aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Guest idol_wild
i'm not really sure what to post in this thread. content so far seems to be modern rap, from the DJ's perspective hip hop is getting far more progressive, is all of the LA and Glasgow beat scene relevent to this thread? what about older tracks? 'the hip hop thread' is a little bit vague. why dont we start a 'punk thread' as well?

It's okay. We get it. You like hip-hop loads more than us, and you know much more about it.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
It's okay. We get it. You like hip-hop loads more than us, and you know much more about it.

sorry internet tough guy, but try reading what i posted again.

'hip hop' is not strictly a straight term to describe a singular genre of music, like 'bossa nova' or 'folk rock'. people are banding a term about that could mean any of the things i mentioned - so why must you have a pop at me for wanting to clarify, and yes, hoping to talk at length about various types of music which I associate with the name or culture of 'hip hop' which I am enthusiastic about?

Guest idol_wild
sorry internet tough guy, but try reading what i posted again.

'hip hop' is not strictly a straight term to describe a singular genre of music, like 'bossa nova' or 'folk rock'. people are banding a term about that could mean any of the things i mentioned - so why must you have a pop at me for wanting to clarify, and yes, hoping to talk at length about various types of music which I associate with the name or culture of 'hip hop' which I am enthusiastic about?

Sorry, I wasn't having a 'pop' at all, it was just an off-the-cuff comment, as it came across to me that you dismissively disapproved of what people had previously posted in the thread.

I read threads like this to try and learn what I can about a genre I know little about, and what other people get out of it, and it just seemed like you struck in and told us that, effectively, it wasn't even hip-hop they were posting.

But happy to admit I misunderstood the intent behind your post. And apologise. And also happy to urge you to post more of the stuff you relate to, and associate with, hip-hop in that case. Because I'm really getting into some of this stuff.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Sorry, I wasn't having a 'pop' at all, it was just an off-the-cuff comment, as it came across to me that you dismissively disapproved of what people had previously posted in the thread.

I read threads like this to try and learn what I can about a genre I know little about, and what other people get out of it, and it just seemed like you struck in and told us that, effectively, it wasn't even hip-hop they were posting.

But happy to admit I misunderstood the intent behind your post. And apologise. And also happy to urge you to post more of the stuff you relate to, and associate with, hip-hop in that case. Because I'm really getting into some of this stuff.

i thought the 'punk' label analogy was a good one but it has clearly backfired, lol. all i meant is that there are those who will have a very clear idea of what they think hip hop is, someone else who feels the same with a totally different idea, and so i didn't want to post stuff for people to say "what the fuck is this shit?"

hip hop as an idea is evolving. just listen to some of the odd future, lil b, young l type beats coming out now. then compare them to the new york rick ross/diplomats style stuff. then your golden era boom bap stuff...then your RJD2, Dilla, Madlib type instrumental/'beats' scene stuff, it's all overlapped over time and there are so many different scenes coming out of it

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Really liked this.

What blogs do you guys use to hear new hip-hop/rap music? I mostly go by what people post here and on other forums but I sometimes frequent this blog: The Tape which although not exclusively hip-hop oriented is still pretty good. They posted a couple of Overdoz. tracks which I liked.

to be honest i just hear new stuff in the clubs and through word of mouth. i think the fader is supposed to be good for new music in general though?

That Pound record was good, but seriously, I am so sick of boys talking about getting their dick sucked. This isn't the nineties, N.W.A. and G-funk have been and gone - lets move on. The beat was great, but I just think there is ploenty more these MCs to talk about. A lot of the time I just think "surely you can do better than that?"

Don't get me wrong, I won't not listen to a tune because of it, but I'd much rather listen to something thats got some emotion, or is really dark, or really summery or has some mad word play over the whole "here check me - I'm great" sorta stuff.