aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

Awww min. I adore Illmatic, and don't think anyone's ever made a better hip-hop album. I think it's a perfect marriage of beats and rhymes, thought it took me a long time to fully appreciate its beauty. I took a strange path into hip-hop and started with experimental artists like Aesop Rock and a bunch of other Def Jux/Anticon dudes, and for whatever reason it took me a good few years before I was able to fully enjoy "traditional" hip-hop like Illmatic, Ready to Die, Reasonable Doubt, The Infamous, etc. 

I obviously won't make an objective case for the album's quality, but (judging from your posts) you were into things like Cannibal Ox, El-P, etc. before exploring the classics, right? Maybe you'll take a similar path to me. 

Awww min. I adore Illmatic, and don't think anyone's ever made a better hip-hop album. I think it's a perfect marriage of beats and rhymes, thought it took me a long time to fully appreciate its beauty. I took a strange path into hip-hop and started with experimental artists like Aesop Rock and a bunch of other Def Jux/Anticon dudes, and for whatever reason it took me a good few years before I was able to fully enjoy "traditional" hip-hop like Illmatic, Ready to Die, Reasonable Doubt, The Infamous, etc. 

I obviously won't make an objective case for the album's quality, but (judging from your posts) you were into things like Cannibal Ox, El-P, etc. before exploring the classics, right? Maybe you'll take a similar path to me. 

Yeah, I don't really go looking for hip hop so it's just "classics" that I end up listening to really. I love The Infamous, Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers etc. It's not the production quality so much as the actual backing track/beatz. But saying that, I also didn't like Liquid Swords at first, so I'll have to listen to it a few more times.

Edited by Teabags

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe they'll grow on me, but I'm not enjoying these new Kendrick songs at all. Though this one is at least a bit of a step-up from "I", which was one of the least enjoyable songs I've heard this year.

Black Happy/TDE have generally had a very disappointing year, IMO. Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q both released subpar albums and sounded like watered-down versions of their former selves, and the Kendrick/Jay Rock albums that were pencilled in for 2014 haven't materialised yet. Isaiah Rashad was the only guy from that stable to release anything I'd call above average.

Aside from that, I think it's been a great year for hip-hop. RTJ2 is one of the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard, MadGibbs was outstanding, Diamond District blew me away, and PRhyme and Ghostface have just dropped two late AOTY contenders.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty buzzed for this album's release on the 20th. I've always thought that Pro Era were the weakest of the Beast Coast movement's three big groups, but every track that Joey's dropped lately has been great. Kinda formulaic, but I'm a sucker for well-executed boom-bap sounds. I'm glad he's toned down the weird grunty delivery he was using for a while and all.

Edited by Murrr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Noisey just posted an article about this guy. Really liking his white-boy-come-G style, it's almost an indie band sound.

https://soundcloud.com/post-malone/white-iverson

https://soundcloud.com/post-malone/thats-it-prod-by-fki

edit: no idea how to embed soundcloud still

double edit: nvm, you just post the link

Edited by ca_gere

Listening to the Drake mixtape. Pretty enjoyable so far. No clear commercial bangerz half way through. I've hated on him a lot in the past but have come round to him in the last year or so. He's started being involved in the NBA coverage of Raptors games and comes across really well. That shouldn't affect what I think of his music but it does. That and the fact that I started asking 'who's this?' when i'd come across a track I liked and kept getting the answer 'Drake' a lot. Some/all of his lyrics are a bit cringey/outdated generic hip hop gloating but i'm beginning to like his favored style of production more and more.

What do you think of his hip-hop tracks vs. his R&B songs? I really cannot stand Drake as a rapper (nasally delivery, corny lyrics, faux "hardness"), but I kinda like his R&B stuff. He just seems much more comfortable in that lane. Not that I go out of my way to listen to them, but if they just happen to come on, I can get into them. "Lord Knows" is a certified banger though.

Speaking of his NBA involvement, here's him fawning over Paul Pierce last night:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjO32MjiA8Y

Topic swerve, but that new Kendrick joints needs some more love. That thing is hot lava. I made the mistake of listening to it before bed, and subsequently ended-up staying-up for another couple of hours picking it apart. It just seems like such a perfect encapsulation of the current racial tensions in America. Really pumped for his album now, especially if there are more tracks like this and less like "I".

What do you think of his hip-hop tracks vs. his R&B songs? I really cannot stand Drake as a rapper (nasally delivery, corny lyrics, faux "hardness"), but I kinda like his R&B stuff. He just seems much more comfortable in that lane. Not that I go out of my way to listen to them, but if they just happen to come on, I can get into them. "Lord Knows" is a certified banger though.

Speaking of his NBA involvement, here's him fawning over Paul Pierce last night:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjO32MjiA8Y

Topic swerve, but that new Kendrick joints needs some more love. That thing is hot lava. I made the mistake of listening to it before bed, and subsequently ended-up staying-up for another couple of hours picking it apart. It just seems like such a perfect encapsulation of the current racial tensions in America. Really pumped for his album now, especially if there are more tracks like this and less like "I".

That's pretty much the same as me, although i'm coming around to the rapping. I mean, he's far away from being a favourite in any shape of form but I was interested enough to stick on the mixtape first thing this morning.

I saw Kendrick live once and thought he was utter shit, haven't listened to anything of his since. I'll give it a bash and see if I was wrong to judge.