aberdeen-music

T-Break 2011

Moose

Once bands are submitted, how is it decided? Public vote/judging panel/rock paper scissors tournament?

I believe it is largely predetermined before people enter, but there are always wild cards. I don't know how true this is, but that's what all the old, jaded musicians tell me. Its just something I've always really wanted to do for some reason.

I believe it is largely predetermined before people enter, but there are always wild cards. I don't know how true this is, but that's what all the old, jaded musicians tell me. Its just something I've always really wanted to do for some reason.

Yes, that's about right. Still, if you don't stick your name down, you'll never know I suppose.

Guest idol_wild

Always worth entering if you fancy giving it a bash.

In my estimation, it's not entirely predetermined, but acts tend to be selected very much on the basis of their "credentials". By this, I mean ability to pull a central belt audience, airings on BBC radio (national preferred), positive press from The Skinny or The Scotsman, and the willingness to suck whoever's appendage is necessary.

In my estimation, it's not entirely predetermined, but acts tend to be selected very much on the basis of their "credentials". By this, I mean ability to pull a central belt audience, airings on BBC radio (national preferred), positive press from The Skinny or The Scotsman, and the willingness to suck whoever's appendage is necessary.

In other words, time to move to Hamilton...

I always thought something similar to this. I'm sure there are bands who have a good reputation and are already well known to the judges and on this basis have a far better chance of playing T-Break. However, if your songs are good enough then you'll be difficult to ignore.

Guest idol_wild
I always thought something similar to this. I'm sure there are bands who have a good reputation and are already well known to the judges and on this basis have a far better chance of playing T-Break. However, if your songs are good enough then you'll be difficult to ignore.

There is very strong evidence to suggest that songwriting ability and originality are two of the last things the "judges" look for. Just look at the bands who made the cut over the past five years or so. And being geographically out on a limb, building even a modest fan-base in the central belt is very difficult and expensive for Aberdeen-based acts, unless you have a ton of friends down there already.

But good luck to all that applied. Hope you rip the judges a new hoop, and really make them take notice of you.

There is very strong evidence to suggest that songwriting ability and originality are two of the last things the "judges" look for. Just look at the bands who made the cut over the past five years or so. And being geographically out on a limb, building even a modest fan-base in the central belt is very difficult and expensive for Aberdeen-based acts, unless you have a ton of friends down there already.

But good luck to all that applied. Hope you rip the judges a new hoop, and really make them take notice of you.

Me too, T in the Park needs a bit of Marionettes.

building even a modest fan-base in the central belt is very difficult and expensive for Aberdeen-based acts.

And even being in the Central Belt doesn't make building a fan base any easier - you may find it hard to comprehend just how awash it is with bands down here, all chasing the same thing.

If you really want to get somewhere, it's really about networking and cultivating relationships with the people that matter, however unpalatable that sounds.

None of the bands that have come out of Scotland in the last decade I can think of got anywhere without doing that. Possibly Twilight Sad, but pretty sure there's a back story there too.

Guest idol_wild
And even being in the Central Belt doesn't make building a fan base any easier - you may find it hard to comprehend just how awash it is with bands down here, all chasing the same thing.

If you really want to get somewhere, it's really about networking and cultivating relationships with the people that matter, however unpalatable that sounds.

None of the bands that have come out of Scotland in the last decade I can think of got anywhere without doing that. Possibly Twilight Sad, but pretty sure there's a back story there too.

I live in the central belt, so comprehending that isn't difficult. In fact, I'm acutely aware of it. The band I'm in don't do any of the cultivating of relationships or any of that nonsense, because it ultimately leads to falseness. We were invited to play T in the Park last year, and we didn't even enter, and nor do we know the individuals involved in inviting us.

It's DF you need to get on board with; DF have a huge say in T Break, as far as I'm aware. There were a lot of DF staff at the stage we played last year, anyway, and the DF staff seemed to be very friendly and familiar with most of the bands playing that stage. It was not a surprise to know that the majority of Scottish acts performing were Glasgow-based.

It's just the way these things work, I guess. :down:

What's the best story of success that's come from anyone playing the T-Break stage? I used to pop in back in the day when I was a TITP regular and bands I knew (Nero, etc) were playing, but the place was always empty and I've never heard of any success off the back of it. We used to apply annually but once I'd been and checked it out I stopped bothering because it seemed like a bit of a waste of time, exept for getting free tickets!

The BBC did a programme following one of the bands who made it a few years back (Stylus Automatic) and they were never heard from again as far as I could tell!

Guest idol_wild
What's the best story of success that's come from anyone playing the T-Break stage? I used to pop in back in the day when I was a TITP regular and bands I knew (Nero, etc) were playing, but the place was always empty and I've never heard of any success off the back of it. We used to apply annually but once I'd been and checked it out I stopped bothering because it seemed like a bit of a waste of time, exept for getting free tickets!

The BBC did a programme following one of the bands who made it a few years back (Stylus Automatic) and they were never heard from again as far as I could tell!

In 2009, The Phantom Band were the 'very special guests' and have gone on to find a level of success which at least allows them to continue punching their weight and sustaining themselves as an original, creative band.

We were the 'very special guests' in 2010, and, well, we're a bit of a broken band. I think it's fair to say we will not reach the level of success The Phantom Band have enjoyed. Not that I feel that's anything to do with our appearance at T in the Park in any way, of course.

Aside from that, I have taken very little interest in T Break and/or T in the Park. If bands are seeking an opportunity to play a major festival, then T Break is a great outlet and platform for them, to at least dream of the opportunity. However, if a band/artist wants to use it as a stepping stone, I think other outlets need to be sourced and considered.

But aye, in general, the T Break tent tends to be sparsely populated, unless the artist in question already has a following or groups of pals at the festival.

Personally, I would never ever apply for T Break, but if bands or artists have aspirations of playing a major music festival, I think applying and giving it a bash is fucking great.

Guest idol_wild
How would one go about 'getting in' with them anyway? Plough King Tut's with demos until you land a gig, wow them and make friends?

I have no idea, really. Most of the bands they tend to work with are Glasgow or centrally-based.

Just send them a nice email with information about your band, your music, and links to free music.

I live in the central belt, so comprehending that isn't difficult. In fact, I'm acutely aware of it. The band I'm in don't do any of the cultivating of relationships or any of that nonsense, because it ultimately leads to falseness. We were invited to play T in the Park last year, and we didn't even enter, and nor do we know the individuals involved in inviting us.

I was approaching this more in terms of bands that manage themselves. What's your band if you don't mind me asking? You seem to have your support network pretty sorted, which as we all know is the first rule of getting anywhere with anything. Not sure if I was one of your network I'd be mad keen on being accused of falseness though.