aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Its a grower. It has some standout tracks, but repeated listens made it all mesh together for me

Exactly this. The lazy rap style doesn't immediately grab you but after repeated listens it begins to draw you in. Like my cock, its a definite grower.

I'm gonna download that krit fella at some point and tell Android its shit even if I really like it.

Various news sites say "the entire crew", so that means all the main crew + Cappadonna & Ol' Dirty Impersonater I guess. But I imagine someone (probably Meth) will end up skipping some of the dates. But they're really good live (caught them last year), I'm giving it some consideration.

Yelawolf for support? Bit random.

quite like this.

Has anyone else noticed rappers are getting more preppy nowadays? The Kanye West effect. Much like the Kevin Keegan effect but more hip hop based. Hip hop culture as a whole seems to be changing a lot. The cool black kids in New York are all wearing thick rimmed specs and jodpurs while they breakdance, it's weird. The end of being gangsta?

quite like this.

Has anyone else noticed rappers are getting more preppy nowadays? The Kanye West effect. Much like the Kevin Keegan effect but more hip hop based. Hip hop culture as a whole seems to be changing a lot. The cool black kids in New York are all wearing thick rimmed specs and jodpurs while they breakdance, it's weird. The end of being gangsta?

I do like this. Your hiphop recommendations are always spot on.

I don't think he looks too preppy though. Seems to just be very plain clothed, like Jurassic 5 or something.

I do like this. Your hiphop recommendations are always spot on.

I don't think he looks too preppy though. Seems to just be very plain clothed, like Jurassic 5 or something.

Not specifically this guy. just in general there seems to be a tendancy towards dressing more preppy than the traditional baggy jeans + whitey + durag.

Not specifically this guy. just in general there seems to be a tendancy towards dressing more preppy than the traditional baggy jeans + whitey + durag.

I'm all for it. Those XXXXXL shirts and jeans at the knees aren't doing anybody any favours.

Is Chris Young The Rapper really his performing alias?

Christ, people talk about hip-hop on here these days? I should login more often.

I think it's been a great year for the genre thus far, although my hip-hop tastes are probably a lot more conventional than most of you. Lots of good music being released. Pharoahe Monch's "W.A.R" is, for me, the best record that's been released this year. Sonically somewhere between his other two albums with solid production and predictably excellent lyricism. His delivery is second-to-none and tracks like Haile Selassie Karate and Clap (One Day) show it.

Saigon's album was ace, and it's testament to the combined talent of the MC and Just Blaze that it still sounds fresh even five years after it was recorded. I disagree with the comment that it's a bit too long, though: I think it works excellently as an epic trek through the guy's life and the way the songs segue into one another is really nicely done. Saigon is such a good storyteller, hopefully he gets another album out sooner rather than later.

Talib Kweli's "Gutter Rainbows" was alright. Some solid tracks but it's not as good as last year's Reflection Eternal release, and his shtick is getting a bit tiresome now. Still some fire on there though.

The new Atmosphere album is... interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it yet. Dark, minimalistic beats with more guitar than every, and the lyrics? Slug's stories are grimmer than they've ever been. There are a few great songs on it that struck me straight away, but I need to get myself into the right mindset for this record again so that I can give it a proper chance.

I liked the Big K.R.I.T. release but it's got a shitload of filler and a few too many Outkast-lite sounding tracks for my liking. He's clearly a capable MC and I'm looking forward to the day when he ditches the mixtapes and focuses his energy into a proper album.

Reks' "R.E.K.S." is mint. Classic '90's sound with the likes of Primo, Pete Rock, Hi-Tek and Nottz on the boards. I'm usually not so into retro throwback music but this album is great fun.

I'm currently really enjoying Skyzoo & Illmind's "Live from the Tape Deck," which came out last year. The production is great if you don't mind synthesised beats and Skyzoo is a fantastic MC. His "Salvation" album in 2009 was class and I think he has another solo album out this year, so I'll be looking out for that.

New Raekwon? Only listened to it once, but it sounded solid enough. Can't imagine it'll be as good as OB4CLII, but whatevs.

Lupe Fiasco's "Lasers" is the most disappointing piece of shit I've ever heard. Awful, awful album. One of the most talented MCs of his generation drops a massive stinker. He's said himself that he hates the album and there's been all kinds of talk of record company interference, but surely he could've done better than this? Sloppy, clumsy lines and terrible production bar a few exceptions. Too much of a focus on disgustingly cheesy choruses and glossy beats. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by an album.

Joell Ortiz's "Free Agent" is decent. I don't think there'll be a hip-hop track released in 2011 that's better than the Just Blaze-produced "Battle Cry". Absolutely fantastic. A couple of missteps on the album but that's to be expected given his label issues. He clearly has the raw talent to produce a top album but we'll probably be waiting a while for that.

Bit of a ramble, but aye. There you go.