aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Here's a new Jay Electronica song. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/cracktracks504/jay-electronica-better-in-tune

Maybe this means his album will be released within the next ten years.

He released a freestyle over a SOULJA BOY beat the other day and all. It was really, really awful. Even his flow -- he basically jacked the Migos flow for his verse, and Migos are total shite. Poor show, Jay Elec.

Pinata is an incredible album. I am honestly struggling to find a fault in it. It's just so perfectly executed! Gibbs' performance is flawless, and I've had tiny little Madlib loops in my head for weeks. Best hip-hop album since GKMC, in my humble.

I've got that, Dag Savage and Isaiah Rashad in my top three for the year so far.

Sake. Can't make that Red & Meth gig. Perfect timing (IE: not a week day), mate's busy. Fizzin'.

Madvillain was 10 years old the other week, somehow. Let's celebrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ooWlezNpdU

Also, the new CunninLynguists album is available for free download until tomorrow. You should all cop it, because they're really, really good. Kno, the producer, should be in more GOAT discussions. http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/

• Upvote 1

Anyone into Kevin Gates? I'm often a bit put-off by trap rap, but this guy's mad versatile. Good singer, excellent rapper, flips between flows and cadences so deftly that you'll hardly even notice. The level of detail in his lyrics is insane at times. 

Even Curren$y sounds better than his usual shitty self on this.

Curren$y is great!

Sometimes.

I have The Luca Brasi Story by Kevin Gates but I've not listened to it much.

Luca Brasi is probably his best project. I think it's great -- you should give it a bash. I really like that Gates isn't afraid to show some vulnerability: so few rappers are willing to do that, it's often all about being some invincible tough bloke. Not Gates. He's got some monster bangers, too.

I really, really tried with Curren$y. I listened to both Pilot Talk projects, and another couple of tapes/albums that he released at the time, but I really can't dig his style. I just find his delivery so sleepy and unengaging.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking... wait a minute, 'Nia' is from 'today' but it came out 15 years ago. Fuckin hell!

As much as you are a clear troll/nob you raise an interesting question (without realizing I'm sure)... has the 'backpack' hip hop vs mainstream hip hop divide been broken down in more recent years? Commerical hip hop definitely seems a little more 'conscious' these days and maybe i'm a bit out of the loop but it also seems the 'alternative' stuff is less purposefully un-gangster.

I'm thinking... wait a minute, 'Nia' is from 'today' but it came out 15 years ago. Fuckin hell!

As much as you are a clear troll/nob you raise an interesting question (without realizing I'm sure)... has the 'backpack' hip hop vs mainstream hip hop divide been broken down in more recent years? Commerical hip hop definitely seems a little more 'conscious' these days and maybe i'm a bit out of the loop but it also seems the 'alternative' stuff is less purposefully un-gangster.

Trolling the forum just because I've got nothing better to do tonight... If I'm honest. I'd say back in the day, everything was main stream ain't it? But from what I see hip hop today is as good as pop, manufactured shite. Just a money maker. You've got lil wayne, that drake and White American girls rapping about 'yolo, $wag' and it's just bollocks!

Music has lost it's touch nowadays. People assume that if a band are not in the album shirts or whatever, they are apparently shit?

Listen to Freddie Gibbs and tell me gangsta rap can't be utterly fucking brilliant.

Surface level hip-hop is bollocks, but this is the same in literally every single genre. Calling today's hip-hop "manufactured shite" and a "money grab" shows that you've not really dug below the surface, and name-dropping Lil' Wayne and Drake confirms it. 

Moaning about the charts is about as tiresome a point as you can make about music. The charts will contain a load of crap and some good stuff. Look to other sources for music and you'll find a whole lot more good music. As well as a whole lot more crap. It's the same for absolutely every genre with the amount of good stuff in the charts varying depending on trends at the time.

And comments like "music has lost touch" just make you sound like a cranky old man who thinks the only good music is the first music he got into. Music he got into because it was in the charts at the time. But of course the charts were better back then.

Moaning about the charts is about as tiresome a point as you can make about music. The charts will contain a load of crap and some good stuff. Look to other sources for music and you'll find a whole lot more good music. As well as a whole lot more crap. It's the same for absolutely every genre with the amount of good stuff in the charts varying depending on trends at the time.

And comments like "music has lost touch" just make you sound like a cranky old man who thinks the only good music is the first music he got into. Music he got into because it was in the charts at the time. But of course the charts were better back then.

Nah, the way I look at it is, people are sucked into this belief that you have to go on the xfactor or bgt to make it big. 'Oh you're different from the rest because you're singing a Katy perry song and play an acoustic guitar? Go f*** yourself!'