aberdeen-music

Stone Roses Reunion?

Bigsby

I like The Stone Roses, even 'The Second Coming' has some great tunes on it. I also love Ian Brown's solo work. I readily agree, however, that Ian Brown's singing ability has always been questionable, especially in a live setting (to the point I will not waste money going to see him again), and age will not have made this situation any better. A reunion now would just be tragic. It would probably earn a shitlot of dosh though. I can't see Ian Brown gaining anything from it to be honest, he does OK as a solo artist. Mani has done OK out of Primal Scream, not sure why he would want to backtrack. Ironically, John Squire's ego was allegedly much to do with them breaking up in the first place and he probably has most to gain from a reunion, endless guitar wankery was never going to last long. I remember watching The Seahorses at TITP one year, every single fucking song was like someone learning guitar practising an endless solo.

From the NME of all places, bizarre lapse in their usually high quality reports... ;)

Yeah but the difference is, they have a direct quote from one of the band members saying it won't happen :up:

I had the misfortune of seeing an Ian Brown "gig" once. My ears still haven't forgiven me.

That as it may be you can't dispute that he has a keen political mind and the rhymes to boot.

That just has to be the best anti war song ever written. Forget all your spokespeople of the 60s generation.

We used to get all the crowds coming into the Holiday Inn bar after gigs at the AECC when I worked there, in 3 years we never had any problems except the night Ian Brown played, never been in the company of such a bunch of utter cunts in my life. Fags stubbed out on the carpets, tables and sofas, holes kicked in the walls, bottles smashed everywhere, bar staff verbally abused all night, booze poured all over the place. Just utter wankers with no concept of behaving themselves in public.

Example of conversation: A bunch of said cunts had got fed up standing in the bar where there were no spare tables, so they walked up into the restaurant which was closed, in darkness and cordoned off so the waiting staff could set it up for the breakfast shift.

"Excuse me, sorry but you can't sit in the restaurant, it's closed and we're in the middle of setting the tables for breakfast..

"Fuck you, I'll sit where I like".

Charming.

That gig is the reason why now after you come out of a gig at the AECC, the Holiday Inn doors are locked and you can't get in unless you have a room key.

I absolutely love The Stone Roses, and a lot of Ian Brown's solo stuff, but I'd have zero interest in seeing them live, so I'm gladded Mani's quashed these latest rumours. Brown is beyond terrible live. I went along to see him at RockNess, fully aware of his reputation of being hit or miss to say the least live, but thinking I'd have a blast anyway. Nit. Genuinely painful to listen to.

I absolutely love The Stone Roses, and a lot of Ian Brown's solo stuff, but I'd have zero interest in seeing them live, so I'm gladded Mani's quashed these latest rumours. Brown is beyond terrible live. I went along to see him at RockNess, fully aware of his reputation of being hit or miss to say the least live, but thinking I'd have a blast anyway. Nit. Genuinely painful to listen to.

Agree with this. Some cracking records but it must take them years and hundreds of takes to get a usable vocal out of Brown.

I was so pissed off after the AECC gig that I went and smashed up the shitty Holiday Inn that they have there.

+1. I like the Roses a lot and got a few of Broon's solo stuff. Performing live is not one of the man's gifts though.

• 6 months later...