aberdeen-music

T-Break 2011

Moose

Guest idol_wild
I was approaching this more in terms of bands that manage themselves. What's your band if you don't mind me asking? You seem to have your support network pretty sorted, which as we all know is the first rule of getting anywhere with anything. Not sure if I was one of your network I'd be mad keen on being accused of falseness though.

I'd actually suggest that we don't have much of a support network to be honest. To the extent that we have DIY tattooed on our foreheads, it seems.

I do agree with your points in this thread, though. The central belt is largely concerned with itself, as are the two primary cities. But it could always be argued that most towns, cities, and regions in the UK are pretty similar.

Don't get me wrong, we are still friendly with quite a number of other bands and musicians and we collaborate, perform, write, and release with these acts, but in terms of tour booking and press, we have a minute network to work with - especially in the UK. We're just extremely fortunate that BBC picked up on us last year; I reckon that's what led to more opportunities opening up in 2010.

our band played it last year, and really enjoyed it. We didnt have the best of sets to be honest, and would be far more prepared now but the whole thing about playing "T in the Park" too is pretty cool. Well in my eyes.

didn't do much for us in all honesty but looks pretty good on your C.V. whilst trying to get gigs etc.

and after being at around 10 T in the Parks before i was delighted to get in free for once!

Don't get me wrong, we are still friendly with quite a number of other bands and musicians and we collaborate, perform, write, and release with these acts

Sounds pretty much like a network to me. :)

but in terms of tour booking and press, we have a minute network to work with - especially in the UK.

Definitely. With hunners of people clambering behind you wanting a chomp on the teat.Hence most bands just get ignored.

Guest idol_wild
Sounds pretty much like a network to me. :)

I don't call that a network, though. I just call that making music with friends. To me, a network consists largely of people who don't actually play music themselves: promoters, DJs, venues, booking agents, press agents, management, tour management, publishing support. Basically, the infrastructure behind any moderately successful act.

Being friends with other bands and releasing and playing the odd show with them is not a network, in my eyes. It's just the same as pals playing Zbox (or whatever the fuck kids play computer games on), in a room, with like-minded friends, drinking beer, and indulging each other's terrible sense of humour.

But instead of Zbox, we play music. Because music makes us gush at the clunge.

But instead of Zbox, we play music. Because music makes us gush at the clunge.

filthy.

We'll agree to disagree on what defines a network - I'm looking from the broader perspective, so that includes friendship networks and the like. So I don't really buy into your compartmentalising friends/collaberators etc. away from that. But then thats the cynical old sociologist in me.