aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

I used the word alt because Spirituals, jazz etc is quite archetypal american black music.

and hip hop isn't? o_O also, if there's one abbreviation to apply to jazz its 'alt'

Pedantry aside, early Pharcyde contained some of the best raps for me.

I agree with murr that there should be more hip hop/rap threads, it's just a shame that every single one ends up with someone writing 'fo shizzle' or some such embarrassing anachronistic attempt at black slang.

I agree with murr that there should be more hip hop/rap threads, it's just a shame that every single one ends up with someone writing 'fo shizzle' or some such embarrassing anachronistic attempt at black slang.

Maybe we should all post a tune that are among our favourites and what we think folks should check out.

I will take the initiative:

Great video too. :)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Word. No, I'm serious...

Pharcyde stuff is overrated in my opinion, I don't appreciate the production. A few jamz on the first album though.

Serious albums for me?

Nas - Illmatic

Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 chambers)

GZA - Liquid Swords

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Keith Thornton - Dr. Octagonecologyst (can't find my fuckin copy)

Edan - Beauty and the beat (probably my favourite rap album of the last 10 years since the rest of my taste seems to be stuck in a hole somewhere in the mid 90s)

Other favourites:

-Any of the first 3 Tribe albums

-ODB - 36 chambers (dirty version)

- Jeru the damaja - sun rises in the east

-Most of the Ghostface albums are fairly decent, I prefer his voice over the harder wutang beats though, not the softer production that he seems to favour.

-Alkaholiks - 21 & over

-Gang Starr - Hard To earn

-Mobb Deep - The Infamous (production too samey but some real classics tracks)

- Gravediggaz - 6 feet deep

Controversial:

Biggie's albums aren't great. The man was nice on the mic, but I can't listen to Life After Death with a straight face thanks to Puffy & co's whack production. The Preemo joints are hot (especially 'Kick In The Door') but can anyone really listen to both discs of that shit and honestly act like it's a rap classic? The first is far more consistent but revisiting it I get bored listening to be honest.

Rap albums of the 21st century that have impressed me: as mentioned previously since I got into this type of music and found myself fairly obsessed with it I have been buying stuff from an era that most people would consider 'classic' if not 'old school'. I do however occasionally check out newer stuff that I like:

GZA - pro tools (after a string of apparently awful solo albums following liquid swords, this one released late last year is not a million miles away from his debut...no not THAT debut)

Masta Killa - no said date (2nd rate clan member waits a decade for his solo to come out while the rest of his group's material nosedives and shames most of them with a pretty consistent, kung-fu laden LP which btw also features nearly all if not all of the other wu tangers)

(MF) Doom - Born like this (first of his stuff i've heard, more to follow very shortly, love it!)

Blu & Mainframe - Johnson & Jonson (west coast rap without the west coast sound, much-hyped Blu spits a young but fairly impressive collection of words over fairly raw, upbeat soul sampling beats courtesy of mainframe - i must check out more of what these guys are doing).

How about some rap singles? Many of my favourites either weren't on albums, weren't successful enough to warrant an album or led to albums that plain SUCKED.

My favourite 90s rap mix is here...I beg you to listen to it

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

A few of my favourites:

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Arrested Development - 3 years, 5 Months, 2 Days In The Life Of

Dr Dre - The Chronic (though only because of Snoop Dogg)

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers

Jurassic 5 - J5 LP

K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher

Biggie - Ready To Die

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions

Snoop Dogg - No Limit Top Dogg

Xzibit - 40 Days And 40 Nights

DMX - Then There Was X

Some of the Wu Tang solo stuff is pretty good, Method Man is probably my favourite of the lot and Raekwon isn't bad.

Oh and Eminem, the Marshall Mathers LP.

Word. No, I'm serious...

Pharcyde stuff is overrated in my opinion, I don't appreciate the production. A few jamz on the first album though.

Serious albums for me?

Nas - Illmatic

Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 chambers)

GZA - Liquid Swords

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Keith Thornton - Dr. Octagonecologyst (can't find my fuckin copy)

Edan - Beauty and the beat (probably my favourite rap album of the last 10 years since the rest of my taste seems to be stuck in a hole somewhere in the mid 90s)

Other favourites:

-Any of the first 3 Tribe albums

-ODB - 36 chambers (dirty version)

- Jeru the damaja - sun rises in the east

-Most of the Ghostface albums are fairly decent, I prefer his voice over the harder wutang beats though, not the softer production that he seems to favour.

