aberdeen-music

Good/Rubbish/Favourite Comedians and Why ?

TelecasterSam

Just a little thread to gauge peoples tastes in comedians/humour......

Just my opinion btw......

Good : Morecombe & Wise

The Two Ronnie's

Riki Fulton

There are many others.....

Favourites : The Big Yin

Lee Evans

Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Brown)

there are others.....

Rubbish : Michael F*cking McIntyre

Stephen K(ill yourself) Amos

(both about as funny as dropping your cigarettes in a puddle......)

there are others.....

discus .....?

I agree with Skacel - there is not much to beat Bill Hicks.

This routine about Elvis dying is something else.

http://www.kyleesplin.com/billhicks.mp3

I liked the late Lenny Bruce too and saw him ages and ages ago at the Establishment Club in London. Bill Hicks was a worthy successor.

Thanks to Shaki actually getting the tickets well in advance I am also looking forward to Doug Stanhope at the Lemon Tree on April 7th. I like him too as he takes a similar attitude to Bill Hicks and Lenny. It should be a good night and I see it is totally sold out.

I saw Simon Munnery at the Lemon Tree last night and thought he was very good. He was on TV years ago and I didn't think he was very funny then but he's a really clever and quirky stand up. One of those people who makes you see the world a bit differently.

Stewart Lee is very good. I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Herring up here in May too.

Favourites:

Dylan Moran

Jimmy Carr

Frankie Boyle

Kevin Bridges

Good:

Bill Bailey

Dara O'Briain

Billy Connolly - he used to be fantastic but he repeats a hell of a lot of jokes now.

Shite:

Russell Howard - He'll get a little "heh" at most from me, he's just ugly and annoying.

Andy Parsons - I have NEVER laughed at ANY of his jokes, he is just utter shite!

Doug Stanhope, Joe Rogan, Louis CK.

Beardyman, though he either is or isn't technically a comedian. Don't know which.

Bill Hicks, even though it gets old because he didn't.

ooh, and Billy Connolly, event hough he's regressed into shouting 'fuck' a lot and maybe isn't that funny.

Shite: Daniel Kitson. Sarah Silverman, Rhona Cameron, Zach Galifinakis. Never understood the appeal.

meh: Bill Hicks, Ross Noble, Emo Phillips, Richard Herring (he'll only ever be an ok comedian no mattter how much stuff he does)

Good: David O'docherty, Miles Jupp, Tim Key, Russel Peters, Doug Stanhope, Jimmy Carr (don't care what anyone says, he's a great performer), Stephen Wright, Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstock

Ace: Dave Chappelle, Dave Gorman (Not technically standup but I think he's brilliant), Stewart Lee, Russel Kane (really surprised by how good he is),

A good comedian to me is someone who has his audience exactly where he wants them at all times. Even if they are having a 'bad' set and making mistakes, a good comedian will make you forget. Never going for the obvious joke is something I like too. There are few things in this world that are worse than witnessing a comedian bomb with weak as fuck material.

oh and this is a good excuse to post this, seeing as someone mentioned joe rogan: YouTube - Joe Rogan vs Carlos Mencia ONSTAGE VIDEO

Great : An at-his-peak Billy Connolly, Mike Harding

Good : Bill Bailey, Fred McAuley

Shite : Michael McIntyre, Cannon & Ball, Little and Large, Stan Boardman and any of the "Eh Missus!" brigade.

Underrated : Les Dawson, Robin Williams

Overrated : Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Peter Kay (though he does have his moments). And after Tramadol Nights and that shite AECC performance, I hate to say it, Frankie Boyle, Sarah Silverman

A lot of folks seem to like Bill Hicks - I have respect for his work, but his delivery grates on me. He's certainly one of the most socially aware comics.

Good: Louis CK, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Lewis Black, Jason Rouse (doesn't tell jokes as much as attempts to 'shock' the viewer but he does genuinely make me laugh - worth a look for the sick cunts), Jim Jeffries, Mitch Hedburg, Stephen Lynch, Tim Minchin (technically musician/comedians but I fucking love them) and a few others who were mentioned previously.

Bad: Stephen K Amos, Andy Parsons, Chubby Brown, That other racist guy... can't remember his name.. did some TV hosting and shit after his standup career died, Dennis Leary (thieving cunt) and again a few others who have been mentioned previously

Meh: Peter Kay (like him when I'm in the mood for his style, but that's not often), Lee Evans (same boat as Peter Kay, plus he's fucking hard work to watch), Robin Williams (hard work to watch IMO), Frankie Boyle (used to love him but now he just says 'cancer' until people laugh...)

xx

I once saw Jason Rouse after getting him confused with Rob Rouse. As I found out that day - they are very different comedians. It turns out I like them both though so it was ok.

Comedians (of both the stand up and not stand up types) I like very much:

Jon Richardson

Alun Cochrane

Stewart Lee

Tom O' Connor - he's a proper comedian on cruises; that's where the money is.

Harry Hill

Dave Gorman

Armando Ianucci

Reeves and Mortimer

Limmy

I'll think of more later.

Frankie Boyle (used to love him but now he just says 'cancer' until people laugh...)

That's exactly my view on him, too - seems that he's spotted that he gets shitloads of media attention when people complain, so he's now the comedic equivalent of pressing all the buttons until something blows up.

Good : Tony Hancock

Eddie Izzard (might move into favourite at his peak)

Riki Fulton

Paul Merton

Graeme Garden

Tim Brooke Taylor

Barry Cryer

Richard Herring

Stewart Lee

Henning Wehn

Jeremy Hardy

Punt and Dennis

David Mitchell

Jerry Sadowitz

Mitch Benn

Favourites : Billy Connolly

Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre

Andy Hamilton

Bill Bailey

Dave Gorman - but not his standup funnily enough

Dara O'Briain

Rubbish : Michael McIntyre

Russell Howard

Top 5 in order:

Louis CK

Mitch Hedberg

George Carlin

Bill Hicks

Doug Stanhope

All yanks! Other than Mitch I suppose you'd stick them all in the same genre which probably indicates my sense of humor (dycwidt?). Australian Steve Hughes is also worth a watch.

I like Michael McIntyre but I never watch these panel shows he is on so that is just based on how much his stand up makes me laugh. The current crop of UK comedians, as in the ones you see on Live at the Apollo and these shows, are pretty poor in my opinion and it is a mystery to me that some of them even exist as entertainers. I've never seen a female stand up that I've enjoyed.