aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 'mF deM' LP is wonderful. I'd not heard of deM atlaS before. I saw MF Doom had a collab record out last year and assumed Doom was rapping and deM atlaS was producing, whoever he was.

Its the other way around. So now I know who deM atlaS is. He is a good rapper. Really good record. Fresh, laid back, fun as fuck. 

Also, really digging this album at the moment

Image result for ghostface killah twelve reasons to die lp

The story is just batshit. Starks breaks away from the Deluca family, becomes a druglord of his own gang, falls in love with the daughter for the Deluca kingpin, Deluca daughter sets him up, has him whacked, his body is melted in to vinyl records, when played, the invincible Ghostface Killah rises and kills the shite out of everyone. Bonkers.

On 21/01/2017 at 10:15 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Also, really digging this album at the moment

Image result for ghostface killah twelve reasons to die lp

The story is just batshit. Starks breaks away from the Deluca family, becomes a druglord of his own gang, falls in love with the daughter for the Deluca kingpin, Deluca daughter sets him up, has him whacked, his body is melted in to vinyl records, when played, the invincible Ghostface Killah rises and kills the shite out of everyone. Bonkers.

This is a great album. Ghostface is constantly jostling with Nas for the celebrated and prestigious honour of "Murrr's favourite rapper," and one of the main reasons I feel he's an under-the-radar G.O.A.T. candidate  is his consistency. 20+ years after 36 Chambers and he's still churning out good records. Mental.

12 Reasons is a lot less manic than Ghost's usual output, but he makes up for it with the story's goofiness. The thing that surprised me most, however, was Adrian Younge's production: I usually find his take on soul music quite flat and colourless, but he kept it dusty and grimy without sacrificing the album's cinematic feel. 

The Apollo Brown remix of this album, "The Brown Tape," is strong too. The sequel is decent, but not quite on the same level. Somehow, I own four different versions of 12 Reasons (standard, instrumental, Brown Tape, brown tape instrumental) and I don't even buy physical media anymore. Wild.

I agree on the sequel. Too much focus on guest spots, which sort of makes the story-telling quite jarring, when it should all centre around Ghost. It just doesn't work as well, though it's still not too bad.

Both albums seem to get mixed reviews. Reviewers seem to either love it, or they just hammer the hell out of it, which seems bizarre. No middle ground. I prefer it to a lot of Ghost's solo output, even though it's not quite as manic. On some of his solo output, he seems to have this idea that he can sing a hook or a chorus, and he really shouldn't. There's a track towards the start of Supreme Clientele where he tries to sing a melody. It is pretty awful.

Don't ever sing, Ghost. Just bellow about how you're going to kill everybody.

• 3 weeks later...

Great new records from Lupe Fiasco, Sean Leon, Two-9, and Migos already this year. The Migos record was particularly surprising to me: they started life as a goofy novelty act, but they've really refined their sound over the years. Still a few crude moments, but they've perfected their trademark rapping style and the beats are smooth and chill.

Shaping up to be a tremendous year.

• 5 months later...

@Murrr the Hip Hop guru - You got any shouts for Grime that isn't terrible?

I like the odd track, Stormzy has a couple of bangers, and the boy Wiley has some really great flows, but then trying to listen to an album's worth of these guys, there's so many awful tracks - bordering on unlistenable, littered with some of the worst production I've ever heard. Some of it sounds like they've nabbed some loops off of Ejay. (remember EJAY?!)

Any more solid artists out there that have a bit of consistency? Preferably more on the aggro side, with nasty beats, but anything worth checking out really.

My impression of grime so far, of which is minimal, is that it doesn't lend itself well to the album format, and seems to be more focused on individual tracks. I'm hoping you can prove me wrong.

I'm not Murr but I frequently go on grime binges. I'll listen to a bunch of albums and get maybe 3 or 4 tracks in 20 that I like. Grime is a tough one. I'll play a handful of tracks on repeat and hate the rest of the album.