-Alkaholiks - 21 & over

-Gang Starr - Hard To earn

-Mobb Deep - The Infamous (production too samey but some real classics tracks)

- Gravediggaz - 6 feet deep

Controversial:

Biggie's albums aren't great. The man was nice on the mic, but I can't listen to Life After Death with a straight face thanks to Puffy & co's whack production. The Preemo joints are hot (especially 'Kick In The Door') but can anyone really listen to both discs of that shit and honestly act like it's a rap classic? The first is far more consistent but revisiting it I get bored listening to be honest.

Rap albums of the 21st century that have impressed me: as mentioned previously since I got into this type of music and found myself fairly obsessed with it I have been buying stuff from an era that most people would consider 'classic' if not 'old school'. I do however occasionally check out newer stuff that I like:

GZA - pro tools (after a string of apparently awful solo albums following liquid swords, this one released late last year is not a million miles away from his debut...no not THAT debut)

Masta Killa - no said date (2nd rate clan member waits a decade for his solo to come out while the rest of his group's material nosedives and shames most of them with a pretty consistent, kung-fu laden LP which btw also features nearly all if not all of the other wu tangers)

(MF) Doom - Born like this (first of his stuff i've heard, more to follow very shortly, love it!)

Blu & Mainframe - Johnson & Jonson (west coast rap without the west coast sound, much-hyped Blu spits a young but fairly impressive collection of words over fairly raw, upbeat soul sampling beats courtesy of mainframe - i must check out more of what these guys are doing).

How about some rap singles? Many of my favourites either weren't on albums, weren't successful enough to warrant an album or led to albums that plain SUCKED.

My favourite 90s rap mix is here...I beg you to listen to it

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

The production on Pharcyde stuff was never what interested me. I got into them when I was fairly young and didn't have a clue about that sort of stuff. I just loved the way they half sung their rhymes and their flow seemed completely different to what was around at the same time.

Agree on tribe, listen to them a lot still. Q-tip's last album is pretty good too.

I feel you have to wade through a lot of guff to get to the good Wu Tang stuff and so my fave album of theirs would probably be The Rza Hits.

Never listened to much MF Doom, might have to get stuck into it seeing as a few folk mention them.

Dunno where I stand on Biggie. He's got some absolute corkers and his rapping I find quite hypnotic. It's just a shame that everything he's ever done has been rejigged and over produced with some whiny female voice put over the top.

Best G funk rapper? Dj Quick!!!! Love the guy. Constantly talking bout his dick and sipping forties over the most californian of beats. YouTube - Dj Quik - Tonite

Favourite newer stuff:

Atmosphere

Doseone

aesop rock

alias

actually come to think of if, where are the hip hop 'groups' nowadays? Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, etc... there seems to be less new ones nockin about.

Great shout on Arrested Development. Solid album. Even if it does yammer on about jesus. It's like if a primary school teacher taught the class by rapping, and you're just sat there listening in, except he takes a strange tangent of going on about how he punched a sucker for hassling his girl. Love that record.

Nas' Illmatic, GZA's Liquid Swords (this is now 3 quid in OneUp. GET IT!) and Edan's Beauty and The Beat are probably my top 3. Tribes Midnight Marauders and Wu's 36 Chambers closely follow. Possibly J5's Quality Control or the first Binary Star record too, for that fun party hip hop stuff.

Prefuse73's Uprock Narritives is also incredible, but it is roughly 1/2 instrumental. But the beats are just as important as rhymes. I love beats.

To go against popular opinion... I'm really not all that big on Raekwon's Cuban Linx. Apart from this, Liquid Swords and Bobby Digital, I haven't heard any other WU solo records. I should rectify this.

Regarding Biggie; I think Ready to Die is an absolute pearl but I can't really stomach most of the posthumous stuff that's been released. Life After Death did absolutely nothing for me, and Duets was craptastic. The guy's flow is always solid, but Puff Daddy Diddy Doodly can take a hike.

Madvillain was brilliant. I've not yet listened to much of Doom's other stuff, but the Madvillain album didn't leave my CD player for a long time.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien, anyone? Guy's just so much fun to listen to; real nice beats and a smooth flow. I Wish My Brother George Was Here is probably his best solo effort, but the Deltron 3030 album is on a completely different level.

I tried to get into Gang Starr and Mobb Deep but really couldn't, for whatever reason. Should probably give them another chance. I'm about to check out Black Star (Blackstar?) and Blackalicious. Any Dead Prez fans on here? I picked up one of their albums (can't remember the title) and it was an absolute cracker. Production was a little bit repetitive at times, but golly gosh, Steven! The flows!