aberdeen-music

Belmont Cinema in trouble?

Lemonade

I saw the Star Wars trilogy as a triple bill at the Odeon (now a gym :down: circa 1985.

Charlie Love out of The Dreaming/Tinderbox was sitting in front of us, he was in my brother's year at school.

I believe he taught one of my sisters at school too, which is why I was always hearing them! (Or I'm utterly confused)

I used to love The Belmont but must confess that I haven't been since seeing Alice In Wonderland last year (March/April). I got an Unlimited Cineworld card as a Christmas gift and have a LoveFilm account so between those two, I tend not to want to spend 7+ on a cinema ticket. I find the building quite drab (I know it's the films you go to see, not the building) and the screens too small. Saying that, the seats are the comfiest in Aberdeen! Also, I have found a couple of members of staff to be rather gloomy, borderline rude, over the years (thought having not been in a year, I am unsure if they still work there).

It would be sad to see it go, but as the saying goes, use it or lose it. How many of the people signing the petition go on any sort of regular basis? Should it be bought over, given a lick of paint and introduce some deals/film seasons as suggested, I would be tempted to happily head back.

I went in today as part of my "Go to the belmont more often" promise. Had a nice quiet latte in the bar downstairs then went to see Source Code. Lovely, in a nice intimate wee room and no big sprawling aircraft hanger full of noisy cunts, and no dearer than the other cinemas :up: Spoke to Colin who wrote the blog above who is hopeful of a deal being reached soon.

I went in today as part of my "Go to the belmont more often" promise. Had a nice quiet latte in the bar downstairs then went to see Source Code. Lovely, in a nice intimate wee room and no big sprawling aircraft hanger full of noisy cunts, and no dearer than the other cinemas :up: Spoke to Colin who wrote the blog above who is hopeful of a deal being reached soon.

Colin's a great chap. It'd be a huge shame to see him made redundant.

And all of the staff, I guess. Next up on the Obvious Hour...

Aye. Sounds like squeaky-bum time.

"Aberdeen City Council can confirm that Filmhouse is no longer involved in the tendering process. We are committed to ensuring that the Belmont Cinema continues to operate in the city and are exploring different options to secure the future running of the venue".

One of the worst sentences I've ever read.

I can understand the cinema employees frustration at being [possibly/potentially] made unemployed, but to convey this via silly Facebook status updates paints them in a bad light. Instead of wasting their time with that, they should be chapping on some office doors and asking for an explanation of certain decisions.

They are still a business and should operate as such.

Whining about the council as if it is one big meanie that everyone hates is nae cool.

Disagree with this. If I was facing the very real possibility that my place of work was going out of business, leaving me and my friends without a job, and there was a chance, no matter how small, that I could stop this happening by posting Facebook updates and raising public awareness of it online, you can bet your fuzzy ass I'd be doing exactly the same thing. I certainly wouldn't just sit in silence while some halfwit from the council decided my fate. More power to them I say.

I can understand the cinema employees frustration at being [possibly/potentially] made unemployed, but to convey this via silly Facebook status updates paints them in a bad light. Instead of wasting their time with that, they should be chapping on some office doors and asking for an explanation of certain decisions.

Phew, so it's not just me that thinks this way. I'm getting pretty put off by it.

Disagree with this. If I was facing the very real possibility that my place of work was going out of business, leaving me and my friends without a job, and there was a chance, no matter how small, that I could stop this happening by posting Facebook updates and raising public awareness of it online, you can bet your fuzzy ass I'd be doing exactly the same thing. I certainly wouldn't just sit in silence while some halfwit from the council decided my fate. More power to them I say.

Agreed.

It doesn't sound like the Council have been showing a whole lot of decorum, leaking details to the local rag before telling the people that work in the cinema what's happening. So fuck 'em.

You're quite right. But i'd do it under my own name not the one of the organization.

What are the chances that anyone from the council or whatever is going to look at the cinema's Facebook page and think "WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!?!"? Pretty slim I bet.

If they have grievances, then they should transmit this via their personal Facebook accounts as ca_gere mentioned. The council may not have operated with much decorum, but to lower oneself to that level is fairly playground.

• Upvote 1

Guest Cool Thinker

I personally think the screens in the cinema are too small so I use the multiplex's for new films. I really like there independent films though.

First thing I'd do would be sack the manager.

I hope they've got a better business plan than what they've done in the past otherwise it's just a waste of money again. I hope it's not just a case of "Oh shit, there's no-one else to run it, let's accept third rate and hope people come".