aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

trust me when i say that he is not an 'album' rapper. ready to die on the whole is overrated but at least it has an above-average amount of decent tracks. aside from the few gems on 'life after death' i will honestly say that i think it's a pile of shit. weak production from most of the collaborators, corny beats and bad guest spots.

personal faves are Juicy, Kick In The Door & 10 Crack Commandments

My favourite Biggie tracks are Gimme The Loot, Warning, Big Poppa, Hypnotize, Who Shot Ya and Going Back To Cali.

Talking of East Coast hip hop the Beastie Boys have a new album out soon, ha ha. Must be the most successful East Coast rap act...or do they not count in such things being white and all?

It's not another instrumental album is it? I liked the last one, because they are very skilled musicians, but I just want to hear some rap songs about how good they are at rapping and not some fucking lounge jazz.

trust me when i say that he is not an 'album' rapper. ready to die on the whole is overrated but at least it has an above-average amount of decent tracks. aside from the few gems on 'life after death' i will honestly say that i think it's a pile of shit. weak production from most of the collaborators, corny beats and bad guest spots.

personal faves are Juicy, Kick In The Door & 10 Crack Commandments

I actually rarely listen to rap these days compared to what I used to...although I have Enter the Wu Tang on my I Pod and this thread has inspired me to have a blast. Still great. I have no idea about recent rap, when I do listen to it it's usually early Public Enemy, Straight Outta Compton or Beastie Boys. Or Jurassic 5's first album.My taste is a bit dated regarding rap I guess.

Any recommendations for more recent stuff based on those comparisons gratefully received.

It's not another instrumental album is it? I liked the last one, because they are very skilled musicians, but I just want to hear some rap songs about how good they are at rapping and not some fucking lounge jazz.

No it's a proper rap album I think. To be called 'Hot Sauce Committee' apparently but was going to be called 'Tadlock's Glasses', after a former tour bus driver called Tadlock who was presented with a pair of glasses by Elvis Presley. I think that would have been a better title just for the background story.

I wasn't overly keen on the last instrumental album, it wasn't as good as the previous stuff collected on 'The In Sounds From Way Out'.

I like the Beastie Boys, always entertaining and make great videos with bizarre reference points.

I'm not big on the first J5 record. The songs being seperated by instrumentals kind of annoys me. Quality Control and Power in Numbers flow alot better and don't get slowed down by the lack of rapping.

My favourite recent hip hop record is Everywhere at Once by Lyrics Born. I was very skeptical at first as there is no sampling or 'beats' as such. Everything is recorded instrumentally, but it's very good. It verges on corny r'n'b some of the time, but it's still good. He's a very composed rapper. He barely raises his voice, and just smooth talks his way through the tracks, in a Snoop sort of way.

I also like a bit of Abdominal, for rapping about how good he is at rapping.

My favourite rap album of recent years is "The Dusty Foot Philosopher" by K'naan. It's a great album. He's got a really natural, laid back style that's great to listen to. It's actually has a nice message as well, instead of guys just posturing and rapping about killing people and shagging girls.

I've always thought the Beastie Boys have a few great songs per album, but an awful lot of self indulgent noodling as well.

Yeah 'Hello Nasty' was way too long and 'To The 5 Boroughs' just meandered a bit much. Saw them in Glasgow on that tour though for the 3rd time, amazing. The Star Trek references in the 'Ch-Check It Out' vid with retrospect has them ahead of the game again now the films out!

Although 'Paul's Boutique' is rightly lauded for it's innovative sound and it does have a fair few great songs on it, 'Check Your Head' and 'Ill Communication' are probably their best efforts overall. Shit, even 'Licensed to Ill' is good for a laugh now and then.

Nice thread. I grew up listening almost solely to west coast hip hop because i loved the fat basslines and really thick sound to the production on a lot of it and always felt that the east coast stuff was too tinny and thin sounding. As I got older and started to pay more attention to the wordplay, however, I changed my opinion and over the last few years I've listened a lot more intently to the east coast stuff. The way Biggie paints pictures is seriously impressive and the sheer fury in the early Wu Tang stuff is palpable. One of the best tracks from that era is method man's appearance on Ready to Die. The two rappers play off each other really well.

• 1 month later...
Talking hippidy hop or rap, here?

I.E. Does it include public enemy?

Also i'm fond of the Bizzle. He is awesome.

Let's just put it all under one big alt-black music umbrella. (I.e, I'm not entirely sure on the big difference myself. I'm sure there is one. I just don't know what it is)

I liked 'Fear of a Black Planet' more than 'It takes a nation...' which is apparently, strange.

Bizzle is okay, but not in the same realm as Jay H.O.V.A

My favourite's probably Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest or summink, although I have a hard time chosing between 2 or 3 of their albums. Q-Tip's solo last year was a belter too.

Some of the Wu-Tang solo albums are outrageously good - Liquid Swords, Fishscale, Supreme Clientele, Tical, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, As Bobby Digital In Stereo, etc. 36 Chambers as well, obviously.

Aesop Rock's Labor Days. Thick, dense beats and a complex flow. Almost kinda like science-fiction rap.

Biggie's Ready to Die is out of this world, and Nas' Illmatic is an album I'm really beginning to appreciate.

Those are a few of my personal favourites. I fucking love Reasonable Doubt, though; even if the hook on Brooklyn's Finest is one of the cheesiest things I've ever heard.

This site needs more rap threads.