aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Yeah, it's a belter. Bronson's always a fun listen: his personality and charisma really carry the music. If you've not checked-out his Vice food series "Fuck, That's Delicious" on YouTube, you really should.

"Easy Rider" is potential song of the year material for me. Ride that goddamn Harley into the sunset. 

• 2 weeks later...

this is good.

Will check out his album when it comes out for sure.

I love everyone involved with this song. Bamz's mixtape "Strictly 4 My P.A.P.I.Z" is definitely worth a listen, but the songs I've heard from his forthcoming album are a definite cut above.

I'm mostly excited for the L'Orange/Jeremiah Jae collab album that comes out in a couple of weeks at the moment:-

I cannot quote or give you rep for some reason, Mr. Gere, but you have my props.

It's been a quiet-ish month so far. Red Pill's "Look What This World Did to Us" was a great release: relatable grown man raps over chopped soul production, which is pretty much "my thing," if I have a thing. The new Tyler the Creator albums was pretty horrid, IMO, and Yelawolf served-up another disappointment. L'Orange/Jeremiah Jae is out on Monday though, and I've heard that the new Oh No/Alchemist GTA album is fire. Plus, new Raekwon on the 27th! Rejoice!

Today I learned that Black Thought is working on a solo album. Buzzing for that. The dude would be in a lot of "greatest of all-time" lists if he wasn't part of such a talented, acclaimed band. Murders every verse, and my only disappointment with the last few Roots records has been his relative lack of presence.

I've listened to those Villain Park tracks on repeat since yesterday. Absolutely lovin it.

I've started listening to a lot of the new releases lately. Yelawolf is on my list, dipped into Tyler (who has never been my cup of tea really aside from a few tracks).

You'll be happy to know that KL album is growing on me. Have given it a few more listens. King Kunta is still the best track for me though.

• 1 month later...

Since Thursday I've been in London for a ridiculous series of hip-hop gigs.

Wu-Tang on Thursday. Fun. I've seen them before and the sound at the Brixton Academy was dodgy, but they're full of energy and played a top setlist. No RZA, which I can live with, but no Raeburn either.

Nas performing Illmatic at the Roundhouse on Friday. Really incredible. Like, goosebump-inducing. As far as I'm concerned, that is THE hip-hop album, and he performed it flawlessly in a great venue to a top crowd. So fucking good. He really commands a stage and looked generally overcome by the reaction he received at times.

After Illmatic he played like 10 tracks from his other records. One Mic was absolutely beautiful and got me right in the feels. Made You Look is insane live, too. His DJ (Green Lantern) got busy as well, splicing extended sample cuts in and out of the mix mid-song.

Just a brilliant night. The only blight was the support act: TIM WESTWOOD. 2hr DJ set. Guy's like a toddler who got too many new toys for Christmas and wants to play with them all at once. He played like 30 seconds of each track, tops. Like, he played Shook Ones II as part as the piano sample, then switched record. No verse for you.

Don't even get me started with his chat, man. "You know what my problem is? I love bad bitches, and I love to fuck." Tim, mate: you're a 57-year-old bishop's son. Go home, you've had too much Pimms.

Then last night I saw Run The Jewels. FUCKING HELL. See these guys live. Never pass that chance up. We got there really early because we knew it was going to be chaos, and got two rows from the front. Had a few hours and several pints to psych ourselves up, but I wasn't ready man. I wasn't ready at all.

Their energy is nuts. The whole room was bouncing from start to finish, and I'm literally aching this morning. Total nonstop jumping around like a loon. Even when they played slower joints like Sea Legs the place was still writhing.

Anyway, a fucking incredible weekend. Living in Aberdeen, it's hard to get to hip-hop gigs, and I feel very privileged to have seen three of my favourite acts over one weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't realise he had a new one out but last year's EP was pretty good. I'll get on that.

Engrossed in the new Clear Soul Forces at the moment. Super lyrical rappity rap with punchlines being thrown around with no regard for health and safety. Real good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My favourite hip hop record of the year:

Image result for czarface a fistful of peril

You recommended this lot aaaages ago, and I ignored you, because I'm an idiot. I heard this, then I worked backwards. They're so damn fun. I don't know why I slept on it, as I dig Deck, and I bloody love 7L Esoteric.

Their artwork is immense too. Look at that piece. That colossal death robot is wearing a cape and crushing a handful of puny humans in his gigantic fist, and his other fist looks like it has a rocket ready to launch, ready to kill even more humans. Majestic.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I love Czarface. They're the thrash metal of rap: their sound is deeply rooted in tradition, but it's fun, scruffy, and doesn't take itself too seriously (insane number of wrestling references on their new record). Great album, and I'm impressed with their longevity. Would've been easy for a group like that to fall off after the first album, but nah.

Deck is underrated. Wu obviously have a strong stable of MCs, but he's head and shoulders above U-God, Cappadonna, and especially RZA. He just never found a way to harness his skill outside of the group's albums, so I'm happy he's found a winning team with 7L & Esoteric. 

Edited by Murrr