music festivals and gigs with any popular band. I've seen a bit of trouble with them at TITP in the past, but went 6 years in a row and was only bothered by them once when they tried to pinch my mate's CD player. Other than that 5 years of just ignoring them was fine.

There will be neds at the festival at Seaton Park, but certainly no higher a concentration than at other festivals just because it's at Seaton Park. They will have to part with their 90 to get a ticket. It's not like they will be hiding in the bushes like you said above. They will pished and annoying at worst - but most folk when pished are annoying, whether they are neds or not.

The negativity on this thread (there hasn't been as much as there normally is to be fair though) is the sort of thing that puts people off trying to do something new. Embrace the fact that there is a potentially cracking music festival a kick in the arse from the centre of Aberdeen!!

(None of this was really aimed at Plinth by the way...)

(None of this was really aimed at Plinth by the way...)

I would hope notI've been pretty damn supportive of this venture! Great thing for the area.

My TITP ned burble wasn't meant to be a negative. The only folk who are genuinely likely to be put off by the threat of neds are overly prissy 'alternative' types who would never be happy about this sort of line-up in any case.

After watching the 'All Tomorrow's Parties' film, I think too many of them in concentration would be just as irritating as the neds.

Guest Gladstone
I would hope notI've been pretty damn supportive of this venture! Great thing for the area.

My TITP ned burble wasn't meant to be a negative. The only folk who are genuinely likely to be put off by the threat of neds are overly prissy 'alternative' types who would never be happy about this sort of line-up in any case.

After watching the 'All Tomorrow's Parties' film, I think too many of them in concentration would be just as irritating as the neds.

Ha - yeah - it wasn't aimed at you. Just wanted to point that out because I'd quoted your last comment!

Guest Gladstone
To be fair, much of the "negativity" does actually commend the achievements here too, so.

I did say there wasn't as much as there normally is, but still negativity is negativity. I include in that people complaining about the line up. This happens every year at Wizard Festival as well, where people moan because there aren't more "new" artists on the bill.

They completely fail to realise that if you want to sell 5000 tickets at 75 a go, you need a broad mix with a couple of big names (even if the big names are from about 10 years ago). Yes, the big names could be someone current, but then the ticket price would need to go up to pay their massive bill. The first Wizard Festival was pretty much paid out of the pockets of the organisers (2 brothers) as far as I'm aware, and I don't really think they're in profit yet (maybe just). The point is that it takes an absolute shitload of effort, time and above all else, money to get something like this off the ground and it really pisses me off when people have a pop because (for example) Madness are headlining.

I'm not sure if anyone on here had a pop because of Madness, but someone on my facebook page did - in fact, it was my own fucking brother who said "why the fuck are Madness headlining when Idlewild are there". Completely missing the point that although he thinks that Idlewild are miles better than Madness, Madness appeals to a wider audience.

I'm in quite a good mood today, so nae sure where all this ranting is coming from :)