aberdeen-music

Confessions

ca_gere

I don't know what "All your base are belong to us" means, or what it is from.When I was a toddler, I covered my face in Oxtail soup, to be more like Winston from Ghostbusters. My racist mum didn't appreciate the gesture as much as I did. Nor did she like that I would say "Winston" when the odd passing stranger would ask "What's your name then?". Fucking loved Ghostbusters. Still do.

All Your Base Are Belong to Us | Know Your Meme

Basically a poor english translation form a video game which was used in a flash animation and took over the internet 10 years ago

Damn, beaten to it. The know your meme thing has loads of links to the animations etc

Also in Meme news today: With the official release of Portal 2. I'm surprised we haven't seen more 'the cake is a lie' references around.

The game was Zero Wing on Megadrive. I have it.

Confession: in my entire life, there's only ever been one film that I've liked so much that I've watched it from start to finish, then immediately put it back to the start and watched it all again. And it was the Powerpuff Girls movie. I was 23.

On a related note.. I have never understood why Australia is 12 hours ahead of us. Is there a reason why it's not 12 hours behind?

We are 12 hours behind them. Technically. Ok we're GMT and that. But we're still 12 hours behind if they're ahead really. Silly question wasn't it?

If you're in a race and someone's in front of you, you're automatically behind them eh.

:p

We are 12 hours behind them. Technically. Ok we're GMT and that. But we're still 12 hours behind if they're ahead really. Silly question wasn't it?

If you're in a race and someone's in front of you, you're automatically behind them eh.

:p

I think you missed the point..

They are on the other side of the world and there is a 12 hour time difference because of the way the world spins while rotating round the sun. But who decided that the day would start first there and then come round to us.. and not that it would start here and move round to them so that they were 12 hours behind.

Not really seeing the relevance of your race analogy..

I think you missed the point..

They are on the other side of the world and there is a 12 hour time difference because of the way the world spins while rotating round the sun. But who decided that the day would start first there and then come round to us.. and not that it would start here and move round to them so that they were 12 hours behind.

Not really seeing the relevance of your race analogy..

not mainly because us brits were once great and told everyone what the fuck to do?

The upside down thing is one of the reasons I don't want to go to Australia. That and the fact its full of simpletons who abbreviate everything*. I can just imagine me freaking out all of a sudden one day and fearing I'm gonna fall off the earth.

*joking. The abbreviating thing is annoying though.

not mainly because us brits were once great and told everyone what the fuck to do?

I thought, as I was writing my query, that it may come across as if I had some problem with the UK not starting the day first and like I was questioning who had allowed other countries to be hours ahead of us magnificent Brits..

But I'm not a complete fud. In all honesty.. it's one of those things that I've always wondered. Why does the day not start in America and then we'd be behind them rather than a few hours ahead?

Can anyone actually explain why it is like it is? Or am I looking way too much into this...

When people started being able to travel and communicate with other countries far away, it was decided that it might be best for everyone to be using the same time measurement. The measurement of time was therefore standardised at the place that was best at it - The Greenwich Observatory in London, and called Greenwich Mean Time. GMT.

But obviously if everywhere else on the planet used this time, they would be eating breakfast in the middle of the night or trying to sleep at the time of brightest sunshine. So they split the globe as far as possible into 24 segments so everyone could have their hour nearest to the relevant part of the day. The time ( as in minutes past the hour) was made the same, obviously.

So if GMT (i.e. in London) is taken as zero, it makes sense to make half the world to the east of there (east because of the direction of rotation) as being ahead of zero, and the half to the west of zero as being behind. That way nowhere in the world is more than 12 hours away from GMT either way. If we made everyone to the west of zero run behind zero hour (or midnight if you will), then by the time you get round to 2300 hrs you would have our nearest neighbours in Europe being almost a whole day out. Much confusion.

When people started being able to travel and communicate with other countries far away, it was decided that it might be best for everyone to be using the same time measurement. The measurement of time was therefore standardised at the place that was best at it - The Greenwich Observatory in London, and called Greenwich Mean Time. GMT.

But obviously if everywhere else on the planet used this time, they would be eating breakfast in the middle of the night or trying to sleep at the time of brightest sunshine. So they split the globe as far as possible into 24 segments so everyone could have their hour nearest to the relevant part of the day. The time ( as in minutes past the hour) was made the same, obviously.

So if GMT (i.e. in London) is taken as zero, it makes sense to make half the world to the east of there (east because of the direction of rotation) as being ahead of zero, and the half to the west of zero as being behind. That way nowhere in the world is more than 12 hours away from GMT either way. If we made everyone to the west of zero run behind zero hour (or midnight if you will), then by the time you get round to 2300 hrs you would have our nearest neighbours in Europe being almost a whole day out. Much confusion.

Thanks for that.. all makes sense now.

Then China came along and said 'Fuck that we'll decide what time it is in our country'

And also Venezuela, the only country in the world that runs at a half hour difference to the rest of the world. EG if it's 40 past the hour in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, it's 10 past in Venezuela, awkward fuckers.