aberdeen-music

The Darkness re-form....

Lemonade

... for Download at least, but maybe they'll stick around a bit longer. Thoughts? I know a lot of people think there should be a special place in hell reserved exculsively for The Darkness, but I always kinda liked them, it was just fun, daft music that I enjoyed listening to, and I truly applauded the stand they took against the NME. I blame a lot of the hatred they get in music circles from that feud actually, because NME just tore strips off them every week after JH called it a fucking shit rag and refused them any interviews.

The Darkness re-form for Download festival | Music | guardian.co.uk

The+Darkness.jpg

One of my main problems was the drummer. There was nothing really wrong with him, i just hated everything about him. I thought "Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman" was ok before they "made it" but i otherwise thought they were fucking awful.... and that drummer... :down:

I first saw them on Jools Holland, tuned in just at the end in time to catch them closing the show with "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" with Hawkins playing the solo standing on top of Jools' piano in one of his spandex catsuits. Waited feverishly for the album to come out, it came into Virgin (where I worked) on the Thursday prior to it's Monday release, and I played it in the shop and through in the storeroom pretty much constantly for 4 days, by the time it came out and I could actually take a copy home I already knew most of the words :laughing:

Second album wasn't great right enough. In fact I don't even seem to have it on my iPod anymore.

Horrible stain on musical history. I thought they were a joke band in the vain of GWAR or those other bastards in costumes that won eurovision. Then someone told me "no, they're a serious band" - I was all "omg, roflol, gtfo"

They have song titles like "One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back!" and "Love On The Rocks With No Ice". Delibaretly nonsensical. And a song about genital warts. They are really really not a serious band....

Horrible stain on musical history. I thought they were a joke band in the vain of GWAR or those other bastards in costumes that won eurovision. Then someone told me "no, they're a serious band" - I was all "omg, roflol, gtfo"

How about that "Slayer" bunch though, eh?

I remember seeing an interview with Hawkins and the interviewer said something to the effect of "wasn't it all just a bit of fun?" and his reply was to the effect of "no, I took the darkness 100% seriously and people thinking it was a joke nearly killed me". I couldn't detect even the slightest trace of irony in his tone, infact he looked like he was about to start crying.

Caught them opening T in the Park one year just as they were on the verge of 'breaking out' and thought they were fucking hilarious.

xx

Quite a big fan of The Darkness - good, fun music. I even liked the second album! I remember my parents took me out of school for an afternoon so we could go on a roadtrip to see them live in Glasgow: Justin Hawkins made his appearance by flying over the crowd in a huge pair of tits with flashing nipples. 'Twas Hilarious.

And as for the re-forming, I say good on them. Stone Gods were OK, and Hot Leg were barmy (perhaps a bit like The Darkness on steroids), but you can't beat the original. According to their new website, they're working on a new album. Wonder what it'll sound like...?

I hated them, saw them as support to Def Leppard and really didnt like them, I think the problem may have been that everyone else took them as a joke within the band and Justin didn't apart from his strangled falsetto that never sounded particularly good, i didnt see what made them popular.

I did love the artwork for the second album - bit biased as it was done by someone I know, and the artwork he did for Justin's solo album that was never released is also brilliant, but I can't find a copy of it online.

I hated them, saw them as support to Def Leppard and really didnt like them, I think the problem may have been that everyone else took them as a joke within the band and Justin didn't apart from his strangled falsetto that never sounded particularly good, i didnt see what made them popular.

^ Seals it for me then, this obviously means they must be fucking brilliant.

Although I don't quite understand why they would reform, but not take the opportunity to get a drummer who can actually fucking play the drums.

When I was in first year at Uni (01-02), my schoolmate lived in halls just along the road from me with a guy and they got talking about music. The dude was like "my brother's band have just recorded a demo, want to hear it" so my boy brought over a 3-track CDR and stuck it on our stereo. The flatmate was step brother of Frankie, the bassist and the demo was the 'Love is only a feeling' EP which contained three songs, those versions of which ended up on the first album - the title track, love on the rocks and thing called love. We were all absolutely blown away and it got played into the ground. My mate bought a copy of the EP and a few years later, before they played the SECC, they did a signing at Virgin on Buchanan St and he took along the EP. They were all well impressed and he sold the signed EP for about 150 on eBay.

Their first album is full of great riffs and plenty of fun. They went off the boil eventually and they were a band who definitely had a shelf life, but I thought they were well worth a listen.

Aye, fucking calm down you boring bastards. "Disgrace to music"- bit OTT.

Harmless enough, fun music and, as someone else said, easily ignored if you don't like it. Few good songs as well- really liked Growing On Me and a coupla tracks off the first album.

The Download line-up is getting worse with each announcement, I can definitely say I will not be watching The Darkness when they're on stage (I'll try to make sure I'm out of earshot but that's going to be difficult). I despise them and have never understood the hype surrounding the band.

The early singles were OK, harmless fluff and at least had a decent tune, I think the longevity was lacking though.

I'd rather listen to them than stuff like The View, The Fratellis and all these other dull as fuck lad rock bands.

Download has Clutch, Danzig and The Cult so that's 1 more band than TITP that I'm interested in seeing. I may yet sell my TITP tickets to go to metal stinkdom for the 1st time, probably better than enduring the T-nedfest.