aberdeen-music

Stone Roses Reunion?

Bigsby

The "spirit of old" being the spirit of a band that is, and always has been, totally fucking crap? I despise this band, all off-shoots and solo projects related to the band, their lyrics, their music and the people. This is shitty, shitty news.

I liked The Stone Roses and still like Ian Brown but I won't go back to see him live because his already hap-hazard singing abilities are now just a complete joke.

For this reason alone, even leaving aside the elapsed time, etc, I think a Roses reunion is destined for bad feedback and to be a disaster. Live shows will be beset with problems, in-fighting will begin and it will fall apart. That's my prediction if it happens.

I still have no idea why it needs to go ahead as Brown is still a pretty big draw in his own capacity and Mani seems to be doing alright with Primal Scream. Squire is a cock who fucked up the band in the first place with his guitar-wank 'I'm an axe hero' fantasies. Having seen The Seahorses play and endless guitar solo at TitP one year this view was vindicated.

Bad idea.

Guest Gladstone

I loved the Stone Roses when I was a teenager. Haven't listened to anything for ages, but still hold them in high regard. Waterfall and I Am The Resurrection were played on the radio yesterday and it got me excited about the reunion. I'm excited to hear what the new stuff will sound like. I saw Ian Brown live once and he was garbage, but I'm still going to try to get along to a gig. I'm fully aware I could be disappointed to see them live, but I would have given a bollock to see them live when I was 15 (by that time they'd already split up), so I feel I owe it to my teenage self to at least try to get a ticket... I missed out on seeing Blur at T in the Park 2009 because I was getting fucking married that day. My wife will never be forgiven for that...

Guest Gladstone

They have to be contenders for the ugliest band in the world.

EDIT: Cobra Kai were definitely the ugliest band in the world, but they've just disbanded for the last time, so Stone Roses maybe take over the mantle.

On the whole, I dislike The Stones Roses but I can recognise that they have recorded a small handful of seriously brilliant and well crafted guitar pop songs.

They generally tend to attract the lowest common denominator, though, and I would hate to be present at any of their live concerts. I just find the notion of getting excited about a Stones Roses reunion a little bad sad and tragic. They had their time and influenced many people's lives; they should just leave it at that - they had their time. But hey, money talks very convincingly.

I await the Oasis reunion in ten years.

Well having thought about it am really excited about the Roses getting back together and new material coming. Fuck doubting if they can still cut it, been listening to their stuff and it's blown me away all over again. A very special band. Here's my full take on the matter....

http://delboy1969.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/the-third-coming/

Did anyone manage to get tickets?

I want to go see them but not too sure it's worth the journey down to Manchester. The Sun reported that they are going to headline T in the Park the week after these gigs and I hope they might do another gig up here.

Plenty of tickets on ebay with the price falling off a little already so if all else fails, that might come into play later.

I'm not sure the reunion is the best thing. Many of the fans are too young to actually remember them, or indeed how bad they were live. I think a lot of people will find their image might not match what they are going to see.

I've seen Squire play with The Seahorses and although the gig was pretty good, Squire himself came across as a plonker and he was too self-indulgent and clearly thought the night was all about him. The amount of guitar solos that did not even fit the song did become too much.

His solo album was alright from memory.

Will have to see them just to see for myself, that's if they are still together by the summer.

I reckon they might do a festival or two, shame Glastonbury is not on next year as certain they would have headlined. It'll probably all descend into chaos but fuck having listened back to their stuff and remembering how immense their presence was first time around, I still think they have the ability to kick ass in 2011/12 and maybe beyond. They're a unique one off. It'll be fantastic if they conquered the world again.

Really excited about the thought of the new album. Can the Roses pull of it off? Does it really matter, they reformed and gonna drive us into a frenzy again cos they're the Roses. They always kicked ass and in 2011 we need someone to kick ass....

Even the 'Garage Flowers' demos albums sounds amazing tonight!!!!