aberdeen-music

Good/Rubbish/Favourite Comedians and Why ?

TelecasterSam

I like Bill Hicks, but really because I like how angry he gets about shit that he finds unjust or stuff that pisses him off. You get the impression that he was genuinely trying to make a difference in the world and get a message out there, rather than just telling tired jokes for a paycheck. But in terms of LOLS, he isn't really that funny....

Folks I like

Jack Dee - had all his stand up shows on VHS, loved him, he's not that funny nowadays though;

Rich Hall / Otis Lee Crenshaw;

Brendon Burns - his "I Suppose This Is Offensive Now" DVD is one of the funniest comedy DVDs I've ever watched;

Jimmy Carr;

Chris Rock;

Lucy Porter; She's so nice, I just want to give her a hug;

Kevin Bridges;

Michael McIntyre - found him really annoying to begin with but he's grown on me;

Ricky Gervais;

Russell Howard;

Russell Brand - though his scripted stuff on Ponderland when he has to squeeze it all into 23 minutes is much funnier than his full stand up show where it takes him ages to get to the joke because he's too busy talking about himself;

Lee Mack.

Folks I dislike

Peter Kay - here's his entire routine. "Remember Soda Stream? WHAT WERE ALL THAT ABOUT????!! Remember Bullseye? WHAT WERE ALL THAT ABOUT????!! Remember <enter the name of anything else from the 80s>? WHAT WERE ALL THAT ABOUT???? Oh no me biscuit's fallen in me tea!!;

Jo Brand - I HATE MEN I LIKE CAKES was funny for 10 minutes, it's been 15 fucking years love, fuck off please;

Omid Djalili - EVERYBODY KNOWS YOU AREN'T IRANIAN YOU CUNT, JUST STOP IT, it's amazing that on that car insurance advert he does with Jedward, Jedward aren't my least favourite people on it;

Jenny Eclair - I HATE MEN I LIKE CAKES volume 2. Calling her a comedian is taking liberties a bit.

I loved Bernie Mac. His first Def Comedy Jam appearance is my all-time favourite stand up slot and it's only about 6 mins long. Also a big fan of Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious shows. Billy Connelly is gold when he's rambling through stories. Danny Bhoy is great when he's on form but can be grim otherwise (although I suspect most comedians are the same).

Not a Bill Hicks fan. I agreed with the person who disliked his delivery. Content has worth but it was him as a personality that I didn't really like.

There are so many comedians out there and yet I'm struggling to think of any more that really stand out right now. But I'd say Bernie Mac is probably my all-time favourite, maybe tied with vintage Billy Connelly.

I also enjoy Izzard. He's very light hearted, but he also knows fuckloads about fuckloads, which makes his stand up quite unique compared to just jokes about life.

My least favourite comedians of recent times are the two Carrs. The gay one and the shit one. The gay one is also shit too. Don't care for Russel Brand either. or that young blonde haired one from Mock the Week. He just shouts, and it's not good Will Ferrell shouting. It's wacky shouting.

Find the 'suck a bag of dicks' one!

xx

that was also enjoyable!

on a sidenote, going to see Jason Manford on the 1st April (so long as im not still stuck offshore). Since i actually bought the tickets he has become a bit diluted, seems to be everywhere but i think his standup is still going to be shit hot.

Saw Russell Kane when he played Lemon Tree at the end of January also and he was excellent, so was the support but im damned if i can remember his name now....think it might have been Mark Nelson but thats a guess.

Wow...... Looks like I started a good thread here !

Some great comedians have been mentioned, that I like quite a bit too, but I didn't mention.

Good to see such a lot of diversity in everybodys opinions......quite a variation :up:

One guy that does give me a good laugh (although he's not stand-up, more of a musical comedian) is the C&W comedian Jeff Foxworthy !..... anyone like him too ?

Watched Russell Howard last night. His good news program is good because of all the youtube / news clips. But all he does is shout in between them all. His stand up is better than his tv stuff.

I've watched some of his stand up on YouTube to see if I'm missing anything and I must say I've heard funnier things from regular people that I know that aren't even that funny. If I met him in a pub and he started on with one of his observational humour skits I'd be thinking "you think you're a fucking comedian but you're not funny because none of your observations are in any way original. Yes, I have actually noticed that it's terrible when you laugh at inappropriate times and I also have examples from my own personal experience that I could share with you. But I'm not going to because it's fucking boring and people talk about it all the time. You're just an annoying dick who thinks he's funny because people are too polite just to tell you to shut the fuck up and so they laugh politely at your attempted wit". Whilst thinking all that I would probably do a fake little laugh at the appropriate times just to be pleasant.

It's all about delivery too and he ain't got it.

Cunt.

Most comedians leave me unamused.....the idea of going to a comedy club fills me with dread. I think I get this from my dad who was only ever known to really laugh at 2 comedians....Tommy Cooper and Eric Sykes. I can admire the likes of Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks etc, but more for their style than through being reduced to laughter.

I suppose the Goons might scrape ino my 'acceptable' list. Or maybe Max Miller, Stanley Unwin or Max Wall.

Very unamused by Lee Evans!!!!

Smart and really funny humour makes me go "hm, that was good". I rarely 'LOL' at comedians. Mostly funny pictures of videos. I don't know why. My gf will turn to me and go "you don't like this, why aren't you laughing?" and I'm like, "no, I really enjoy it, I just don't laugh at it".