aberdeen-music

The Tennis Thread

Woodsinho

Welcome to the tennis thread.

I know that "The Andy Murray Rising Tennis Star" thread exists but I'd rather have a place to discuss non Andy Murray related tennis haps because there's more to the game than one Scotsman.

That Novak Djokovic is on a bit of a roll. Unbeaten so far in 2011 having won 3 tournaments in the process. I saw his matches against Federer and Nadal at Indian Wells over the weekend and the lad is playing some classy stuff. The final was especially good with Nadal looking at his supreme best in the first set only to end up looking like he'd seen a ghost by the end of the match when Djokovic had destroyed him in the 3rd.

The question is - can he carry this form into the clay court season or do you think Nadal will have too much for him on his favoured surface?

• 2 months later...

Great comeback win for Murray. I still give him no chance in the tournament but all this experience is good. So far he hasn't had to fight back to form. If he can stay in amongst the top 4 whilst not at his best then he's already a better player than many who have risen and fallen before him. I still think he has at least one slam in him.

I know that "The Andy Murray Rising Tennis Star" thread exists but I'd rather have a place to discuss non Andy Murray related tennis haps because there's more to the game than one Scotsman.

...and the first reply...

Great comeback win for Murray. I still give him no chance in the tournament but all this experience is good. So far he hasn't had to fight back to form. If he can stay in amongst the top 4 whilst not at his best then he's already a better player than many who have risen and fallen before him. I still think he has at least one slam in him.

Major league lol.

Turns out I was overly optimistic about the aberdeen music hunger for tennis. That's ok.

He has been mighty impressive in toughing it out in the 3rd round after the initial ankle knack and getting out of the Troicki match after being 2 sets and a break down. Well done that guy.

Djokovic has continued being ridiculously good in the last 2 months. He's blown away everyone who's stood in his path beating Nadal in the finals of both the Rome and Madrid Masters tournaments. The only time I've seen him in trouble all year was in the Rome semi-final when Murray was within 2 points of beating him but even under that pressure he was pulling out some stupidly good shots to save himself.

Turns out I was overly optimistic about the aberdeen music hunger for tennis. That's ok.

He has been mighty impressive in toughing it out in the 3rd round after the initial ankle knack and getting out of the Troicki match after being 2 sets and a break down. Well done that guy.

Djokovic has continued being ridiculously good in the last 2 months. He's blown away everyone who's stood in his path beating Nadal in the finals of both the Rome and Madrid Masters tournaments. The only time I've seen him in trouble all year was in the Rome semi-final when Murray was within 2 points of beating him but even under that pressure he was pulling out some stupidly good shots to save himself.

I missed this thread first time round. I love tennis.

I've got the tennis channel now too so no more shitty streams and bbc text updates. yas.

Djokovic is looking ustoppable at the moment. Really didn't think he had it in him a few years back when he was feigning injuries and concentrating more on doing impressions of everyone. Nadal vs Djokovic final seems likely. Should be a good un too as they have a bit of a rivalry. It's a tennis rivalry so it's not really nasty but you get the impression they don't like each other that much.

Roland Garros is probably my least favorite slam. The crowd are awful. Monfils should move to another country where he's appreciated. They cheer for him only if he's not playing federer or nadal. It'll be interesting to see if he beats federer and plays djokovic because I reckon they'll cheer for the new star of tennis instead of someone from their own country. Shit tennis fans. They boo when they get bored and athing.

I'd love to see a stat on the number of times federer has taken games to deuce when he's up to 4 games and gone on to win the set. if it's 4-4 or 4-3, opponent to serve he just always puts the guy on the ropes and runs away with the set.

Everyone talks about federer's technique but his match play (or whatever you want to call it... tactics maybe?) is the best in the world. Nadal and the other top guys outplay their opponents, federer picks and chooses his moments so well he doesn't need to

I thought the andy murray thread was really a general tennis thread anyway.

Although I do know people like things on topic here.

Don't know if I mentioned it before but I saw some live tennis for the first time a few weeks ago. Semi finals of the Barcelona open. I got to see Nadal who won his match comfortably. Sadly Murray had pulled out through injury. I saw the Bryan bros in the doubles too.

managed to watch a bit of the nadal v soderling match yesterday. Strange match because on the surface nadal romped it but soderling was right there with him the whole way and didn't play badly. didn't play particularly well either but its a good sign for murray that nadal isnt looking invincible.

