aberdeen-music

Last night at Drakes...

kirkt

anyone got any feedback on the final gig for The No Pints? I feel it's the best we've ever played in Aberdeen but then I always think we sound better when I've been drinking (cept in Hull and in Tayport). I quite enjoyed Point of Origins set to be honest. I always think their good at what they do but never been my kind of thing. I know me and Bob's opinions on punk differ very much but i spose that shouldnt get in the way...when they used to play "bring on the sluts" i didnt like em cos i really did hate that song. I think the new bassist was a good addition. Failsafe...they asked me for a gig ages ago and i said no and now their signed to Deck Cheese lol. I reviewed em in my fanzine and i stick by that their a really tight band who mix emo and ska really well together. It's good stuff and they were really cool guys, not what id normally listen to. overall a good night methinks.

Guest prerogative

No Pints were pretty good me thought, as 'twas first time witnessing and last, how clique. At times I was thinking Vaukers/Antinowhere League then at other times i was thinking Cockney Rejects minus the soho accent, then at others was going off in a nice direction, nice little breif slammer tunes, wasn't that impressed with Mr Guitar on vocals, or maybe that's the wrong word, didn't think it was best suited? I dunno, but y'know what I mean, the let go stuff was a lot better than the more slower tunes, thought guitar and drums could've been a little more stimulating on the brain but still done that job which was cool, and Mr guitars and Mr Drums didn't seem like matching the performance of Mr Bass guitar, which coulda made it an all around rockin' gig. Rock.

All in all, good tunes, and did notice a good recovery by the drummer when one of his sticks went flying.

Point? Dunno weather it was Drakes sound system or just PoO, but all the stuff sounded far too alike to distinquish(sp?) is apart, there was one song that strayed away, then went straight back to same sound the next song, but i, to be blunt, aint a fan of PoO or that sorts they play, so was enevitable i was going to slate, just a tad, plus that shabby start/guitar not tuned satisfactory. then i had to go and see someone. were the last band any good then?

The No Pints - To be honest, not my cup of tea at all. Can't say I'm devistated that you guys are splitting up. The few times I did see you, I thought all performances were pretty sloppy with quite a few mistakes. If you say last night was the best you've played as a band then fair enough but I wasn't left gaggin for more at the end of the set. Just a bit boring, perhaps another guitarist or a vocalist would have been better. You do however have catchy tunes - Fuck The Kids Who Are In It For The Money and Tarran-Tarran-Tarran-Tarran-Tarrant Off TV. Good luck for the future, I say keep at the gig organising Kirk!

Point of Origin - OMFG. Proof what what can be done in a space of six months. I hadn't seen them live since the January gig with Flight 19, when I thought their set was a bit poo, so to speak. Last night was a pretty huge difference, and I loved it all! The more heavy, crunchy parts are awesome and fit in beautifully. The vocals are coming along great too - really impressive from everyone. About A Girl is possibly my favourite PoO song and it was played with so much energy, that made me smile! So a huge thumbs up for PoO, and I look forward to the Caffeine gig!

Failsafe - All I'd heard about them was that they were ska-core, so I thought I'd check them out. Thank the Lord I did. Pretty mintal. Each song was played with 110% energy, so catchy and funky. I'm not the biggest fan of token screaming but they were an exception. Where on Earth they got all that energy from I'll never know. The EP is pretty good too, great for getting ready in the morning, jah! I got tired just watching them. Pity they played after last-bus time as a lot of people had left... gay. I'll be going back to see them when they return with Through Silence!

Guest stuartmaxwell
The No Pints - To be honest' date=' not my cup of tea at all. Can't say I'm devistated that you guys are splitting up. The few times I did see you, I thought all performances were pretty sloppy with quite a few mistakes. If you say last night was the best you've played as a band then fair enough but I wasn't left gaggin for more at the end of the set. Just a bit boring, perhaps another guitarist or a vocalist would have been better. I say keep at the gig organising Kirk!

[/size']

oof!amy has turned into a supa biatch :p

never seen the no pints, mind you, i quite like it when a band is still fine tuning, where they have some great dynamics but are a bit sloppy

but then other times i hate it

Hey a big thanks to everyone who came last night that was a great effort.

Its a shame the no pints are calling it a day, we've played with them a few times now and they were clearly improving each time. I enjoyed their last set last night, they may not be up to everyones taste but then who is. Good luck guys with whatever you three are going to be up to musically i hope to be giging with yous in the near future.

As for Failsafe, well what do you need to say except fucking hell!! Those guys rock and had so much energy in their music and their act! Hope to see them again soon.

failsafe were fucking amaaaaaaaazing! man they were just EXACTLY my cup of tea, im so glad i went to this gig. PoO were also fucking awesome, they rock my world, oh yes they do!! um, the no pints, not really my thing, bit shoddy but hey nevermind! good night all round

I'll tone it down for my next band-bashing moment!

Apologies if the band find this rude. :popcorn:

its cool. everyone to their own. I know we were far from brilliant and there is a lot of ways that we could be better as a band overall...one of these being that in the last few months, we stopped practising cos basically we couldnt afford too. I wouldnt say its the best we've played, i know we played better in Goole, Leeds and many a time in the practise room but for an Aberdeen performance I was content with our performance. Like I said I had a drink so things always sound better then.

I thoroughly enjoyed the no pints last gig...but then I am their number one fan. At least I used to be...I'm gonna go cry now. Um, no, seriously, thought they played brilliantly! Best gig I've seen them do and Kirk had so much energy! Hehe, t'was a good night I think, had a fun time.

PoO, Ive seen them play better. That's all I have to say. Oh, but they didn't play the good sing-along type song which I was pissed off about-it's the only one I know.

Failsafe-Loved them! Bought their CD cus I thought they were ace...they also had loads of energy and talent!

I thoroughly enjoyed the no pints last gig...but then I am their number one fan. At least I used to be...I'm gonna go cry now. Um' date=' no, seriously, thought they played brilliantly! Best gig I've seen them do and Kirk had so much energy! Hehe, t'was a good night I think, had a fun time.

PoO, Ive seen them play better. That's all I have to say. Oh, but they didn't play the good sing-along type song which I was pissed off about-it's the only one I know.

Failsafe-Loved them! Bought their CD cus I thought they were ace...they also had loads of energy and talent![/quote']

alex, id have given you the cd i got sent ages ago by them if you said...which is exactly the same as the one you bought. cheers for the kind words me ol'mucker!

alex' date=' id have given you the cd i got sent ages ago by them if you said...which is exactly the same as the one you bought. cheers for the kind words me ol'mucker![/quote']

I always have a kind word or two to say about you guys!!

Can't believe I paid 3 for a CD that you could've given me...Actually to be honest I haven't even listened to it yet so it's kinda stupid buying it! I guess I bought it to contribute a little money to their funds. Every band needs some money to live off, and they had no-where to stay either! Aww, bless!

Ooh' date=' that's clever, you're good!!! Yeh, must suck having to play that all the time. We were like that with 'you suck', but then we drew the line cus it was pissing us off so much![/quote']

How about writing a protest song to express how pissed off you are? You could send out a completely different message by using the EXACT OPPOSITE title. That way, 'You Suck' would become 'We Blow'.

Good idea?