aberdeen-music

Confessions

ca_gere

Been vegetarian for four years. On. Sunday I ate some turkey. I thought it would be gross but it wasn't. So I had some chicken on Monday. Then I had pork chops on Tuesday. Tonight I'm having meatballs. Confession: I'm not a vegetarian any more. Back to the dark side with me. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 4

• 1 year later...

I couldn't give a flying fuck about Star Wars. I've watched the old ones a couple of times, the prequels once, and haven't bothered with the new ones at all. I just don't get the obsession, they're just films, and not even particularly good ones. And  I thought Phantom Menace was pretty good too. Jar Jar is annoying though. 

Im gonna hop on the I dont get SCI FI train too.. anything to do with space I just switch off,  Couldnt stay awake through Star Wars if you paid me. same goes for LOTR & the Hobbit movies.. any old timey period type stuff sends me into a coma too

BUT I love Game of Thrones?

I'm not into Star Wars either. First one I ever saw was actually Episode One. I liked the pod racing bits. They made awful noises. Then I watched the original 3 for the first time at Christmas, and realised the awful noises the pods made were nothing compared to the Tie Fighters. They sound like they've just stood on lego.

I don't get it. Who are you siding with? Every character is just so unlikable that I ended up not caring what happens, I just wanted to see wicked light saber fights, and there's not even that much of that.

None of them would be in my Sci Fi top 10. I'd even rather watch the shit Terminators (3 onwards) or that hilarious Robocop where he has a jetpack than any Star Wars.

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I'm not into Star Wars either. First one I ever saw was actually Episode One. I liked the pod racing bits. They made awful noises. Then I watched the original 3 for the first time at Christmas, and realised the awful noises the pods made were nothing compared to the Tie Fighters. They sound like they've just stood on lego.

I don't get it. Who are you siding with? Every character is just so unlikable that I ended up not caring what happens, I just wanted to see wicked light saber fights, and there's not even that much of that.

None of them would be in my Sci Fi top 10. I'd even rather watch the shit Terminators (3 onwards) or that hilarious Robocop where he has a jetpack than any Star Wars.

Robocop  3 was godawful. It should be deleted from history. For the lucky few who haven't seen it, Robocop goes underground to join a resistance movement and is controlled by a little girl with a laptop. Also Robocop can fly and there are ninja robots. 

I remember seeing 2 when I was like 12 and thinking it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen (probably because it had Robocop and some tits in it, two of my favourite things as a 12 year old) but I watched it again a few years ago and it's proper shite too. 

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

Robocop  3 was godawful. It should be deleted from history. For the lucky few who haven't seen it, Robocop goes underground to join a resistance movement and is controlled by a little girl with a laptop. Also Robocop can fly and there are ninja robots. 

I remember seeing 2 when I was like 12 and thinking it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen (probably because it had Robocop and some tits in it, two of my favourite things as a 12 year old) but I watched it again a few years ago and it's proper shite too. 

They're both dreadful. If I had a choice to put either of them on, or a Star Wars film, I'm putting on the dreadful Robocops. At least they're hilarious. I got zero enjoyment from Star Wars.

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

They're both dreadful. If I had a choice to put either of them on, or a Star Wars film, I'm putting on the dreadful Robocops. At least they're hilarious. I got zero enjoyment from Star Wars.

That little boy baddie. Straight out of Bugsy Malone. Did you see the remake? 

I’ve listened to the entire back catalog of Ricky Gervais podcasts and XFM shows maybe 10 times. There’s a guy who keeps uploading them to YouTube over and over and there seems to be an army of people who listen to them to get to sleep (per the comments. Like there are some comments that are literally ‘g’night lads’). It’s a bad habit (maybe?), but I need a bit of noise to get to sleep and i go through phases of what I listen to. Those pods I go back to again and again though. To this day I don’t think there’s anything funnier than peak pilkington.

related comedy confession: very few tv shows make me laugh anymore. I’ve pretty much stopped watching comedy. Not sure why.

58 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

I’ve listened to the entire back catalog of Ricky Gervais podcasts and XFM shows maybe 10 times. There’s a guy who keeps uploading them to YouTube over and over and there seems to be an army of people who listen to them to get to sleep (per the comments. Like there are some comments that are literally ‘g’night lads’). It’s a bad habit (maybe?), but I need a bit of noise to get to sleep and i go through phases of what I listen to. Those pods I go back to again and again though. To this day I don’t think there’s anything funnier than peak pilkington.

related comedy confession: very few tv shows make me laugh anymore. I’ve pretty much stopped watching comedy. Not sure why.

Do you know that show Impractical Jokers? That absolutely kills me. I think I've seen every episode. Agreed on the Gervais podcasts, they're absolute gold.

I don't get background noise for sleep. I can only sleep in complete silence. 