I've found that a lot of the good grime these days is a bit more sedate than it used to be. It's like everyone wants to have that US crossover sound like Giggs and Kano. If you're into that, Wretch 32 is worth a listen imo. His bars are great but it does veer a little commercial. Flowdan fits this mould a bit too.

youve got to dig a little for the good frenetic stuff. The early grime is of course mental but I find it quite hard to get into and as you say it's a lot of one-offs. I think you must come from a specific few post codes in London to really enjoy a lot of the early stuff. Ghetts and JME still sound pretty raw/old skool. 

Bonus banger I came across recently:

22 minutes ago, Teabags said:

@ca_gere I went and bought that Ghetts mixtape. it's so fucking good. yas.

Nice one. That's the standout track for me but the rest is quality. Been playing it a fair bit recently. 

I listened to dizzy rascal on sway in the morning talking about the glory days of grime a while back and found out about Ghetts through a path of 'sounds like' and 'inspired by'. He namechecks a bunch of decent stuff. His five fingers of death is ace too. You can tell as soon as the grime beat comes in he gets comfortable.

... if you just wanna hear the five fingers bit:

13 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Nice one. That's the standout track for me but the rest is quality. Been playing it a fair bit recently. 

Is Ghetts actually rappin on this? Do you know the order of the MCs? So good, especially whoever is first and last and whoever says "I've gotta be a prick I'm in a world full of cunts".

On 11/07/2017 at 10:59 AM, Soda Jerk said:

@Murrr the Hip Hop guru - You got any shouts for Grime that isn't terrible?

I like the odd track, Stormzy has a couple of bangers, and the boy Wiley has some really great flows, but then trying to listen to an album's worth of these guys, there's so many awful tracks - bordering on unlistenable, littered with some of the worst production I've ever heard. Some of it sounds like they've nabbed some loops off of Ejay. (remember EJAY?!)

Any more solid artists out there that have a bit of consistency? Preferably more on the aggro side, with nasty beats, but anything worth checking out really.

My impression of grime so far, of which is minimal, is that it doesn't lend itself well to the album format, and seems to be more focused on individual tracks. I'm hoping you can prove me wrong.

Not a fan to be honest man. I find the genre very regressive, particularly in the production. Beats after often paper-thin and completely devoid of depth and weight. The rappers, I find, are defined primarily by distractingly bad delivery. For a genre named "grime," I don't get much actual grime at all. I've never encountered a grime artist who portrays the struggle as well as more traditional hip-hop artists, and the bulk of the genre appears to be comprised of cartoonish nonsense like Dizzee Rascal and Giggs.

I'm generalising, but these seem to be common themes throughout most of the grime I've listened to, even among the genre's supposed leading lights.

Skepta's "Konnichiwa" album is full of bangers, though.

15 hours ago, Murrr said:

Not a fan to be honest man. I find the genre very regressive, particularly in the production. Beats after often paper-thin and completely devoid of depth and weight. The rappers, I find, are defined primarily by distractingly bad delivery. For a genre named "grime," I don't get much actual grime at all. I've never encountered a grime artist who portrays the struggle as well as more traditional hip-hop artists, and the bulk of the genre appears to be comprised of cartoonish nonsense like Dizzee Rascal and Giggs.

I'm generalising, but these seem to be common themes throughout most of the grime I've listened to, even among the genre's supposed leading lights.

Skepta's "Konnichiwa" album is full of bangers, though.

That's pretty much the impression I'm getting after doing a bit of digging. The occasional good track, but so much awful production that sounds incredibly amateurish. The bad to good ratio doesn't make digging through the bad worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from one of the best hip hop gigs I've ever been to. Holy shit this girl is everything!

Latasha Alcindor

Her show was just incredible. Straight into my top 5 best shows ever. It was part cinema, part dancey thheater and most part straight rap. Incredible.

Her stuff that's available on Spotify might not do her justice, haven't listened to it all but this girl is gonna be huge I reckon. Wow!

Revoke thee and practice on the q train highlights if you're skimming.

My wife cried at this gig, it was so good. One of her tracks was about her brother who got shot and she stood in the crowd doing it, crying and everything. One of those gigs you just can't describe how good it was.