aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

• 4 weeks later...

Great game. Cleared the story mode. Snoop Dogg is the final boss, and he is fucking nails, despite him being one of the more scrawny looking rappers. Henry Rollins as personal trainer is pretty great, then you turn against him and have a scrap. Pretty deep story.

Anyway, today was all about this:

Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_(album_cover)

It's not aged particularly well. The production still sounds huge, but Ice Cube's flow is LOLbad. "And all you new jacks can swing on my nuts". Badass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been listening to Vic Mensa's mixtape a bunch recently. In the same vain as Chance the Rapper, but I prefer this slightly to Acid Rap:

https://soundcloud.com/fuck-vic-mensa/sets/innanetape

I had tickets to a gig he was playing at last night but couldn't go coz I couldn't find a dog-sitter :(

The lineup was immense too. Was really looking forward to seeing this guy. Great name

and this guy looked intense. Terrible but intense.

Did you catch the Slaughterhouse cypher? Crooked I murdered everything within a 500-mile radius. Then Kendrick came along... Jesus.

Yeah that was great too, tough luck for royce da 5'9 having to follow it, sounded weak.

I also like the kismet mixtape. Not listened to it enough though really.

• 3 weeks later...

Cubbiebear had a new record out a couple of months ago which slipped under my radar.

http://cubbiebear.bandcamp.com/album/force-back-to-sleep

Sounds good so far, for but not quite as heavy and abrasive as his previous full length, though his flow is still great.

http://cubbiebear.bandcamp.com/album/the-rape

His previous album, The Rape, is one of my favourite hip hop albums. The production is huge, in a noisy and glitchy sort of way. Kinda like Dalek, but not as prog and drawn out.

There's just not enough of this style of noisy hip hop around. If you know of more, I want it in my ears.

Cubbiebear had a new record out a couple of months ago which slipped under my radar.

http://cubbiebear.bandcamp.com/album/force-back-to-sleep

Sounds good so far, for but not quite as heavy and abrasive as his previous full length, though his flow is still great.

http://cubbiebear.bandcamp.com/album/the-rape

His previous album, The Rape, is one of my favourite hip hop albums. The production is huge, in a noisy and glitchy sort of way. Kinda like Dalek, but not as prog and drawn out.

There's just not enough of this style of noisy hip hop around. If you know of more, I want it in my ears.

After someone posted Kendrick Lamar's rap from that competition, I was reading about the feud with Drake. Apparently he dissed Drake in the Buried Alive interlude but I can't see it in the lyrics...

Drake would do very well to just leave the whole thing alone. The guy carries all the menace of baby kitten. I feel my skin crawl when he pulls that fake tough guy bollocks. Just go full-on wet blanket, dude. Make a full-on R&B album or whatever. I reckon it'd actually be quite good.

My view is that there is an EP worth of great material that stands-up to anything in his back catalogue. The rest is either missing something, or complete and utter shite.

Bad Guy is very good, especially when the beat flips and he loses his shit at the end.

Rap God is the best thing on the album. Just the way he switches between flows without skipping a beat... incredible. I don't see how anybody who's really into technical rapping could not enjoy it. The beat's a bit meh, but I think he's trying to say "I can go over a farty EDM beat and still sound better than everyone, fuck you."

Brainless is the best beat on the album and more monstrous flows.

Legacy is great, apart from the hook.

The rest of it is pretty whack. Stronger Than I Was is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Seriously. Worse than most of the shite in that shit songs thread. Listen to it for a laugh. Headlights is similarly bad, I just can't stand that bloke from Fun, his voice is rank. Survivor... fuck off. So Much Better... eat a dick sandwich. The Monster... eh, I think you get it.

His rapping is good throughout. The hooks are universally terrible. The beats are "meh." The lyrics aren't great. Meh.

So the three biggest rappers on the planet, Jay-Z, Kanye and Eminem, have all released dodgy albums this year. Nae good.