I sometimes have trouble separating dreams from reality. It's very troubling to dream about falling in love with Britta in Community then waking up and being genuinely depressed, to the point where I can't bear to watch Love. I know that that can be common, I've had enough partners go in a huff with me over something I did in a dream of theirs. But I also have memories that turn out, didn't happen. Must have been a dream from the same time period. I also recently got so in to day-dreams i forget they're day-dreams. I was thinking about what I would spend lottery winnings on, to the point where I was thinking about the best way to approach my teacher about designing a studio for me before I caught myself.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:21 AM, Jaaakkkeee said:

But I also have memories that turn out, didn't happen. Must have been a dream from the same time period.

(I am not a neuroscientist disclaimer but) that happens. Your brain, or memory certainly, can't actually tell the difference between dreams and reality (generally, though, you can deduce whether something was a dream - e.g. if you have a memory of someone you know suddenly growing fangs and claws and leaping on your throat, before waking up in bed - probably didn't happen... yes that's one of mine.)

The other thing is, though, the memories you have that didn't happen maybe/probably just didn't happen. Your memory is an unreliable source, basically. Though a clue (to how wrong your memory actually was), I'd hazard, is if something kind of like it did happen, but you got some (maybe obvious or crucial even) details wrong. Things (good or bad) that are  particularly memorable, I think, will change (i.e. the memories will) the more you think about them. This kind of thing is why, when reading about crime or disasters or whatever, eyewitness accounts conflict on details and people change their stories over time. Not always for deliberate or rational reasons. Watch (if you're feeling morbid) the 9/11 we-interrupt-this-broadcast news footage of the moments after the first tower was hit (this was 5+ years before smartphones would have been filming all around anyway; only 1 docu crew happened to catch it) with people disagreeing in real time about what they'd just seen. Completely false memories are possible, I think in a way similar to how people can be manipulated by hints, the way something is worded, etc., etc., although I dunno much about this.

/cool story. Acting on daydreams though... maybe doctor time?

Edited by scottyboy
  • Like 1

I just also read the Star Wars and the fantasy/sci-fi debates above.

Also just don't get the mania for Star Wars. I saw bits and pieces of the originals in the early 90s on my rich mate's (dad's) big TV, so got some idea of the scale of the forest hoverbike waterthefuck chases, and a sense of what it might've felt like to see that in a cinema in the, uh, 70s? I've since seen the original 3, the first 2 prequels; don't utterly dislike them; but don't get it. I saw the Battle of Hoth named as "no.1 sci-fi battle" on WatchMojo (I think) recently in addition to I think the Battle of Endor and (although I instantly thought opening scene of Terminator 2, even if too short; which nevertheless got in there, so kudos for that) I went and watched both and mostly just laughed. The ATAT walkers are just fucking stupid... the tactics Luke uses to take down 2 single handedly is why having a talk on stilts is just a terrible idea. The scenario (flat wasteland all around, can see anyone coming) is the one place where fielding these would be less than suicidal, with the raised turrets/cockpit being useful for firing down into enemy trenches (but then if one has aircraft, just use that). But they had the balls to then call it "all terrain". And when I watched the battle of Endor (the forest, Ewoks one, anyway), there are only two-legged walkers: reading the comments, I saw someone ask why there were no ATATs. The answer is of course is that these ("all terrain") vehicles can't operate in a forest... Star Wars pew-pew effects (while doubtless impressive when it came out) are just way to close to Sindbad the Sailor than to something believable today. My favourite sci-fi movies are both Terminator and Alien(s) ones (yes, there are only 2 of each respectively; don't watch or play anything past the first sequel - basic life skill), as the effects still almost entirely hold up, while it still feels legit and scary (a Terminator is scary, but you can kinda see/guess what it can and can't do, and thus is believable and thus scary). With yer current typical superhero blockbuster, guys in spandex are flying around throwing/punching each other through buildings, with the building collapsing (helps sell tickets. I guess) but the other guy just gets up. So it's ludicrous, and yes these aren't necessarily sci-fi, but it, in any case, leaves one just bored and waiting for the dues ex machina of the bad guys Achilles' Heel. With sci-fi, I (though hardly just I) think there's a spectrum of fantasy films in space (Star Wars falls closer to this) to "harder" sci-fi where you have a mix of existing technology and tech that is projected  or hypothesised and/or hasn't been disproved. And the everything in between.