I think murray is right, you've gotta be patient to beat nadal. you can't just go for big shots early in rallies because nadal will chase them down and hit heavy raspers right back at you. It's all about waiting till nadal hits a loose one and taking your chance. Murray is probably the best defensive player out there too.

Tough to call the other semi. I think djokovic might just pip it going on current form, but r-fed is r-fed so who knows. Should be a great match whatever happens.

Guest Gladstone
Fed somehow actually seems to be a little under the radar in this one. Which probably suits him. Ending Joke's run would be a good way to remind everyone he's still here to win.

Murray does have a chance, Nadal's not at his best but he's just so damn at home in Roland Garros that he must be favourite.

I haven't seen any of the tournament at all, but Nadal must be favourite to win the tournament let alone the semi against Murray because it's Nadal and it's the French Open.

Sounds as if Murray's hit form at a good time though so he's definitely in with a chance. Great to see that in a season where Murray's form has been criticised he's got to his first semi-final at Roland Garros. Hasn't he only dropped 2 sets along the way too?

I wish I could be off work to watch the semi final tomorrow (presume it's during the day?)

EDIT: If Murray beats Nadal, who do you think he'd rather face in the final? He has the beating of Federer and knows how to play him, but the couple of times he's faced him in a grand slam final, Federer has pissed all over him. Djokovic is in the form of his life, and his game probably cancels Murray's out more so than Federer's if that makes sense. Big powerful hitters seem to give Murray more problems than any other type of player and Djokovic is the best big powerful hitter out there. Interesting one. I think I'd give Murray more of a chance against Nadal and Federer at the moment than Djokovic.

Guest Gladstone

Looks like a damn good tennis match is going on just now. Breaking each other's serve for fun.

First set Nadal was running away with it but Murray pegged him back, just about got the second break back to 5-5, but Nadal snuck it for 6-4. And it's 2 breaks each in the second set. GAME ON.

Yeah, he's giving nadal a good go. I managed to watch the first set and was impressed with his resilience. A win here would be a massive boost for his career, even if he goes on to lose the final. Djokovic has managed to step up a notch and Murray has got to be feeling it's now or never if he wants to keep up the pace.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah, he's giving nadal a good go. I managed to watch the first set and was impressed with his resilience. A win here would be a massive boost for his career, even if he goes on to lose the final. Djokovic has managed to step up a notch and Murray has got to be feeling it's now or never if he wants to keep up the pace.

Unfortunately Nadal has just turned it up a notch. 2-0 up in sets and a break up in the third. He's looked fucking brilliant in the last 5 or 6 games. If Murray is to somehow win this it will the best comeback of his career...

Guest Gladstone

Fuck. That turned into a bit of a hiding on paper. Murray pushed him really hard in the first two sets, but looked out of it in the third. He played well, and it's big progress on previous showings at Roland Garros, but Nadal was fucking good today. Fucking good.

It's going to be some final, regardless of who goes through. I kind of hope it's Djokovic.

EDIT: It's pretty weird seeing Federer with a little (3) after his name.

I was working during the Murray-Nadal match, shame he lost but still it's his best performance at RG. I think he can be confident going into Wimbledon.

Watching the Fed-Joke match now. It looked to all be going fed's way but joke looks like he might get this 3rd set.

I'm definitely going for fed to win today and the final.

Missed the Murray game today, was he outclassed?

He was outplayed by Nadal, but not really outclassed. The big difference was break points. Nadal converted 6/13 from what I remember whereas Murray only got 3/18. If Murray converted his chances, he could easily have sneaked a couple of the sets. However, Nadal played the break points better and that was the big difference.

cheers for that, shame about Murray he's becoming a bit too much like Tim Henman for my liking, obviously has the talent but just can't compete with the big guns when it matters.

I really rate Murray as a player and I know he has it in him to trouble the likes of Nadal when it matters but he just cannot find that extra that's needed to win those crucial break points when it matters.

I still think Murray will win a grand slam or two. It's obviously very tough, the top 3 players above him are playing at an incredible standard but he can beat them on his day. The French Open is always going to be his most unlikely to win but he's so competitive at the other big 3 that I can't see him not winning at least one in the next few years.