aberdeen-music

AGP: MAYBESHEWILL + You Slut! + TheWETFLEX + Good Police - 3 May @ Cafe Drummond

AGP presents

MAYBESHEWILL

plus support

Tue 3 May 2011

Cafe Drummond

8pm

14+ show

Tickets 6 from One Up, Belmont St - AGP ABERDEEN — Home and Welcome to TicketWeb!

-------------

Maybeshewill are a DIY Instrumental band based in Leicester. Their name is a string of pleasant sounding syllables with no intrinsic meaning. They just like the way it sounds.

Five years ago they recorded a four-track EP in their spare bedroom called Japanese Spy Transcript, which they pressed up on their own label and sold at shows. It found its way on to the internet, and started cropping up on blogs and forums around the world. A couple of months later it was picked up by Field records in the UK and Xtal records in Japan.

A year later they self-recorded and released their first full-length LP Not For Want Of Trying, which received widespread critical acclaim. RockSound, Drowned In Sound and Kerrang loved it and Huw Stephens made it his album of the week on Radio 1. Their second full-length arrived just 11 months later, and received a similarly ecstatic reception.

Since then toured as far afield as Japan, Russia and Europe and spent more time in vans around the UK than is probably good for their health. Theyve played Truck Festival, 2000trees, Summer Sundae, Dot To Dot, Brainwash and Off The Cuff and supported everyone from A Silver Mt. Zion and 65daysofstatic to Foals and Johnny Truant.

Theyre currently putting the finishing touches to their third LP for release in the Spring

Here is the video for their new single, 'Critical Distance':

"All of this is incredibly easy on the ear, positioning Maybeshewill as a poppy alternative to post-rock bands that make you work your bollocks off just to be rewarded with a single nugget of prettiness or meaty riffage. Weve all been there; weve all been impatient. Here, everythings laid out for easy access and instant enjoyment, and youll be constantly coming back for more. This full-length introduction to what Maybeshewill can do signals the arrival of a compelling, fascinating talent."

- Drowned In Sound (8/10)

"Most bands couldn't juggle the collective noise of Mogwai and Glassjaw without exploding... These songs are extremely quick to kick your teeth in when you least expect it"

- Kerrang (KKKK)

"Mercurial and introspective in mood and devastating in emotional intensity"

- RockSound (8/10)

• 5 weeks later...

This show was so awesome. The line up was tight as hell. The support bands properly suited the headliner which for a band like Maybeshewill, totally made the whole evening that bit better.

I'm properly in love with TheWetflex. They just seem to be improving with every show.

One of the next gigs TheWetflex will be playing is one of the shows I'm putting on with Talons. If you enjoyed this show then Talons are right down your street. Check out their Facebook page if you like. Linkage can be found in this post!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/64637-talons-%40-cafe-drummonds-7th-june.html

You Slut! were good, damn good. It is crazy just how tight they were, I'm looking forward to listening to their album.

I'm interested to hear more of Good Police, as I thought that there was something missing whilst watching them. Turns out that they had some technical difficulties and played as a two piece, minus samples and stuff.

I'm interested to hear more of Good Police, as I thought that there was something missing whilst watching them. Turns out that they had some technical difficulties and played as a two piece, minus samples and stuff.

Agreed - I'd like to hear them at the top of their game as they had some interesting ideas.

First time I'd ever seen The Wetflex and thought they were wonderfully, amazingly bonkers - brilliant fun, talented musicians and they put on a show. Can't wait to catch them live again.

And of course You Slut! and Maybeshewill were bloody fantastic, as was to be expected.

Brilliant gig Ross, keep 'em coming! Yay post-rock!

I'd echo what's been said about Good Police. I thought they were decent, but would like to see them again on a night when they're not plagued by techincal difficulties and with the full line-up. Had a listen to the CD they were handing out this morning though and it's actually really quite good, I particularly liked the second track. :up:

I didn't enjoy The WetFlex I'm afraid. I guess I'm getting old though, and anything that can be construed as "wacky" or "bonkers", coupled with stage banter about humorous "frapes" is just going to really irritate me. They reminded me a bit of The Automatic, who just aren't my thing at all. I was impressed by the drummer, but just couldn't get into the rest of it, sorry! Plenty of other people seemed to enjoy them though, so they must be doing something right.

You Slut! were just mindblowingly incredible. I thought they were good on record but live they are just something else. I was amazed at how well the time changes were executed, absolutely spot on every time, and the tone from the Musicmaster was just utterly immense. Bloody excellent set. Get them back again please!

After all the initial excitement, I was gutted to have to miss this. Stupidly double booked myself and thought this gig was tonight rather than yesterday. I blame bank holidays. It'll be a long wait to see YS! as they barely play gigs as it is.

Were they selling the new record last night?

After all the initial excitement, I was gutted to have to miss this. Stupidly double booked myself and thought this gig was tonight rather than yesterday. I blame bank holidays. It'll be a long wait to see YS! as they barely play gigs as it is.

Were they selling the new record last night?

It was Critical Meat only as far as YS! records go.