Fantasy: Game of Thrones isn't Lord of the Rings, or anything like it. I loved LotR when I read it around 13-14, and loved the films as they subsequently came out. Right up until Frodo/Wood explains with joy: "the eagles are coming!". I watched a few clips recently and it was pretty naff (borderline embarrassing) at a time when everyone's seen GoT. (although tbf: Tolkien had day jobs as a pro linguist, invented his own languages, and then thought what the hell, write some stories to have people use those languages. He'd written The Hobbit, but he couldn't have known how massive the intended sequel - which would be LotR - would become, it terms of size, scope and influence. The invented languages I think/hope also are the reason for the weird dialogue). Anyway Game of Thrones:  better idea of what GoT is intended to be would (e.g.) be the novel Pillars of the Earth (I think that's the title). It's "historical", not fantasy, but is really about looking at England in the Middle Ages from all angles and perspectives (knights, tradesmen, merchants, farmers, aristocracy, clergy, etc.) This is mostly what GoT is about, except that the 2-continents fictional world allows juxtaposition of Middle Ages Europe (Westeros) and (in Essos) the Classical ad/or ancient (pre-Rome or maybe pre-Greco-Roman) Med (both would've been a match for each in the real world, despite the temporal distance: bloody Dark Ages and Christianity...). Martin, who wrote the novels, has said that he wanted magic to make it fantasy rather made-up history, but that he wanted it used only sparsely (in a nod to Gandalf, who can fight a demon to mutual destruction or remove curses from individual people; but if there's an army in front of him, he needs to be in an opposing army and sit on his horse like a regular person). But my beef with the magic in GoT is I tend to to see it as an excuse for deus ex machina, with exception of dragons and (with a few quibbles) the White Walkers: one can see that these are coherent in how they work, even if their motives are unknown. Other magic just seems to pop up to land a plot twist. Anyway, all that above I think is why people who don't like more trad fantasy nevertheless love GoT (I'm included in both those).

/unplanned wowfuck essay

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, scottyboy said:

Star Wars pew-pew effects (while doubtless impressive when it came out) are just way to close to Sindbad the Sailor than to something believable today. My favourite sci-fi movies are both Terminator and Alien(s) ones (yes, there are only 2 of each respectively; don't watch or play anything past the first sequel - basic life skill), as the effects still almost entirely hold up

The scene when Arnie is cutting out his eye in Terminator is as dated/unbelievable as anything in Star Wars*. I find that scene takes me out of the story more than any other moment in either film, including all the puppets in Star Wars. You could write a zillion page document on why Star Wars is arguably the greatest piece of cinema ever, or at least why it's the most popular - whether it's on the basis of characters, storyline, effects, score, groundbreaking-ness, quotability etc... however I fully appreciate that some people simply don't get it - usually those who didn't grow up with it, or who's parents didn't like it. 

* I say that as someone who's favourite movies are the first Star Wars trilogy, and the best imho 3 Arnie films (T1, Predator, T2). I'm not at all disagreeing with you that Alien(s) and Terminators 1&2 are absolutely superb films - effects in Alien especially holds up today in the way that Jurassic Park also does. Pisses all over the CGI laden films that started to dominate in the 2000s.  

7 hours ago, Dan G said:

The scene when Arnie is cutting out his eye in Terminator is as dated/unbelievable as anything in Star Wars*. I find that scene takes me out of the story more than any other moment in either film, including all the puppets in Star Wars. You could write a zillion page document on why Star Wars is arguably the greatest piece of cinema ever, or at least why it's the most popular - whether it's on the basis of characters, storyline, effects, score, groundbreaking-ness, quotability etc... however I fully appreciate that some people simply don't get it - usually those who didn't grow up with it, or who's parents didn't like it. 

* I say that as someone who's favourite movies are the first Star Wars trilogy, and the best imho 3 Arnie films (T1, Predator, T2). I'm not at all disagreeing with you that Alien(s) and Terminators 1&2 are absolutely superb films - effects in Alien especially holds up today in the way that Jurassic Park also does. Pisses all over the CGI laden films that started to dominate in the 2000s.  

Jurassic Park's CGI looks better than most CGI nowadays. 

19 hours ago, Dan G said:

I had to watch the scene again on youtube (think I covered my eyes all the previous times) and I gather it's the waxwork-like face, which is indeed pretty bad. But still, the shot of the scalpel. Then he's sticking it in his eye *cringe*. And then the close up of the swivelling red eye itself is great. I think I end up noticing his whole face for less than a second.

I actually think the monster puppets are the best effects (that I've bothered to go back and watch) of Star Wars. It's more large scale vehicular battles (especially but not exclusively involving aircraft and laser "blasters") that I think are pretty bad.

Also agree that Jurassic Park is still a great sci-fi film, and the effects along with it.

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, Teabags said:

Alien 3 is a great film. 

and I always wondered how they got the big fucking T-Rex in Jurassic Park to look so real. And found it it's because they built a fucking gigantic animatronic T Rex. OOOFT.

YES! I love this fact. They had someone inside it operating it, but if the rubber coating around the big steel t-rex frame had too much water absorbed THE THING MOVED BY ITSELF WHEN IT WASN'T MEANT TO. How shit scary would that be?