aberdeen-music

Troll maths

Le Stu

The order of operations isn't explicit in the problem that Mr Le Stu has presented to us.

Had it been 48(2(9+3) or (482)(9+3) we could have given a definitive single answer as standard practice is to resolve brackets before the multiplication/division stage but leaving it as 482(9+3) puts in some ambiguity which renders both answers valid. Woo!

Yup. Definitely 2.

48 devided by 2 = 24

then you do what's in the brackets, 9+3 is 12.

then divide the first product by the second. 24 divided by 12 = 2.

I can't find the divide symbol on my keyboard. I have no idea where anyone is getting 288 from.

There is so much wrong with this.

Correct answer, wrong method.

48 / 2 (9 + 3)

= 48 / 2 (12)

= 48 / 24

= 2

The order of operations isn't explicit in the problem that Mr Le Stu has presented to us.

Had it been 48(2(9+3) or (482)(9+3) we could have given a definitive single answer as standard practice is to resolve brackets before the multiplication/division stage but leaving it as 482(9+3) puts in some ambiguity which renders both answers valid. Woo!

nah, it's 2. Good attempt though. There's actually no ambiguity to the expression, just a rather ugly mix of natural and computer notation. people get 288 as they incorrectly interpret 2(9+3) as 2*(9+3) when it's actually (2*(9+3)) or as adam wrote it as a natural expression.

Man, people go nuts over this though.

nah, it's 2. Good attempt though. There's actually no ambiguity to the expression, just a rather ugly mix of natural and computer notation. people get 288 as they incorrectly interpret 2(9+3) as 2*(9+3) when it's actually (2*(9+3)) or as adam wrote it as a natural expression.

Man, people go nuts over this though.

Instinct said "it's just 2". Overactive coffee brain said "fuck that, let's make things more complicated than is necessary".

Still...

I flippin' love maths.

Brackets first. But the brackets are done like this:

2*9=18

2*3=6

So...

48/2(9+3) = 48/(18+6)

= 48 / 24

= 2.

I did engineering Maths for 2 and a half years. This was about a year and a half ago, but I'm sure I'm right.

that's it :up: I'm actually applying for an engineering course so I've been revising basic maths. if you do enough algebra you'll instantly see it's 2 as you know how to resolve parentheses properly. :up:

Is it college or uni? The maths test shouldn't be too hard. Pretty simple.

You end up doing a whole class on learning how to use your scientific calculator anyway.

college. I'm hoping it's just simple algebra, maybe trig and understanding log/exp scales.

and yeah I have no idea how to work this casio thing.