aberdeen-music

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Paranoid Android

Gave it a couple of listens now. Found the first half to be typically Radiohead in terms of the rhythms. The second half of the album is absolutely stunning, very atmospheric and lots of reverb. Overall the highlights for me are Lotus Flower, Codex and Give Up The Ghost.

Phil Selway and Colin Greenwood really have become influential in the band's overall sound. The drumming in particular is very distinctive across the last few albums now.

I'm loving this song.

I'm hoping they play a few gigs soon, doubt there will be any full tours but some shows would be good. A bit of speculation online of a follow up - Radiohead to release 'The King Of Limbs' follow-up soon? | News | NME.COM. Think the theories are clutching at straws but wouldn't put it passed them to have something else up their sleeves.

Think the theories are mostly bull-shit. Lazy journalism on NME's part (surprise) just reading the main rh message boards to get a story, I post on one of them and the stuff people are coming out with is ridiculous. I think there's a fairly good chance of some more material in some way fairly soon i.e not another 4 year wait. However I don't buy any talk that only the first half of the album has been released and we still have to wait to get the other half.

Trigger what's your opinion of King of Limbs?

Sorry if you've already said in this thread and I just missed it / have forgotten.

I enjoyed it at first but it has really grown on me so loving it now. I kind of feel it is in two halves with the frantic rhythms they've been using a lot recently in the first half (I reckon These Are My Twisted Words would have fitted in seamlessly) and then the second half much more chilled and atmospheric. The last four songs are just stunning in my opinion and I'd like to hear a full album of similar tracks.

With regards to extra releases I'd imagine it will be more along the lines of one offs or an EP.

Yeah I think so, HTTT had the com lag EP which followed shortly after. In Rainbows has the bonus disc which came with it.

I think an EP is likely. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed they keep working on the other songs an get another album out within in the year. The fact they don't appear to be going out on tour any time soon does give a hint they are going to work on something. Or they might just take some time off and sit at home. Who knows.

Downloaded it yesterday and apart from Separator have not been impressed at all. Still only listened to it a couple of times so it might grow but first impressions are self-indulgent and pompous. What they do is usually interesting.

I know I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for daring to suggest it might be a bit on the pish side but opinions remain like arseholes - everyone has one. As I say it might grow on me, Radiohead stuff sometimes does but so far have found it tedious to listen to. About to give it another spin.

I hate radiohead. They've made some good, iconic music over the years but I've never once thought 'I'd really like to stick on some radiohead'. I was dragged along to see them years ago and thought it was ok, nothing special. I preferred Asian dub foundation as support.

That said, I think this and the last album are Fucking ace. The interesting rhythms are something that really strikes the right note with me. They'd never be as widely loved if they made music like this back in the day but its a nice progression from the early stuff and for a band as huge as them, its nice they are still showing a lot of innovation. Lovin this album.

I hate radiohead. They've made some good, iconic music over the years but I've never once thought 'I'd really like to stick on some radiohead'. I was dragged along to see them years ago and thought it was ok, nothing special. I preferred Asian dub foundation as support.

That said, I think this and the last album are Fucking ace. The interesting rhythms are something that really strikes the right note with me. They'd never be as widely loved if they made music like this back in the day but its a nice progression from the early stuff and for a band as huge as them, its nice they are still showing a lot of innovation. Lovin this album.

I was at that gig too, you're right they were just ok that night. However the 3 other times I've seen them they were incredible. Their Glasgow gig in 2008(?) was amazing.

Oh and Asian Dub Foundation were awesome. I hadn't heard them before but I've been a big fan ever since.

Ca_gere do you not like Kid A?

It's unquestionably a great album, its just never been one I'd listen to over and over. I find/found their music slightly boring. It's the reverence towards them I hate more than the music I think. They've been appropriated by the American middle class as a byword for anything vaguely 'alt' or intellectual and when I think of a radiohead fan I just think of the nerdy guy from high fidelity.

These last two albums have completely turned me around though. I get why everyone jizzes all over them.

It's the reverence towards them I hate more than the music I think. They've been appropriated by the American middle class as a byword for anything vaguely 'alt' or intellectual and when I think of a radiohead fan I just think of the nerdy guy from high fidelity.

Without wanting to get too far off topic, this is the reason I don't like Nine Inch Nails or anything "heavy metal". It's the fans that come with the band that put me off.

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoyed it at first but it has really grown on me so loving it now. I kind of feel it is in two halves with the frantic rhythms they've been using a lot recently in the first half (I reckon These Are My Twisted Words would have fitted in seamlessly) and then the second half much more chilled and atmospheric. The last four songs are just stunning in my opinion

Spot on. Codex and the last song really doing it for me. And I don't consider myself that big a fan of Radiohead.