aberdeen-music

'shire venues

Jim Stax

Guest idol_wild
Where do/can young bands gig outside of Aberdeen but within Aberdeenshire.

Although not dedicated venues as such, I do recall Gladstone posting about an Underkills gig at a town hall...was it New Deer? I can't quite recall. I had always flirted with the idea of putting on a show at the Jubilee Hall in Portlethen.

The Loft near Forres may count, but it may be deemed a little far off.

I'm sure there's a functioning music venue in Peterhead, too. I could have sword I saw Indian Red Lopez post about a gig they had there - I think it was called Mambos? That name may be inaccurate.

There's loads of pubs put covers bands on but not sure if they'd let young original bands in on the act. Especially if we're talking about bands under 18.

Having said that I think the larger communities will have community venues that can be hired which might be suitable for a gig. Stonehaven Town Hall for example.

Mambos in Peterhead, yeah.

They do a lot of cover bands but they do put on original lineups too. They have (or had, when I last played there which admittedly was a while back) absolutely no backline so you need all your own gear to play. Worth getting in touch with though as the place tends to fill up when there are bands on, usually a pretty good crown (surprisingly).

xx

Although not dedicated venues as such, I do recall Gladstone posting about an Underkills gig at a town hall...was it New Deer? I can't quite recall. I had always flirted with the idea of putting on a show at the Jubilee Hall in Portlethen.

The Loft near Forres may count, but it may be deemed a little far off.

I'm sure there's a functioning music venue in Peterhead, too. I could have sword I saw Indian Red Lopez post about a gig they had there - I think it was called Mambos? That name may be inaccurate.

It was indeed New Deer. Lots of fun it was too. Also played a gig at the Broch Leisure Centre. Also fun.

village sunsets village sunsets | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

has used collieston hall, newburgh hall and udny arms hotel. these small venue's in villages are some of the best gigs i've been to when packed, everyone up dancing type of thing. but numbers vary radically from packed out to not! depending on who fell out with who and if a load of 'outsiders' come!! so not doing many now.

village sunsets is about bringing music to the doorsteps of folk in north aberdeenshire.

grass roots.

unfortunately we've not used enough local acts as a lot come from spots at festivals etc and global world roots (so lots of american and african type thing) to get folk up dancing.

but paddy rasta, aka ska, the lorelei and gerry jablonski were ace!

Cheers Abbidde, so far...

The research is for the Strategic Music Partnership a new initiative supported by both councils and Creative Scotland to look at facilities, provisions, support and delivery of all things music related for 0-25 year olds. A significant area of work revolves around the contemporary sector and will be looking at recording, rehearsing and performing facilites amongst other things.

Just a heads up :)

All info is greatly appreciated and will be very useful as things develop.

Jim