aberdeen-music

Glasvegas - Music Hall, April 23rd

french_disko

• 2 months later...

I saw them up in Forres in Jan - while James Allan has clearly let the showbiz side of things go to his head - dressed in white, ditching his guitar for a ridiculous mike etc - I still think they're well worth seeing live. Prefer them in small venues, but the Music Hall should be fine. Looking forward to it...

I must say the gig was very strange.

Only having lived in Aberdeen for s short space of time it was my first gig at the music hall. Quite a good venue.

As for Glasvegas I can't be so positive.

James looked off his face from the beginning.

One of the most awkward moments I've seen at a gig came a few songs in during it's my own cheating heart where James stopped singing to let the crowd take over.

There was just silence and he stood and waited and nothing came. It really was awkward.

I thought nearly all the new songs were lost on the crowd including me. Fair enough they are new songs but they just did not come across well for me.

We all left thinking the gig was poor.

Very surprised to see so much standing space free and people unable to sell 2 tickets for 20. I guess some people knew better.

Completely agree with Lethal10, I've listened to the new album a few times and it has it's moments but was met with absoloutely no reaction from the crowd but they insisted on playing pretty much all new songs. No interaction from the band either and everyone looked bored, as the set went on, I could hear more and more people talking especially on quieter moments even on songs like Flowers and Football Tops. I can't believe they even came back on for an encore, no one even clapped for them. I still can't decide if they were really bad or the crowd was really bad, I think it was a bit of both.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

guess there was only so much mileage they could get out of jacking jesus & mary chain's steez for 2 albums' worth of average guitar pop

edit...christ, this is only their 2nd

I bought the first album when it came out as it was cheap in Asda. I hadn't heard them at that point but wanted to see what the hype was about. I'm still wondering. It was pish. The JAMC comparison is what came to my mind, except a really bad attempt to do what the JAMC did 20 years ago. Even the worst JAMC song ever is better than Glasvegas by some way.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
There was nearly a serious scrap in the Toilets because somebody thought James Allen was miming. Not a scrap with me I should point out although I definitely wasn't taking that guys side.

Pretty much sums up the kind of retards that listen to this lowest-common-denominator shit.

Surely the 'eyy, lets pretend to be working class'-indie fad is so dead that it's rotting and smelling really awful by now?

I'm just looking through their gash song titles about football tops and getting stabbed. I would have a lot more respect for them if they didn't drag this phoney act out along with the tunes.

This obession with being a small time local lad who just drinks lager in his local working-man's club and loves fighting. Very sad, horribly dated. Fucking parachute pants are fresher and more original...right Hammer?