aberdeen-music

Whats the best make of drum kit?

Beth

Guest Scorge Spike

My opinions as follows.....

Pacific would be my kit of choice, and I hope to obtain ownership of a high range CX reasonably soon. They're bulletproof make wise, sound good, and play very nicely both in confined rehersal space and in live gig environment. Not the easiest to customise, granted, but worth it. Most folk would go for the DW (ie. the big brother), but I don't enjoy them as much. They cost more, too. Another high recommendation would be Yamaha - sound good, don't cost much, and great for customisation purposes.

Apologies to all Tama fans, but you can suck my balls. They may be well built, but they sound utterly obscene (don't get me started on their sodding snares) and top end kits are over-refined. Also too expensive for what you get.

A Ludwig is a great first kit - don't sound the best, but they're solid enough. Pearl kits are also good value, but again I don't like the feel of them. Don't like Sonors, Premiers are alright, not all that keen on Mapex (except maybe some of the snares), haven't really bothered with anything else.

My first kit was ludwig. i quite like the sounds of sonor, premier and DW kits. not too keen on pearl and i agree with you about tama.

everyone that gigs reguarly seems to have DW kits.

i still can't decide which is best for me, any more comments wud be gr8, thanks

Can you not also use different parts of different kits.

A Tama Kick drum always sounds good.

Although I`d always go for a tight snare sound to back it up.

And nice China Crashes..

Although the whole thing depends on what sound you are looking for and what type of band you play in.

My first and only kit is a Premier, they are hard waring and so good practice kits. My only beef with my kits are the symbols (hi-hat inclusive) as they are very tin sounding and not a great sound, the snare is also below standard BUT santa has been kind to me and so i have a Zlidjian crash and looking to upgrade me snare, hi hat and ride. For a first kit though, you cant go wrong with premier, relatively cheap and as i say the last :) the toms are awesome aswell as the foot drum. i cant comment on the guys who hate tama's having not played a tama set but pearl are very VERY nice from what i have seen. just my opinion mind you

I thought DW (drum workshop) drumkits were meant to be the shit no?

ooh yes. Serious professional stuff, they are lovely, but very pricey. Pacific are the budget version basically but are still very nice, although the hardware is not quite so good. The latest Premier kits are pretty rubbish actually, just not made very well. Tama are very good, but have a very particualr sound which doesn't suit all tastes, definitely a rock kit, not too versatile. Not sure about Sonors, never really grabbed my attention for some reason. Can't really go wrong with a Pearl, but they're a bit bland and generic for me somehow. The one I'd go for just now if I could would be a DW ideally, or more realistically the Yamaha 9000 which is fantastic.

Go speak to the guys in Prosound, Mike, Nick and Neil are all drummers, and won't give you any bull, to make sure you get the best you can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ooh, I forgot about this thread...

The reason Premier kits are now rubbish is because they moved all the production to China to save money and quality has gone right down. Some of the original Premier guys then left the company and started up their own company making good quality stuff for great prices. The hardware is called Big Dog and is amazing quality for the price, really sturdy, and they've just started making snare drums called Tom Cat and they sound great. Got a really nifty snare mechanism too. Apparently in a month or two they will be producing whole kits which could well be fantastic. Watch out for them.

Prosound also just got in a lovely lovely Yamaha Stage Custom kit which they're knocking out for about 600. Really good kit.

Guest Scorge Spike

Prosound also just got in a lovely lovely Yamaha Stage Custom kit which they're knocking out for about 600. Really good kit.

*is tempted, but still holding out for Pacific*

I think I'll be in this week for a cymbal or two anyroad. Hrmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Totally pointless argument really. No such thing as the 'best' drumkit. Everyone wants a different sound, and most of the top of the range kits sound nothing like each other.

I play a DW Collectors Maple, which I love. But that's largely cos these are very thin-shelled, resonant beasts which is the sound I'm after. If you take any permutation of birch/mahogany/beech kit with thin/thick shells, with die-cast/triple-flanged hoops, or with coated/double-ply/single-ply heads you'll get a totally different sound.

One of the most awesome kits I've heard recently is a Gretsch Blackhawk, and that costs about 400.....equally I've heard shite sounding kits that cost 3000....go figure

Neil