aberdeen-music

Foyer Music goes 24-track!

Guest Startex

can we have a listen then?

Nah, 'fraid not. It's four old songs, from when we'd only been together for a couple of months. We only play one/two of them these days. It's our old singer, and Beth, our drummer, isn't on it. If oyu want to hear us, come along to Kef on Sunday. Us, Ariel-X(Placebo-esque types), Born Solo and Panama. Doors 7pm, tickets 4.50. Maybe EP in the not too distant future. :rockon:

• 1 month later...
Quality is top notch' date=' but that's not for me to say as it's me who runs it! You need to ask people who've used it. You can block book at your will but i'm afraid I can't drop the price any further so no matter how much time you book it's still 14 per hour to record.[/quote']

I've used it for live recording and Multi track and its great. Even if you don't even have a clue what you are doing.

I too have heard murmurings of a compilation.

Maybe these murmurings have came from the same dark dark evil room like a confernce room with "the evil one" looking over us as we are lazy (no lies)...

Maybe these murmurings will be a reality If these FIBGERS get moving, eh Calum? ;)

Are the foyer looking for any trainee recording engineers? Although I have no hands on experience with the HD24 and Mackie 24:8, I have read the manuals inside out as I am currently planning on purchasing these items for my own studio, sometime when I have money, like ten years when I'm 32 and grey and even fatter....done a lot of recording from dodgy chained stereos when I was 10 to 8/16 tracks today, and am looking for a chance to get some hands on experience with serious gear. I know cubase SX pretty well too (although I think the best mixes stay on the board) Have you got the fireport for your HD24?

Just a thought. I work full time to keep a roof over my family's head so am not freely available but if there was like a Saturday or some evenings when you wouldn't mind someone hanging around...train me up well and I'll record bands for free at the weekend!

I'd guess its cost and flexibility...I'm after the HD24 myself. 24I/O 24b/48khz recording...how much would that cost to do on a PC! Plus you need a pretty beefy PC to do that, cost of software etc etc plus, how reliable are PC's? ;) The HD24 also uses a proprietary file format which was designed with the intention of recording music, unlike FAT which was designed to be a mess, or NTFS which was designed for security. This means less fragmenting of the drives as songs/tracks are grouped together. Also as its an ADAT machine, theres all the benefits of lightpiping with digital mixers etc. The HD24 also has a firewire adaptor available for the drives allowing you to transfer all 24 tracks of a song to a PC (in less time than traditional light piping) so you can edit in sound forge etc...then send back to the HD24. Its a good choice I think.....and I want a shot ;)

I'd guess its cost and flexibility... Its a good choice I think.....and I want a shot ;)

hehe.. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist jumping on this one...

I just don't like not being able to easily keep archives of past recordings - you either end up needing a stack of hard disks or having a comuter anyway.. at least with the old ADAT format the tapes were cheap..

It is a good choice, although what you save on the recording solution you then shell out on the outboard.

Hehe (did I mention I really want of these devices? ;))

Funny...the archiving thing is exactly why I want to move away from DAW based recording. But hey, what do IDE drives cost these day. I'm seeing new 7200rpm 120GB IDE drives on ebay for 40 bucks!! Thats over 600 minutes 24 track recording (10 hours ;)) A 45minute ADAT tape is about 5.50, that adds up to 71.50 for 600 minutes ;) (not to mention needing to own and sync 3 different machines :D)

I agree about the outboard costs...but come on...how sweet does it look! ;)

studioB-rackbay-02.jpg

Funny...the archiving thing is exactly why I want to move away from DAW based recording. But hey' date=' what do IDE drives cost these day. [/quote']

I know I just poicked up one of the new Seagate SATA 400Gb drives for 180.. crazy..

I agree about the outboard costs...but come on...how sweet does it look! ;)

sheesh... I never realised the Foyer had so much outboard :D

Is that a bunch of UADs on the far right ?